This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack O'Neill in SGU

Now this is purely speculation. I was in the General section and there was a topic on what happened to Jack's clone and it got me thinking ...based on when Jack was cloned, Clo'Neill should be approaching, or is already past the age at which he could enlist. This is certainly the path he would choose, essentially the real O'Neill, he has all of the same memories and personality. It's also not beyong reason that he be assigned to the SGC or atleast some part of the Stargate program. What if Clo'Neill were to appear on SGU? Thoughts and concerns please.

Plus Michael Welch who played him. Is busy with the Twilight movies. He is Mike Newton!!!
    MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
    MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
    POLARIS TORONTO 2007
    CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
    GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
    VCON VANCOUVER 2010
    FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

I think it would have made a good story for an SG1 episode, but not a storyline in a movie.

Comment

Years have passed, people don't necessarily look thesame as they age. Hell O'Neill and Jackson were played by completely different actors in the movie and series. I actually think everyone was played by different actor than Skarra(sp?) for those who were in both the movie and series. Actor availability shouldn't be the sole reason to exclude a character.

Comment

Originally posted by revo1059 View Post
          I think it would have made a good story for an SG1 episode, but not a storyline in a movie.
          Also I was discussing the new and upcoming series Stargate: Universe, not one of the new movies. But I appreciate the input!

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
            Plus Michael Welch who played him. Is busy with the Twilight movies. He is Mike Newton!!!
            Great, so he's gone from doing a semi-decent show to a substandard film based off of a substandard book .

Comment

Well it is not beyond the realms of possiblity that his clone appears in some later incarnation of the franchise. Possibly suffering from some disease as a result of the process. He ends up being brought up by the enemy and takes over building a giant ship with a weapon of mass destruction... you might call him Jack O'Neills nemesis... ring any bells.

Or you could get Richard Dean Anderson and use CGI to make him look younger (they made Brad Pitt look about 19-20 in curious case of benjamin button) can't be that expensive if it is done briefly..

Great thing about todays tech is you can bring back even long dead actors (at least for a few scenes) if it is neccessary to tell the story you want.

Comment

Originally posted by dd78matt View Post
                Years have passed, people don't necessarily look thesame as they age. Hell O'Neill and Jackson were played by completely different actors in the movie and series. I actually think everyone was played by different actor than Skarra(sp?) for those who were in both the movie and series. Actor availability shouldn't be the sole reason to exclude a character.
                You're forgetting that Kasuf was played in the movie and the show by the same actor.
                Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!

Comment

Originally posted by mrjason22193
                  Having one character that had a small part in SG-1 being in SGU = not wanting anything new?

Using that logic: it was stupid pandering to have McKay, Woolsey, Carter, and Lorne in SGA

Really has Lorne been a stupid character?
                  The way the OP put it, it's like trying to put Jack O'Neill back into the franchise since the clone also had Jack O'Neill's brains as well as his (young) body. McKay, Woolsey and Lorne were all minor and recurring characters in SG1 so their use wasn't exactly repetitive, and I didn't like Carter's inclusion; it struck me as the "tactic" used by Star Trek DS9 producers to shoehorn Worf into the series to get old TNG veterans to watch it.

Taking an established character with a lot of history instead of trying something new does seem like a stupid idea to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Commander View Post
                    You're forgetting that Kasuf was played in the movie and the show by the same actor.
                    Token brown man used everywhere, who else would they use? (I'm kidding, I actually like Erick Avari). It's the same dude from The Mummy and Chandra Suresh from Heroes.

Yeah, Skaara and Kasuf's actors were the only connection to the Stargate film. Not that it enhanced it in any way.

Comment

I think that would be a great idea. There's no need to have the same actor - there is precedent (Dr Weir was played by two different actresses). Plus there's no reason to think that this Jack would be the same as 'our' Jack, since he's gone back to high school and had a chance to do a lot of things over. Following up on that would be brilliant, plus he'd essentially be a completely different character. However, what really attracts me to this idea is the concept of a character who was physically so young, but mentally considerably older than just about anyone else on the ship.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
                        I think that would be a great idea. There's no need to have the same actor - there is precedent (Dr Weir was played by two different actresses). Plus there's no reason to think that this Jack would be the same as 'our' Jack, since he's gone back to high school and had a chance to do a lot of things over. Following up on that would be brilliant, plus he'd essentially be a completely different character. However, what really attracts me to this idea is the concept of a character who was physically so young, but mentally considerably older than just about anyone else on the ship.
                        Dressed like that, it sounds nice. Kind of like the take on the characters from Prince Caspian (in the film anyway), where they come back after leading full lives and still retain their experiences of full lives, and have trouble adjusting. The problem is, this requires writing talent beyond that which I have seen with the writers so far...

Comment

Originally posted by thevarrior View Post
                          Dressed like that, it sounds nice. Kind of like the take on the characters from Prince Caspian (in the film anyway), where they come back after leading full lives and still retain their experiences of full lives, and have trouble adjusting. The problem is, this requires writing talent beyond that which I have seen with the writers so far...
                          I just watched The Defiant One, this evening, and still remained blown away by the episode. The episode in which we meet the Michael Welch version of Jack was an excellent piece of story telling. Paradise Lost - another example of excellent story telling. These are just a few examples that jump out immediately for me, if I sat down and really thought about it I could come up with so many more.

Stargate SG1, even at its worst and most dross (and for me that was exemplified by Avenger 2.0, but even so, again the story was fine - recast with McKay for example and you've have had a completely different episode. You need a scientist who could do real, believable angst to pull that episode off) was still head and shoulders above the majority of shows on TV. We have some of the same writing team, plus some new guys, for Universe. Even if the show is pants, it'll be better than most shows on TV. Atlantis ran for five series - how many sci fi shows make it past their third series? That is a huge success for any TV show, let alone a sci fi show. And SG1 made 10 seasons! You don't get that far if you can't do good story lines.

I think sometimes that we Stargate fans have been spoiled. We're so used to top class, league of its own kind of stories that when they are merely excellent we see them as far worse they they really are

Edited to add: but really, you're not condeming the writing team because they don't match up to the standards of CS Lewis are you?! If so I'd say that maybe you're holding the bar up just a teensy bit high
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
                            I just watched The Defiant One, this evening, and still remained blown away by the episode. The episode in which we meet the Michael Welch version of Jack was an excellent piece of story telling. Paradise Lost - another example of excellent story telling. These are just a few examples that jump out immediately for me, if I sat down and really thought about it I could come up with so many more.
                            I thought that episode was decent enough, yes.

Stargate SG1, even at its worst and most dross (and for me that was exemplified by Avenger 2.0, but even so, again the story was fine - recast with McKay for example and you've have had a completely different episode. You need a scientist who could do real, believable angst to pull that episode off) was still head and shoulders above the majority of shows on TV. We have some of the same writing team, plus some new guys, for Universe. Even if the show is pants, it'll be better than most shows on TV. Atlantis ran for five series - how many sci fi shows make it past their third series? That is a huge success for any TV show, let alone a sci fi show. And SG1 made 10 seasons! You don't get that far if you can't do good story lines.
                            SG1 definitely had some good things even in its lowest points, but SGA was unbearably horrible in its lowest points. The one episode with McKay, Keller and Carter trapped in a sinkhole in season 4 was terrible, I can't find any way to justify that episode. As for heads and shoulders above other TV shows... well that's a matter of opinion, since I personally like the writing of BSG much more in general, but the two shows are of a different sort, with Stargate being the more traditional sci-fi format.

I think sometimes that we Stargate fans have been spoiled. We're so used to top class, league of its own kind of stories that when they are merely excellent we see them as far worse they they really are
                            I don't see that as being spoiled at all. I see it as being able to recognize when the writers are being incredibly lazy (the slew of fillers this past season of SGA should have been a big enough tipoff).

Edited to add: but really, you're not condeming the writing team because they don't match up to the standards of CS Lewis are you?! If so I'd say that maybe you're holding the bar up just a teensy bit high
                            Not C.S. Lewis, really; more the writing team of the film. C.S. Lewis didn't depict their maturity well at all, in fact for all intents and purposes he reverted them back to being mentally children. I'm not a fan of the Narnia franchise as a whole since I think it's too stereotypical (although to be fair, it makes sense for the time in which it was written) but the movie made for Prince Caspian did an incredible job of depicting the mentally grown up state of those kids.

Comment

no i doubt we will ever see the clone inlist in the military ever.

hes oneil with a second chance to live life without the mistakes that made him join the service in the first place.

hes got the memorys of a 40ish combat hardened soldier, he is not going to go threw that all over again, hes going to take the other road and not enlist and just lead a normal quiet life. and probably find his own version of carter

Comment

Working...
                              X