Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What popular myths should Universe touch on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
    Yes, I do have a problem with it, but the writer's haven't created any plot that directly implies that Christianity, or any other religion in belief today, is based around a false god(s).
    that is exactly what is 'implied', unless you happen to believe in ancient races that look like us. creating life in the galaxy? i don't know of a religion that believes it but there's bound to be one.......... though at the same time they have cam talking about 'god' being a whole order higher in power than the ori, bit wishy washy really, they should be less ambiguous.

Of course, stargate does need a scientific way to explain things, an many of stargate's concepts haven't lined up with religion. That's a given. But developing an atheistic, or secular history for a scifi tv show is not the same as denouncing specific religions.
    no they're not specific, they're deliberately vague
    sigpic
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

Comment

I'm hoping there won't be any Earth based mythology/religion in Stargate Universe. I think this show provides an excellent oppertunity to create new mythologies/religions. Personally i think it would be likely that the races in STU have the Stargate as a part of their mythology/religion. It would be interesting to see how these beliefs will be influenced by the presence and insights of Earth humans.

The portrayal of Christianity or other widely practiced real world religions in Stargate is completely irrelevant. The Stargate universe is a fictional universe, the origins of religion will be different in the Stargate universe than the origin of these religions in the real world. So what does it matter how these religions are portrayed?
      sigpic

Comment

Id like to see the Aboriginal concept of Dream Time
        "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

The flying spaghetti monster with his noodly apendages
          Last edited by jnadreth; 21 October 2008, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
            Id like to see the Aboriginal concept of Dream Time
            But what would they get out of that?
            Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
              But what would they get out of that?
              The traditions and lore of Australia's indigenous peoples belongs to what may be the oldest continuous culture on Earth (circa 50,000 years). Indigenous Australian peoples conceive of all things beginning with The Dreaming or Altjeringa (also called the Dreamtime), a sacred 'once upon a time'...time out of time in which ancestral Totemic Spirit Beings formed The Creation.
              Aboriginals believe in two forms of time; two parallel streams of activity. One is the daily objective activity, the other is an infinite spiritual cycle called the "dreamtime", more real than reality itself. Whatever happens in the dreamtime establishes the values, symbols, and laws of Aboriginal society. It was believed that some people of unusual spiritual powers had contact with the dreamtime.

You tell me that doesn't lend itself to some awesome stories
              "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

The traditions and lore of Australia's indigenous peoples belongs to what may be the oldest continuous culture on Earth (circa 50,000 years). Indigenous Australian peoples conceive of all things beginning with The Dreaming or Altjeringa (also called the Dreamtime), a sacred 'once upon a time'...time out of time in which ancestral Totemic Spirit Beings formed The Creation.
                Aboriginals believe in two forms of time; two parallel streams of activity. One is the daily objective activity, the other is an infinite spiritual cycle called the "dreamtime", more real than reality itself. Whatever happens in the dreamtime establishes the values, symbols, and laws of Aboriginal society. It was believed that some people of unusual spiritual powers had contact with the dreamtime.

You tell me that doesn't lend itself to some awesome stories
                That definetely does sound interesting, I ad no idea the 'Dreamtime' was that extensive, I'm an Australian myself btw.
                Meh.

Comment

That definetely does sound interesting, I ad no idea the 'Dreamtime' was that extensive, I'm an Australian myself btw.
                  Well you get a D in being Australian don't you? I'm kidding of course...

Seriously thought I love your countries history and I've always wanted to visit...back to the topic I think Dreamtime could tie into the higher levels of existence Oma talked about...maybe an enemy who is on a plane of existence much MUCH higher than even the Ancients

Comment

Well you get a D in being Australian don't you? I'm kidding of course...
                    LOL Mate by not knowing more about my country i am considered a true blue Australian. Remembering we are a country of people who pride ourselves on not giving a hoot and not knowing the words to our country's anthem
                    Meh.

Comment

LOL Mate by not knowing more about my country i am considered a true blue Australian. Remembering we are a country of people who pride ourselves on not giving a hoot and not knowing the words to our country's anthem
                      I win because I was called mate...yup...I win

Comment

Working...
                      X