This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkElfa View Post
    I've been a member here for years and I remember these exact kinds of things said about Atlantis when it was announced. Just stop with the negativity and give something new a chance, obviously if Atlantis was so great, it would not have been canceled, now would it?

Oh, and FYI, and StarGate series would have eaten an Asgard to have 90210's ratings. Just food for thought.

Mainly the reason that Atlantis failed is because the stories were piss poor. Instead of taking advantage of the opportunity to explore Atlantis and uncover more about the Ancients, the writers kept doing these one off killer virus and body swap stories which did nothing to further the series which is exactly the kind of thing that slowly killed Star Trek. So before you try and kick the series for its characters, you might start worrying more about whether or not the writers will be able to make the series interesting at all.
    It seems you missed the part where they said that they wanted to cancel the show and make Atlantis movies, while it was on it's PEAK.
    That propably means, if you also consider the rattings, which are higher this year, and they kept getting better each year, that Atlantis is at it's peak.
    And if you point me a show that hasn't got a couple of indifferent or even bad episodes each season i may agree with you.Most shows have a lot more than a couple of bad episodes. Most shows have "propably" 5-6 great episodes per season.Atlantis had a couple of bad episodes per season.
    Spoiler:
    APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
    (YEAR 0 - 100)
    "O thou Sun,
    send me as far over the earth
    as is my pleasure and thine,
    and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
    but never hear anything of bad ones,
    nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
      It seems you missed the part where they said that they wanted to cancel the show and make Atlantis movies, while it was on it's PEAK.
      That propably means, if you also consider the rattings, which are higher this year, and they kept getting better each year, that Atlantis is at it's peak.
      And if you point me a show that hasn't got a couple of indifferent or even bad episodes each season i may agree with you.Most shows have a lot more than a couple of bad episodes. Most shows have "propably" 5-6 great episodes per season.Atlantis had a couple of bad episodes per season.
      Uh, no they don't. Other than season 4 and 5 they had been steadily declining, recently they have been improving, but they're no where near as high as they were early on in the series' run. The reason they're going for Universe instead of a 6th season of Atlantis is because the profit margins will be much higher, as even if Universe doesn't pull higher ratings than Atlantis (it almost certainly will), it will still probably be cheaper to produce. Not to mention the fact that this gives MGM and Sci Fi the opportunity to get the very low risk DVD movie format rolling for Atlantis.

Comment

Everyone seems to forget that a decision to end a show does not always equate to "being cancelled" honestly, sometimes its better to decide when you want to opt out rather than praying to go on for 20 seasons. This lesson should have been learned from the X-Files.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          This lesson should have been learned from the X-Files.
          And SG1, Moebuis was a perfect ending. I wouldn't want Atlantis to go on if it would just end up like the mess they called season 9 and 10 of SG1. Although i'll be sorry to see it go at least Atlantis is ending on a high note, i'm thankful for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Apep View Post
            And SG1, Moebuis was a perfect ending. I wouldn't want Atlantis to go on if it would just end up like the mess they called season 9 and 10 of SG1. Although i'll be sorry to see it go at least Atlantis is ending on a high note, i'm thankful for that.
            Without Reckoning and Threads season 8 would be almost pointless, it was the low point in the series as far as I'm concerned, season 9 and 10 were far superior IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              Without Reckoning and Threads season 8 would be almost pointless, it was the low point in the series as far as I'm concerned, season 9 and 10 were far superior IMO.
              I concur that S8 was lousy minus Reckoning and Threads (though I would also throw in Full Alert as being amazing), the thing is, at least it gave it a chance to wind down sufficiently. But let's face it, the entire purpose of S8 was to close plot lines, and to fully pass the torch to Atlantis by finding them a ZPM and allowing re-establishment of contact.

And whilst I love S9 and 10 of SG1. It was a complete re-invention, just as X-Files attempted to do with S8 and S9. Both of which got axed. Realistically, despite the fact that I enjoyed S9 and 10 of SG1, it WASN'T Sg1 any more (well, apart from the mythology, which made it WAY more Sg1 than S7 and 8), it would have been better as Stargate Command, retaining only Daniel Jackson as a lead character.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
                J'M is the guy who thought that "whispers " and "irespossible" where inetresting and wonderfull episodes!!!
                Since when do viewers take the film/show/makers opinions as facts?
                Me? Never. In fact I don't ever trust Mallozzi. I'm just posting what the article says.

Comment

Why would there be?

They've done nothing so far to suggest it'll be good.

Unlike Atlantis, which had it's entire premise suggested in SG1 since S3 or the like, and we were all clamouring to know more about the mysterious Ancients (now we've just been saturated by them), the show had lead us towards Atlantis and Daniel Jackson's comments in Season 6, and then the hints at what Atlantis could be in the Lost City, just made us desperate for it.

What have they given us for SGU?

No build up. Nothing but a disgustingly generical and typically shallow casting list, full of beauties and hunks, a premise that can only realistically appeal to the Ancient obsessees, because once again, it's ALL about the Ancients.

And a concept that's so OUT THERE, that we'll lose a lot of the earthbased stuff we all loved, which would be fine, if we thought they could achieve their aim, but a lot of us think we'll see yet MORE Canadian forests.

Yep i sick of all the canadian forests... how about some beaches like hawaii?(and I bet the cast would love it too ) I agree the build-up to sga was great, but somehow they lost their way in the Lost City and forgot the city and allowed it turn into another formulaic show. what a waste of a great opportunity!

I concur that S8 was lousy minus Reckoning and Threads (though I would also throw in Full Alert as being amazing), the thing is, at least it gave it a chance to wind down sufficiently. But let's face it, the entire purpose of S8 was to close plot lines, and to fully pass the torch to Atlantis by finding them a ZPM and allowing re-establishment of contact.

And whilst I love S9 and 10 of SG1. It was a complete re-invention, just as X-Files attempted to do with S8 and S9. Both of which got axed. Realistically, despite the fact that I enjoyed S9 and 10 of SG1, it WASN'T Sg1 any more (well, apart from the mythology, which made it WAY more Sg1 than S7 and 8), it would have been better as Stargate Command, retaining only Daniel Jackson as a lead character.
                  I too look at s9 & 10 of Sg1 as SGC. Daniel could have stayed and teal'c too - but hey let sam and jack move on (and ok get married I admit it), hammond retire and the new group move forward.

Comment

I suspected SGU may actually be SG: 90210. I mean younger audience + character driven story a worry is it might be SG:OC thats worst. I mean the description says a team discovers the Destiny so a basic SG team composed of only 4 members so what happens if this is the case?
                    Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
                      I suspected SGU may actually be SG: 90210. I mean younger audience + character driven story a worry is it might be SG:OC thats worst. I mean the description says a team discovers the Destiny so a basic SG team composed of only 4 members so what happens if this is the case?
                      Well it can't just be four members on the crew...that's not enough sexual tension, love affairs and infidelity to go around for a whole season. They need at least six people. Learn from BSG's mistakes! Four is not enough!

Comment

Originally posted by neiana View Post
                        Well it can't just be four members on the crew...that's not enough sexual tension, love affairs and infidelity to go around for a whole season. They need at least six people. Learn from BSG's mistakes! Four is not enough!
                        As if anything information that's been released indicates that's what the show will be like anyway...

Comment

That's the point isn't it. It is character driven storyline with a team of four. Well lets just give it a chance I just hope they don't have a tag line: "Destiny Calls" It is pretty arrogant I think.
                          Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Rose writes: “I’m puzzled every time it’s said (and it’s said a lot) that SGU will be more character-centered than SG-1 and Atlantis. The reason I eagerly tuned in to Atlantis every week for over four years is because of the characters. I looked forward to watching Sheppard, McKay, Ronon and Teyla, not the green screen stuff. Can you explain the difference?”

Answer: Don’t get me wrong. SG-1 and Atlantis owe much of their success to great characters like Jack O’Neill, Daniel Jackson, Amanda Tapping, Teal’c, and McKay. However, the premise of SGU is simply more intimate - a limited group of people trapped aboard a space ship hurtling through distant space - and therefore necessitates a more intimate form of storytelling.

Bdash writes: “I really am getting tired of SG:90210 being hyped as the “bestest thing evah!” How about giving us some actual concrete reasons for wanting to watch this show?”

Answer: Here’s an idea. Why don’t you tune in and decide for yourself instead of basing your opinion on any pre-launch discussion.
                            http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...verse-day-two/
                            sigpic
                            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Notice how JM doesn't repeat Sheppard, Ronon and Teyla in his reply but uses SG1 and McKay...
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The guy hates Atlantis and its characters. How was SGA supposed to succeed with such creature at the helm
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X