Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGU: News on casting, articles/reviews on show(not speculation)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
    Yes, but then Carlyle in't just 'known to the geek community', he's a movie star. And a good one at that. He could be the SGU selling point for quite a few people. I expect the show to be much more popular in the UK at least, and although that wouldn't have a benefit for SciFi, it would be good for MGM. I don't know how well he is known in the States, but over here he is a household name.
    Here, Carlyle is hardly a household name, but he's not an unknown, either. I mostly remember him from Hamish MacBeth trailers on BBC America. (The series didn't spark my interest.) His only popular-in-the-US movies that I recall are Eragon and The Full Monty.

Comment

It's still enough to build up media interest though, and get the show more attention. From what I've seen those who do know him, know him as a very good actor. As I've said before, you could get someone like Brad Pitt (example obviously) to play the role who is better known than Carlyle, doesn't mean Dr. Rush will be better though. I'd say Carlyle is the right mix.

I posted this before.
      A good clip from the Rise of Evil. There's a few on You Tube. I think if the character is written right, Rush could end up being one of the great Sci fi characters. They've got an actor here capable of pulling it off. It's up to the writers now.

Comment

Yes, but then Carlyle in't just 'known to the geek community', he's a movie star. And a good one at that. He could be the SGU selling point for quite a few people. I expect the show to be much more popular in the UK at least, and although that wouldn't have a benefit for SciFi, it would be good for MGM. I don't know how well he is known in the States, but over here he is a household name.
        The problem is that he isn't very well known in the US. A Bond movie is really all we know about Caryle. So I find it hard to see him to be a selling point for many of the casual viewers
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          The problem is that he isn't very well known in the US. A Bond movie is really all we know about Caryle. So I find it hard to see him to be a selling point for many of the casual viewers
          Well he was in 24 recently. And that 'Human Trafficking' thing which obviously made an impression considering it got him an Emmy nomination. Maybe he is trying to raise his profile over there? I don't know, but either way I'm happy tptb went with a proven actor instead of this 'stunt casting' thing everyone keeps going on about. And it's nice that the lead isn't American or Canadian for a change. He better not have an American accent, but as he is playing a character in a sort of grey area he'll most likely have a British accent.

I don't think you could of asked for someone better on their budget. I mean he's played an insane racist murderer, a cannibalistic soldier, a possessed sorceror, the gay lover of a priest, a Bond villain, Hitler... The mans good.

Comment

Thats good and all but that doesn't make him well known to the American public. I would question when he earned the Emmy and a guest spot if a television show won't make him well known to the general pub;ic I think some will know him but the majority of American vieweres will go I have never heard of this Caaryle guy.

As for him being a good actor I'll reserve that for the SGU pilot. As I have never seen his work before minus a few YouTube clips after I had heard of his casting in SGU
            Jelgate is right

Comment

No it won't, but again the fact that he is renowned by critics and a movie star and he'll be taking a/the lead role will get the media more interested. If the media are more interested and watching the show more closely, it'll build hype, and more people will be talking about it. I know a lot of the general population may not know who he is, but it's the job of critics and 'entertainment reporters' to know. People watch what the media tell them to watch. It's the same in any country. The fact that he's a good actor will hopefully be what keeps people hooked, and from what I've heard the others picked so far are hardly bad themselves. The cast and characters are looking interesting, but once again it is the writing that will make it work.

I trust Brad and Rob. Martin and Alan (the next best two IMO) are sadly leaving after 1 script each. Joe, carl and Paul are a bit hit and miss, but when they do it right they can write great episodes. If they're on their A-game, there could be a lot of exciting episodes ahead. Obviously we can't judge the new writer/s yet.

^^It's on their shoulders^^

Comment

No it won't, but again the fact that he is renowned by critics and a movie star and he'll be taking a/the lead role will get the media more interested. If the media are more interested and watching the show more closely, it'll build hype, and more people will be talking about it. I know a lot of the general population may not know who he is, but it's the job of critics and 'entertainment reporters' to know. People watch what the media tell them to watch. It's the same in any country. The fact that he's a good actor will hopefully be what keeps people hooked, and from what I've heard the others picked so far are hardly bad themselves. The cast and characters are looking interesting, but once again it is the writing that will make it work.
                The thing is I don't think the media cares what the critics say these. In fact I don't think most people care what critics say these days. Too many times has their opinon of a show been an exact opposite of what the American public. I just don't SGU getting much media attention out of SciFi. Shows like Stargate rarely get attention any attention from the media just because of the way most people look down on space SciFi. Its one of the most underated genres.
                Jelgate is right

Comment

The thing is I don't think the media cares what the critics say these. In fact I don't think most people care what critics say these days. Too many times has their opinon of a show been an exact opposite of what the American public. I just don't SGU getting much media attention out of SciFi. Shows like Stargate rarely get attention any attention from the media just because of the way most people look down on space SciFi. Its one of the most underated genres.
                  I'll totally agree with that

Comment

Exactly.

While Reality television is the most overrated genres. -_-

According to everyone my age (18), "Reality is teh sh!t!" as they would say. And then, when you bring up about SciFi, "That stuff is nerdy and boring."

Ignorant much? xD

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                    and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Yes, many people in the US wouldn't recognize Robert Carlyle. But, a reasonable portion of the US poplulation is at least familiar with the name as big in the UK. Knowing that he is a "name" combined with curiosity will have some draw in the US. After they see him act, they may well understand why he's a name in the UK. After Universe, he'll probably be a lot better known here.

Comment

Originally posted by :Orion Coran: View Post
                        Exactly.

While Reality television is the most overrated genres. -_-

According to everyone my age (18), "Reality is teh sh!t!" as they would say. And then, when you bring up about SciFi, "That stuff is nerdy and boring."

Ignorant much? xD

I don't care for the so-called "reality" shows, either, and don't like that SciFi Channel has jumped on that band-wagon. SciFi Channel could do without: Scare Tactics, Ghost Hunters, Estate of Panic, Who Wants to Be a Superhero, ... Have I missed any?

Comment

I wouldn't consider him a well known name at all in the US, but his history as an actor seem to be impressive so I'm hopeful he will be a good fit and impress all us Gaties (Gator is a fan of the University of Florida and is taken).

While I was expecting someone that would be recognized by most people in the U.S. and abroad (like RDA was), I'm not upset about it. I would think the big name would be somebody cooler than the doctor anyhow.

Maybe the big name could come later in the form of an alien that joins the crew (although that doesn't really give the show the needed boost from the start).

Maybe one of the females will be somewhat well known in the US.
                          sigpic

Comment

I mostly remember Justin Louis from an old little known comedy with Paula Marshall called Hidden Hills. i thought it was really funny but it was canceled after 1 season. It will be really weird to watch him as a military Colonel.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

SG1/SGU - Movie Web: Beau Bridges Interview:

At Movie Web:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

EXCLUSIVE: Beau Bridges Steps Into the Dark with Max Payne

The veteran actor talks about working with Mark Wahlberg, possible Stargate endeavors and other new projects

Source: Brian Gallagher

January 29th, 2009

While Beau Bridges might have been born into Hollywood (both literally and figuratively), that doesn't meant he didn't have to work to where he is today. Born to legendary actor Lloyd Bridges, and older brother to Jeff Bridges, Beau has proven to be a constant workhorse, with over 160 film and television credits to his name, two Golden Globes, three Emmy's and a slew of other nominations and accolades to his credit, including a star on the Walk of Fame, right next to his father and brother. Bridges comes back to the silver screen for his role as BB Hensley in Max Payne, which just hit the shelves last week on January 20 and the disc topped all three home video charts in its first week in release. I spoke with Bridges over the phone...

... So is there any chance for any sort of a Stargate resurrection with you?

Beau Bridges: Well, I haven't talked directly with those guys for awhile, but I know they have a new show coming out called Stargate Universe. They've got a complete new cast, but there has been talk, just rumors, that maybe they'll have some of the Stargate SG-1 cast back, but I don't know. I enjoyed doing that. I did that for two, three years, maybe almost four years with the movies that I did. It was a good experience and I wouldn't mind at all going back and doing some more.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Wow am I behind on this thread . . .

Originally posted by prion View Post
                                One of the reasons that both SG1 and SGA got axed is salaries. They were high, especially toward the end.
                                Yup.

RDA might be out of the question as apparently his guest starring on SGA cost a pretty penny.
                                Yet he guest starred in as many episodes of SGA as he did in seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 . . .

And - really, he's worth it.
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Working...
                                X