This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateofDOOM View Post
    They're not bad, just really, really literal and a little boring IMO.

Edit: Sometimes though they've had good titles, I liked "There But For the Grace of God", "The Defiant One", "One False Step", "Forever in a Day", "Line in the Sand", "Poisoning the Well"

They're not Poetic, but at least they're interesting and...not so literal.
    Well...that depends on how deep you want to read into it. Yeah, The Storm/The Eye is pretty literal on the surface, but on the other hand you can also see them as meaning the conflict between Shep and Kolya. The Storm is literally "an oncoming Storm" with a slow build up of Kolya's threat, reaching a climax just as the actual storm is coming as well, while The Eye is all about keeping things from escalating (the calm at the center of the storm) by using strategies and what not, instead of brute force.

IMHO the best titles are those that are short, and could mean a myriad of things that all apply to the episode in one way or another. It doesn't take a genius to flip through Hamlet and find a cool quote that sorta describe your episode, but coming up with one on your own with the same amount of meaning takes skills.

The less Shakespeare I see in Stargate, the better. I hate him. Hate him hate him hate him hate him hate him.

Oh, and not to take this too far off topic...Avatar is awesome. In many ways it's even more mature than Stargate, despite being aimed at younger people. The main character's race was completely wiped out at the beginning of the show (Genocide in a cartoon), and another main character's face was burned by his own Father, on purpose. The series finale of that show is the greatest thing I've ever seen, including all of Stargate.

They had 2 pre-teens Frenching as the last scene for cryin' out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Well...that depends on how deep you want to read into it. Yeah, The Storm/The Eye is pretty literal on the surface, but on the other hand you can also see them as meaning the conflict between Shep and Kolya. The Storm is literally "an oncoming Storm" with a slow build up of Kolya's threat, reaching a climax just as the actual storm is coming as well, while The Eye is all about keeping things from escalating (the calm at the center of the storm) by using strategies and what not, instead of brute force.

IMHO the best titles are those that are short, and could mean a myriad of things that all apply to the episode in one way or another. It doesn't take a genius to flip through Hamlet and find a cool quote that sorta describe your episode, but coming up with one on your own with the same amount of meaning takes skills.
      But you can do that for any title, you just have to have the creativity to discover those "hidden" meanings.

I mean, in that case, "Rising" could refer to the literal rising of Atlantis or to the more symbolic rising-again of an Ancient stronghold - of the re-introduction of that technology and tradition back into the galaxy.

Pick a title, pick a word, and you can press upon it any meaning. Heck, that's what most literary analysis is anyway.

What I care about is whether or not it was meant by the people who gave the episode that name.

Oh, and not to take this too far off topic...Avatar is awesome. In many ways it's even more mature than Stargate, despite being aimed at younger people. The main character's race was completely wiped out at the beginning of the show (Genocide in a cartoon), and another main character's face was burned by his own Father, on purpose. The series finale of that show is the greatest thing I've ever seen, including all of Stargate.

They had 2 pre-teens Frenching as the last scene for cryin' out loud.
      Avatar is beyond awesome. The scope of the world created, the mythology, the application of the Eastern traditions and the respect shown to those traditions, the depth and breadth of detail....everything was phenomenal.

Love, love, love, that cartoon.

...I hate calling it a cartoon.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
        But you can do that for any title, you just have to have the creativity to discover those "hidden" meanings.

I mean, in that case, "Rising" could refer to the literal rising of Atlantis or to the more symbolic rising-again of an Ancient stronghold - of the re-introduction of that technology and tradition back into the galaxy.
        Brilliant! Yes, I think that fits quite well.

What a great title "Rising" was.

Pick a title, pick a word, and you can press upon it any meaning. Heck, that's what most literary analysis is anyway.

What I care about is whether or not it was meant by the people who gave the episode that name.
        Hmmm...interesting. I wouldn't mind knowing that too, actually.

I missed this.

Avatar is beyond awesome. The scope of the world created, the mythology, the application of the Eastern traditions and the respect shown to those traditions, the depth and breadth of detail....everything was phenomenal.

Love, love, love, that cartoon.

...I hate calling it a cartoon.
        Same.

I'd rather call it a piece of art. Because that's what it is.

Comment

Brilliant! Yes, I think that fits quite well.

What a great title "Rising" was.
          Yeah, but I think "Rising" was one of the few. I'm stuck trying to figure out multiple interpretations for "Hide and Seek".

Hmmm...interesting. I wouldn't mind knowing that too, actually.

I missed this.
          My witticisms? Of course you did.

Same.

I'd rather call it a piece of art. Because that's what it is.
          Very true. Have you seen this?
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but I think "Rising" was one of the few. I'm stuck trying to figure out multiple interpretations for "Hide and Seek".
            Well, uh, see...McKay was hiding, I guess, inside that shield, and uh, he was...seeking...a way...out?

Nevermind.

My witticisms? Of course you did.
            Quite correct.

Very true. Have you seen this?
            Yeah, saw it while going through this thread. Brilliant. A tad long though.

This one's my favorite.

And then there were those 2 official trailers shown at the Comic Cons with that kick-ass music of awesome.

Comment

Well, uh, see...McKay was hiding, I guess, inside that shield, and uh, he was...seeking...a way...out?

Nevermind.
              Precisely.

Yeah, saw it while going through this thread. Brilliant. A tad long though.

This one's my favorite.

And then there were those 2 official trailers shown at the Comic Cons with that kick-ass music of awesome.
              I never saw those! Where can I find them?
              sigpic

Comment

The less Shakespeare I see in Stargate, the better. I hate him. Hate him hate him hate him hate him hate him.
                You hate Shakespeare? How dare you! I mean, I have issues with him, sure (mostly on issues of misogyny), but it doesn't not mean he has good plays. I'm such a geek. >.< I read Twelfth Night right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                  You hate Shakespeare? How dare you! I mean, I have issues with him, sure (mostly on issues of misogyny), but it doesn't not mean he has good plays. I'm such a geek. >.< I read Twelfth Night right now.
                  A Midsummer Night's Dream is my favourite.

Hate Romeo and Juliet.

Hate Taming of the Shrew.

Love Othello and Macbeth.

I'm weird that way.

Is this the trailer you were talking about, PG?
                  sigpic

Comment

Othello is love. <3

Taming of the Shrew, I hated it.

All the interesting people die in the first acts of R&J. The first parts are good but it's boring from there.

Acted Macbeth is sixth grade. Will have to read it again.

Comment

Three words: High School English.

It turned me against Shakespeare for ever and ever, sorry.

I never saw those! Where can I find them?
                      Oh my God, you've never seen them?

Ok, first, sit down. Make sure there is no risk of hitting your head as you faint from the Awesome.

Second...

Trailer 1
                      Trailer 2

EDIT: Yeah, that's the second trailer.

Comment

Three words: High School English.

It turned me against Shakespeare for ever and ever, sorry.
                        No one, I repeat, no one had it worse that I. My high school English teacher (I had the same one all 4 years, thank you gifted program ) was in love with Christ figures. It was a dog once, as I recall.

Trailer 1
                        Trailer 2

EDIT: Yeah, that's the second trailer.
                        There is so much awesome!

And the episodes were 100 times more awesome! Where did they find all the awesome??!!
                        sigpic

Comment

No one, I repeat, no one had it worse that I. My high school English teacher (I had the same one all 4 years, thank you gifted program ) was in love with Christ figures. It was a dog once, as I recall.
                          Oh kindred spirit! I was in IB so I had the same English teacher for 3 years straight. He was a nice guy and all, but his voice was so...droning, and he would read to us, and ask for interpretations.

As a science student, I had none, so I was BORED OUT OF MY ****ING SKULL.

There is so much awesome!

And the episodes were 100 times more awesome! Where did they find all the awesome??!!
                          I has a theory: because of Avatar, there is now an Awesome imbalance in the Universe. Like, they took Awesome from the Andromeda galaxy, condensed it, and gave it the form of Avatar.

But, like, that violates physical laws man, and now the Universe will implode, and we are all gonna die.

Which, you know, doesn't matter, because now that I've seen Avatar, I can die happy.

Comment

Hey guys, long time no see.

Let's see if I can still remember how to do this...

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...nto-a-routine/

And so it begins. MUAHAHAHAHAHA.
                            He's B-a-C-k!

Woo-hoo!

We've missed you PG15!

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

the title is not important
                                Stolen Kosovo
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X