Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The destiny is a gate seeding ship no? So it will logically go to a planet where there is no stargate yes? So the gate on the destiny is the main one while it is installing the permanent on the planet. When it leaves orbit, the permanent starts taking incoming calls. Maybe the computer on the destiny already has sheduled stops on other next, lets say 5 planets and already has extrapolated the new adresses for these stops. When a gs time goes off world they just take note of the next 5 stops, when members get stranded they jus dial the next adress and bam, they are again on the destiny. Quiet simple and easy. Say 3 hours to the destiny reach the nest stop, 1 hour to assemble the gate, the time will have plenty of time.
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

The way the gate address system was explained in the original Stargate movie, it seems there needs to be a network of gates for any one gate to work correctly. The spread of the gates in three dimensions across the galaxy is how the gates recognize a three-dimensional coordinate system. That would infer that the gate system may not be fully functional in the new galaxy as it is in the Milky Way.

So, just because they managed to transport the people from the MW to the new galaxy would indicate there isn't a problem transporting from a galaxy where the gate system is fully functional to where the crew ended up. However, just because the crew sees any point at all in following through on the ship's mission instead of staying on the nicest planet they can find, tells me they expect to be able to get home by getting the gate system functional in the new galaxy.

Another interesting aspect of this is that transporting stuff (like their body swapping communication device and ammo) won't be too much of a problem if they can avoid accidents like the one that stranded them there in the first place.

Conclusion: the gate system is not fully functional in the new galaxy so catching up with the ship isn't possible (or always possible).

Depending on how much of the gate system is already functioning, however, it may be possible to transport to some gates, but not others, depending on how functioning gates are oriented relative to the gates they are trying to use. That would raise some interesting questions about what path the ship is taking and whether that path will delay getting gates working due to the path being too linear or planar.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

okay, next question is, how do they get on the ship in the first place if it's so many galaxies underway in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
          The destiny is a gate seeding ship no?
          No. It is the follow-up ship to the 'Gate-seeder. The Destiny's mission is to explore the effect of the Stargate network left behind by the previous ship.

So it will logically go to a planet where there is no stargate yes?
          Only based off of your faulty assumption that the Destiny is a 'Gate-seeder ship. In actuallity, all the planets that the team visits will be part of a well-established 'Gate network.

So the gate on the destiny is the main one while it is installing the permanent on the planet. When it leaves orbit, the permanent starts taking incoming calls. Maybe the computer on the destiny already has sheduled stops on other next, lets say 5 planets and already has extrapolated the new adresses for these stops. When a gs time goes off world they just take note of the next 5 stops, when members get stranded they jus dial the next adress and bam, they are again on the destiny. Quiet simple and easy. Say 3 hours to the destiny reach the nest stop, 1 hour to assemble the gate, the time will have plenty of time.
          Except that I am pretty sure that this is not the way the system will work. What will most likely happen, based on what we know of the story so-far, is that the Destiny will arrive in a new galaxy, send out probes or something via the pre-established 'Gate network, then move on to a new galaxy.

It is arguably possible that the Destiny will move to a new planet in the same galaxy, but this does not match with the plot, which states that once the Destiny moves on, it is impossible to go back to rescue people left behind. The only way for this plot to work is if the Destiny moves to a new galaxy, otherwise a team could 'Gate back to the planet that the Destiny just left and tell the Destiny's new 'Gate address to whoever got left behind, allowing them to 'Gate back to the Destiny.

Since we know that such a "rescue" will be impossible, the Destiny must travel to a new galaxy each time it moves.

Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post
          The way the gate address system was explained in the original Stargate movie, it seems there needs to be a network of gates for any one gate to work correctly. The spread of the gates in three dimensions across the galaxy is how the gates recognize a three-dimensional coordinate system. That would infer that the gate system may not be fully functional in the new galaxy as it is in the Milky Way.

So, just because they managed to transport the people from the MW to the new galaxy would indicate there isn't a problem transporting from a galaxy where the gate system is fully functional to where the crew ended up. However, just because the crew sees any point at all in following through on the ship's mission instead of staying on the nicest planet they can find, tells me they expect to be able to get home by getting the gate system functional in the new galaxy.

Another interesting aspect of this is that transporting stuff (like their body swapping communication device and ammo) won't be too much of a problem if they can avoid accidents like the one that stranded them there in the first place.

Conclusion: the gate system is not fully functional in the new galaxy so catching up with the ship isn't possible (or always possible).
          Your argument has one very fundamental flaw: it is based, like Steelbox's on the false assumption that the Destiny is 'Gate-seeder and that the new 'Gate networks will thus be incomplete. In actuality, the 'Gate networks that the new team encounters will be quite long established.

Originally posted by wolverine_nl View Post
          okay, next question is, how do they get on the ship in the first place if it's so many galaxies underway in the first place.
          The ninth chevron, which extends the Stargate's range much like the eighth chevron, but more so.
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post

Your argument has one very fundamental flaw: it is based, like Steelbox's on the false assumption that the Destiny is 'Gate-seeder and that the new 'Gate networks will thus be incomplete. In actuality, the 'Gate networks that the new team encounters will be quite long established.
            My argument merely glosses over the fact there are two ships so it stands from that viewpoint. I haven't heard anything about how functional the gate system will be or how many gates have already been seeded or that the gates work before the Destiny visits them, so that would be a counter-argument if you've heard something I haven't.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post
              My argument merely glosses over the fact there are two ships so it stands from that viewpoint. I haven't heard anything about how functional the gate system will be or how many gates have already been seeded or that the gates work before the Destiny visits them, so that would be a counter-argument if you've heard something I haven't.
              According to the official site, the Stargates were "placed centuries ahead of the Destiny" (link: here), meaning that unless it takes centuries for the 'Gate-seeder ship to establish the network, the Destiny will be spending most of its time exploring pre-established 'Gate networks.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                Firstly, in order to even contemplate this, the person would have to know where the Destiny was going, right down to the 'Gate address.

On top of that, once the Destiny leaves the galaxy, it is forever beyond reach, unless the person has a ZPM (or similar power source) and a dialing computer capable of dialing an eight-chevron address. Why? You suggest dialing a sequence of 'Gates to catch up, but there would be no 'Gates between the galaxies: the Milky Way is about 100,000 light across, but galaxies are generally millions of light years apart. Stargates can generally reach anywhere in their galaxy via a seven-cheron address, but as seen from the the 'Gate-Bridge used in Stargate: Atlantis, Stargates have a maximum range of about 100,000 light years, as thirty of them are needed to form a chain crossing the 3,000,000 between Milky Way and Pegasus.

Therefore, yes, a person could 'Gate to the edge of the galaxy in which he or she were strnded, but the Stargates there would lack the range to connect to the Stargates in the next galaxy, and the Destiny would be in hyperspace and thus unable to take travellers.
                i like that idea. how about this

the team first ge to the destiny due to a long range proximity alarm at atlantis (perhaps the ship is due to survay the new planet atlantis is on, the team gate beam gate aboard (once the destiny is in orbit the atlantis computer detects destiny and unlocks files that provide information of how to get aboard) once aboard the destiny jumps. you may think ive digressed but heres the bit im getting at. after the jump from its one and only chance encounter with atlantis (theonly place in that may have possesed the info to get aboard in the first place) it jumps out of range of any stargates that are known to us, even out of range of a zpm powered gate weve only seen a zpm gate dial an adjacent galaxy not one severa galaxies away perhaps an ori supergate has the range as as far as we know they are powered by something far more vast than a zpm. and what if the destiny dusnt use an intergalactic hyperspace drive but instead uses a sort of built in supergate that unfolds around the ship to jump (think the moving nacells on the uss vovager or the battle blades on the andromeda) And who is to say the course is planet a to planet b then c ect it may have a random course that skips entire galaxies at a time

Comment

Originally posted by toby1kanobi View Post
                  the team first ge to the destiny due to a long range proximity alarm at atlantis (perhaps the ship is due to survay the new planet atlantis is on, the team gate beam gate aboard (once the destiny is in orbit the atlantis computer detects destiny and unlocks files that provide information of how to get aboard) once aboard the destiny jumps.
                  All of this is predicated on the notion that the Destiny is discovered in "known" space, however, this will almost certainly not be the case. The Destiny left millions of years ago ; however, even if it had "made the rounds" of the Local Group (a cluster of about 40 galaxies which include Milky Way and Pegasus), that still would have taken it a few centuries at most (if it takes a full decade to explore one galaxy). In other words, the Destiny is already tens of thousands of galaxies "away."

Originally posted by toby1kanobi View Post
                  what if the destiny dusnt use an intergalactic hyperspace drive but instead uses a sort of built in supergate that unfolds around the ship to jump (think the moving nacells on the uss vovager or the battle blades on the andromeda)
                  There are two problems with this design:
                  1. There would be no destination Super 'Gate to which the ship's Super 'Gate could connect.
                  2. Once the ship had traveled through the Super 'Gate, there would be no way for said Super 'Gate to reach the ship: in order to travel to the ship, the Super 'Gate would have to disassemble itself, which would, of course, cut the connection.

Comment

chances are the Destiny will jump to another galaxy once they gate on and activate it. Then if you get left behind it's going to be like calling for chinese food while in china with no phone book and a 36 button phone.

On a 36 glyph stargate, even if you knew the PoO was the last glyph that still leaves 35 glyphs for 5 slots of the address which means you have 389,555,840 possible outcomes. you would be lucky to get another connection and an act of god to get the next stop for Destiny.

Comment

Working...
                    X