Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are going to see a LOT of Filler Episodes...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid there may not be a constant enemy such as the Goa'uld or the Wraith in SGU. considering all the galaxy hopping it is suggested the Destiny will be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
      The Torment of Tantalus was hardly a stand-alone nor a filler since it created the mythology of the Great Alliance and was our first look at Ancient writing and society. It also expanded on the Asgard by including them in the Alliance.
      On hindsight, yes - but it was meant as a stand-alone originally.

I guess I meant, like someone up here said, the original poster might have meant character driven as filler rather than the big explosionm, but I wouldn't consider a character driven episode (well, a well done character driven episode...) as a filler, but rather as a stand alone. However, Broken Ties or Talion or Family Ties-esque episode would be considered by me to be a filler.
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
        Ok, but those that means exploring the city. Don't take me wrong, I like the idea on paper. But what does it actually means? Don't forget that you must actually make a (original) story out of it. I can remember a few episodes where they did actually explore the city.
        "Hide and Seek," "Hot Zone," "The Defiant One," "Before I Sleep," "Trinity," "Echoes," "The Tao of Rodney," "Sunday," "Submersion," and "First Contact" all had to do with leftover Ancient technology and/or things that the team found while exploring Atlantis and its star system.

I simply have to say, the very nature of the show will make it rather difficult to have long-running arcs about things that are not on the Destiny, as any potential enemies/allies will only be "in range" as it were for a few episode before the ship moves on.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Isn't this supposed to be more character driven? Long running arcs should be easy to incorporate into the show...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike3121 View Post
            What I would like to see in character development would be character depth. Flash backs to their previous life, who they really are, sort of like the original concept on Lost. What I don't want to see is all type of angst with everyone at each others throats, just anger with no cooperation. Wow, I think I just described SGA's first season.

Inorder to keep the costs down they will probably have a lot of plot lines where one or more of the actor's body has been taken over by a alien being or perhaps a computer takes over the ship. These could be good but I don't want to see a steady diet of them. I do hope they keep the humor of the original SG1, and don't take themselves so seriously.

Just my little rant.
            Have you seen the new Universal Soldier 2007 I think it is?
            Well if you haven't, I have some advice for you.
            Don't. Just don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post

I simply have to say, the very nature of the show will make it rather difficult to have long-running arcs about things that are not on the Destiny, as any potential enemies/allies will only be "in range" as it were for a few episode before the ship moves on.
              I thought the ship was moving around inside the same galaxy? Possibly a galaxy with its own stargate system, so anybody can be interlinked like the goauld, jaffa, tokra, human in our galaxy.
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

i don't see how SGU will have any higher potential for filler episodes than the other 2 series...

i would prefer if they continued atlantis rather than started SGU, but since they are, I'll definitely support it.

some of my favorite episodes of both SG1 and SGA were the "filler", character based episodes like "Trio", "Quarantine", "Solitudes", "Threads", "Duet", "The Other Guys"....

if any show is going to build itself for a long-term run, they have to stretch out the main story arc and "fill" the rest with character development and exploring the show's setting.

I've trusted TPTB with the SG franchise ever since the beginning and have thoroughly enjoyed every season of SG1/SGA so far... being that it's the same minds behind SGU, i trust that it'll follow suit.

it's so annoying hearing everyone complaining about "TPTB" b/c they're the ones bringing you the shows that you claim to enjoy. if you're so annoyed with the PROGRESSION of the franchise, then why are you hanging around on a website like GateWorld?

A franchise that's nearly 15 years old is bound to evolve... i can't wait to see what the next evolution in SGU will be.
                I'm a teenage filmmaker, and these are my films.
                youtube.com/caffruso

Comment

I think the nature of the show itself, jumping from galaxy to galaxy across the universe, means we won't have consistent enemies or anything like that. I expect most to be stand alone where they get supplies, solve problems on that planet, ect.

The only consistent enemy I could think of is a ship following them, or an enemy that has spread across the universe like a replicator race or something.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by swwack91 View Post
                    if you're so annoyed with the PROGRESSION of the franchise, then why are you hanging around on a website like GateWorld?
                    The GateWorld forum is a discussion forum so people can make topics about how much they are annoyed by such things if they want to.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by swwack91 View Post
                      some of my favorite episodes of both SG1 and SGA were the "filler", character based episodes like "Trio", "Quarantine", "Solitudes", "Threads", "Duet", "The Other Guys"....

A franchise that's nearly 15 years old is bound to evolve... i can't wait to see what the next evolution in SGU will be.
                      How are these fillers? (the one's i bolded)

Evolve? Oh please, the last few years of SGA have been 'SG1: Revisited' in terms of plot lines and characters.
                      Meh.

Comment

I thought filler shows were the best part of SG-1 and something that fans were crying for when the Ori appeared in the storyline and there were no more filler/'out to the stargate to see what happens'. 'The Others' was a great episode, very fun and very orginal. I think SG-U will be alot like voyager and have alot of one off episodes and thats what made it different from the series. Specially a series that is more ship based then stargate based. I think if you don't like that then don't watch SG-U

Comment

^You see, that's the main thing I'm worried about... Stargate Voyager.

I know it's off-topic, but what made Stargate unique is that it's scifi, but it's about exploring the universe with something other than a spaceship. When I first heard about Stargate Universe and that it was going to be about the ninth chevron, I thought it was going to be awesome. But now it seems it's going to be almost entirely ship-based. Basically, unlike with Atlantis (where you still at least saw the gate often, even if it wasn't that relevant), TPTB really need to incorporate the gate into it if we still want to call it Stargate and not Star Trek.

On-topic: The likelihood of a great amount of filler episodes/stand-alones also worries me. On one hand, it's a chance to explore many, many different aliens (hopefully, alien-aliens instead of another humanoid race created by the Ancients). But on the other hand, what's the point of introducing them all if we're never going to see them again - seeing as the ship continues travelling? While there may be progressions in character development, how will the overall story grow?

Comment

I predict they'll have a holodeck or at least alternate universe episodes Mark my words! I do see filler episodes aplenty due to the fact they're in a mobile situation. No home base, really, unless you could the ship as a home base, and sorry, well, it sounds more and more like Stargate Voyager.

And they'll rip off at least a dozen SG1/SGA plots too

Comment

For me the filler episodes of the Early seasons of Stargate SG1 were great, I still love them now, nowerdays I don't always get the time to watch an entire arc, on a off subject but kinda related to this in some way is Enterprise, seasons 1 -2 had stand along with the end of season cliff-hangers, however I loved season 3-4 but!...as you will know if your a fan is these seasons like so many shows had continuing arc's that spanned an entire season and season 4 had 3 part episodes that lasted ages lol

In Stargate, I loved the fact they did so many stand alone episodes in many season, but, many of those episodes such as Changeling, The Other side and Need were very much self contained, but they spanned the Stargate Universe itself and opened it up more, in Changeling Teal'c lost his Symbiote, in Need we discovered the value of Naquahdah and in episodes such as Thor's Hamer they paved the way for later episodes.

In essence, every episode pretty much was a requisite for making SG1 the show that is was, GREAT!, no episode was too trivial, no episode was unecessary and no episode kept the storylines stationary, they all moved it along and gave way to some of the more memorable major arc's such as the Reol syrum used against the Goa'uld system Lord's, the Dakara Weapon used against the Ori, the Supergate used against the Ori and aginst the Wraith in the same episode...the events spanned over to the SGA also...that's why I love it so much!
                              sigpic
                              In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

I loved what they did with Season 9 and 10. Even the fillers were tied into the main arc in some small way.

Comment

Working...
                                X