Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new technology would you like to see in SGU?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtlantisAssassin View Post
    like I said in the first post if there was an AI hopefully it would be more like Cortana from the Halo games, The Doctor from Star Trek Voyager or even like Urgo from the episode 'Urgo' rather than the Computer from Star Trek so would hopefully interact with the crew better and become a character in its own right.
    Then I say no. We have seen enough AI in other SciFi shows. Give me something different.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

an alien lifeform that forms hallicunations and acts as everyones personal advisor

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Then I say no. We have seen enough AI in other SciFi shows. Give me something different.
        For practical reasons alone there should be an AI. For one, there has to be something running the ship. I think it's pretty unlikely that the ship could simply be set to move from planet to planet within a galaxy and set up stargates there. Anything less than a full-fledged AI would be too limited in the scope of its programming to deal with the new and unexpected situations and conditions the Destiny was likely to encounter in unexplored galaxies. Not to mention other concerns, like political and social niceties. For one, the ship is likely to eventually run into alien species capable of space travel, aliens that might take offense to a trespassing Ancient spacecraft. Violent offense.

Given that the ship is constantly entering new and uncharted space, I think it'd be fairly reasonable, not to mention logical, to expect the ship to have to adapt to new situations, anomalies, and especially alien species while it's attempting to accomplish its mission. Since the Destiny is unmanned, in my mind the only reasonable way to expect this would be to give the ship itself the ability to make such judgment calls, hence an AI.

yeah it would be awsome and it would make for some great stargate episodes.

e.g - the AI become infected with a virus and starts screwing with (locking them in rooms and saying venting atmosphere etc.) or killing off the crew and the main characters have to get Eli to the central AI datacore to upload this anti-virus program that he develops over the courese of the episode.

what u tink?
        I know I'd watch an episode like that. You could even have a situations where the AI has other directives given to it by the Ancients that the team know nothing about. Missions like threat analysis of possible enemies, the acquisition of useful technology, or even surveillance of a previously unknown enemy of the Ancients. Maybe even keeping tabs on the Ori, given that it has no way of knowing their final fate.

Working from your virus idea, you could even have the AI become infected or damaged somehow, and accidentally initiate some kind of emergency contingency plan on on some peaceful, innocent planet. Perhaps believing that an uncontainable plague has broken out, it would seek to destroy the planet rather than allow it to infect the rest of the galaxy. Maybe make the mission directive a throw back to the plague that was threatening the Ancient species.

Comment

Originally posted by Vis Uban View Post
          For practical reasons alone there should be an AI. For one, there has to be something running the ship. I think it's pretty unlikely that the ship could simply be set to move from planet to planet within a galaxy and set up stargates there. Anything less than a full-fledged AI would be too limited in the scope of its programming to deal with the new and unexpected situations and conditions the Destiny was likely to encounter in unexplored galaxies. Not to mention other concerns, like political and social niceties. For one, the ship is likely to eventually run into alien species capable of space travel, aliens that might take offense to a trespassing Ancient spacecraft. Violent offense.

Given that the ship is constantly entering new and uncharted space, I think it'd be fairly reasonable, not to mention logical, to expect the ship to have to adapt to new situations, anomalies, and especially alien species while it's attempting to accomplish its mission. Since the Destiny is unmanned, in my mind the only reasonable way to expect this would be to give the ship itself the ability to make such judgment calls, hence an AI.

I know I'd watch an episode like that. You could even have a situations where the AI has other directives given to it by the Ancients that the team know nothing about. Missions like threat analysis of possible enemies, the acquisition of useful technology, or even surveillance of a previously unknown enemy of the Ancients. Maybe even keeping tabs on the Ori, given that it has no way of knowing their final fate.

Working from your virus idea, you could even have the AI become infected or damaged somehow, and accidentally initiate some kind of emergency contingency plan on on some peaceful, innocent planet. Perhaps believing that an uncontainable plague has broken out, it would seek to destroy the planet rather than allow it to infect the rest of the galaxy. Maybe make the mission directive a throw back to the plague that was threatening the Ancient species.

yeah that would be pretty cool as well, I would go for anything that involved the AI going kinda wacko and doing screwed up things because of it!

Possible Scene from episode:

(team are running down one of the the corridors as blast door are locking on each intersection behind them, but they finally get to a wide corridor section with no door to lock in the way, so the team stop for a breather)

sunddenly

AI: Threat detected, Activated Ceiling Mounted Plasma Turrets

One of the team members : Oh S***

(dives out of the way into a wall grove as the turrets start shooting everything in sight)

lol
          Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

That would be very interesting. The ship, although not opposed to their presence, has its own agenda to fulfill and doesn't particularly care if the "crew" (which it views more as squatters than as its rightful crew) gets ground up in the gears.

The one problem is if they know enough about the AI to fix it once it has become infected with a virus, then they also know enough about it to override its core programming and order it to return to Earth.

Also, is just me, or does that episode pitch sound similar to "Dreadnaught"?
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
              The one problem is if they know enough about the AI to fix it once it has become infected with a virus, then they also know enough about it to override its core programming and order it to return to Earth.

it is kinda similer in a way but different too and also for the AI maybe Eli is only able to develop a program that can only effect the virus inside the AI's programming, rather than the AI programming itself.

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post

also nice voyager link!

lol

Comment

it is kinda similer in a way but different too and also for the AI maybe Eli is only able to develop a program that can only effect the virus inside the AI's programming, rather than the AI programming itself.
                  Maybe the ship's McAfee hasn't run a virus scan in several millennia.

Of course, I suppose that it could work something like that: the ship gets infected with a virus, so they have to activate the AI's anti-virus protocol to restore a backup copy. That is probably about the only way that they could neutralize a virus without knowing enough about the computer to reprogram it.

Or, even better, the "virus" was actually caused by their attempts to tamper with the ship's programing to get control of its navigation, so that they can return to Earth. In this case, they might know just enough about the computer to fix the damage they had done, without knowing enough to actually accomplish what they wanted to do.
                  "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                  - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                  - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                  - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

that could work!

lol

Comment

i always thought that they needed like a moon buggy type vehicle to save them walking in sg-1, so something like that would be cool even though it ain't new technology. that is if they incorporate the stargate alot in SGU

Comment

Lightsabers

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                          Lightsabers

Regardless of a Stargate twist I can just hear fans yellin ripoff
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

hell yeah!

lol

Comment

And they would be correct.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                                And they would be correct.
                                How arrogant of you. Ripoffs are so subjective. Almost everytime a fan says Stargate ripped off Show X I see by their defination of ripoff would mean Show X ripped off Show Y
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X