Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new technology would you like to see in SGU?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akren View Post
    I would love to see actual airlocks, an artium or some sort of fod/water-growing & processing facility (the Destiny is on a mission through unexplored parts of the universe after all; how the Hell are they going to eat/breathe & drink water if there's nowhere ot grow/store it fpr crying out loud?!?).
    Apparently, one of the major plot points of the series is the requirement for the team to search for supplies through the Stargate, implying that there is nowhere on the ship to grow food, etc.

Also, part of the plot of "Air" is, apparently, that the Destiny's life support is failing and thus they are running out of...air. This means no plants on the ship.

Originally posted by akren View Post
    NO SHIELD/IRIS on the Stargate (way too convenient for SG-1 & SGA if you ask me, although totally plausable in both scenerios)
    An iris/shield is the only way to keep them from being absolute sitting ducks. It is possible to get something like 7,000 humanoid soldiers through the Stargate in a single 38 minute wind (assuming about 3 soldiers every second); with those odds, even natives with spears would be dangerous threat.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I'd like to see automatic machine gun turrets in the gate room (instead of having to put 10 ppl standing in front of the stargate with guns -.-). Oh, and new guns to replace the p90's as they are obviously overused.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
        Apparently, one of the major plot points of the series is the requirement for the team to search for supplies through the Stargate, implying that there is nowhere on the ship to grow food, etc.

Also, part of the plot of "Air" is, apparently, that the Destiny's life support is failing and thus they are running out of...air. This means no plants on the ship.

An iris/shield is the only way to keep them from being absolute sitting ducks. It is possible to get something like 7,000 humanoid soldiers through the Stargate in a single 38 minute wind (assuming about 3 soldiers every second); with those odds, even natives with spears would be dangerous threat.
        I aware of the plot for "Air" & their need to get oxygen & supplies, just because they would be running out of food, water & air to breathe does not mean facilities for processing these things might not exit aboard the Destiny (it is a deep space/long range exploration ship on a mission exploring unexplored space after all! ).

As for the no irsis/gate shield comment...I think you proved my point (it would certainly add to the drama/realism! ).

Comment

I think it could be interesting if an advanced alien culture somehow added some upgrades to the Stargate of their own, or already had a similar device.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
            Also add neural interfaces to the list.
            yeah, id like to see some more use of neural interfaces in SGU too - controlling stuff with your mind is AWSOME!

also maybe some kind of automated turrets showing up somewhere would be cool.
            Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

i dont know if this has been said already but instead of jampacking the franchise with new tech why dont they refocuse attention on the technology of the gate i mean yea we have had a few episodes in sg1 and sga about the gate but not enough mostly we've had to deal with starships, beaming tech and replicators i mean come on the show is called STARGATE.

since sgu is based aboard an ancient ship that is following a seeder ship that plants stargates why dont we get episodes where we find out new things about the gates or other tech that the ancients had that involved matter transfer.(not beaming tech pls)

i for one dont want to watch SGU and be bombarded with space battles like SGA.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nero_200 View Post
                i for one dont want to watch SGU and be bombarded with space battles like SGA.
                ehh fair enough, just have to say though................... SPACE BATTLES ARE AWESOME!!

and so is technobabble!

LOL XD

how about some kind of particle cannon that disintegrates matter at a sub-atomic level?

It could maybe somehow disrupt the bonds between atoms and cause you to 'fall apart'?

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisAssassin View Post
                  ehh fair enough, just have to say though................... SPACE BATTLES ARE AWESOME!!

and so is technobabble!

LOL XD

how about some kind of particle cannon that disintegrates matter at a sub-atomic level?

It could maybe somehow disrupt the bonds between atoms and cause you to 'fall apart'?
                  I think it would more likely make you explode instead.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    I think it would more likely make you explode instead.
                    possibly, but think of it like a brick wall missing the cement now imagine the bricks to be in human shape and apply the force of gravity, what happens? it falls apart.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisAssassin View Post
                      possibly, but think of it like a brick wall missing the cement now imagine the bricks to be in human shape and apply the force of gravity, what happens? it falls apart.
                      But molecules aren't like bricks and cement. If you break the bonds that hold atoms together then you release a hell of a lot of energy, because what you have is pretty much nuclear fission.

Comment

mmm, fair enough i'll give you that one, but it would still be cool too see!

P.S - maybe if it was a miniaturised version of the reality bomb from Doctor Who it would work - just a thought!

Reality Bomb

also what about maybe seeing some stuff similer what you read about in the Halo books and see in the games:

Crazy AI's (with personality)

Camoflage armour (but realistical)

High Powered Bombs

etc.

Comment

On board Destiny I'd like to see a weapon that disables other possible attacking ships rather than something that destroys them.

Comment

Personally, I can certainly see Destiny being a very advanced ship. There should definitely be some pretty awesome technology on board, but that doesn't mean that I think we should be able to access it or easily use it. For instance, any medical systems would have been designed for Ancients ie 'Telchak's device' in Evolution. It wasn't designed for humans. The Goa'uld had to study and modify it before they came up with the sarcophagus. Given the original purpose of the ship, I also think a lot of the systems would be automated. For instance, if there is an AI on board, it's primary purpose is to catalog planets, maintain the ship and defend against intruders. (!!!) The fact that they came through the gate might keep the automated defenses from identifying them as such and might allow them to interface with an AI/Avatar database but without the proper Ancient codes/gene they might have difficulty getting it to do anything but ignore them! The fact that they speak English might be an interesting problem! LOL! As for weapons, yes, I think there should be high-tech weapons on board possibly used by AI drones to protect the ship, as well as some major shields and defensive weapons to fend off ship to ship attacks - but I don't want to see an armory that they can just discover and raid for supplies when their own weapons start to run out of ammo. I guess my point is that, yes I want and expect to see high-tech but I don't want to see them walk into a room and have everything turn on and run smoothly for them. The tech shouldn't simply make things easier for them, it should be as much of a challenge for them as anything else they face.

Shrug! JMHO! Take if for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Maj_Cliffhanger View Post
                              The tech shouldn't simply make things easier for them, it should be as much of a challenge for them as anything else they face.
                              yeah thats how it should go, find some tech that they can't operate properly and maybe mention it every few episodes if its important before finally discoving how to work it proporly.

It would make an different, interesting angle from the other shows

Comment

I'm hoping that a lot of the technology on the Destiny is kind of like the technology seen in The Chronicles of Riddick series, especially in the video games Escape From Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena. The technology in these games is futuristic, but it is also very realistic and seems functional, like it could actually work.

Because the Destiny is very old, I think this is the sort of technology we need. For instance, the computers will have push buttons and you will see big cables coming out the back and the screens will not be holographic etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X