X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caius View Post
    I think of them like this:

- Many are addicted to social networking sites and their own close-knit world of friends. So their ideas and way of learning usually flow from and around this world.

- Would rather do things like drink with friends at clubs than miss partying to watch an "uncool" or "socially damaging" and cheesy Star Trek-like, Sci Fi show late at night.

- Many are illiterate (or mentally stunted with understanding word) thanks to the older generations not caring and investing in their educations. So those geeky moments on SGA which usually involve long technical terms.....gone in SGU.

- Would rather spend late nights chasing a root, than watch sci fi.

- Haven't been really exposed to the world of ideas and thought (bad education and bad parenting)... and so they would have a hard time understanding and relating to a far flung flight of imagination-driven fantasy.

- Have got a million other.. quick, easily gratifying, and more entertaining things to do...

Either the Producers of this show have finally lost it, or they have got some serious World Class talent on their hands who possess the abilities to crack open a new audience... to open up an audience who will mostly not even give these types of shows a nanosecond of an honest chance.

Even I have written better concepts than SGU. Which is sad.

This SGU thingy sounds weak. I haven't even heard one thing about it that I like yet. It sounds like a glossed up, soulless and empty franchise... aimed at people who are not going to appreciate it.

Hell, I'd love to be proven wrong...then maybe I'll start watching TV again when Atlantis ends.

Did I miss something out?
    So what, u sit at home and watch the news, watch the OC, One Tree Hill and other teeny-bopper shows and think that we are all like that? You are a judgemental ignorant fool if you think all teenagers are what you described.
    Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyke View Post
      Chasing a root? Well that's about 99% of the males I know from 15-25, about half of the girls that age I know too!
      *more confused than ever*

Comment

Maybe it's just where I live? Gold Coast, Australia.

Root = Act of thr survival of the species.
        Listen to the The Bad Touch by Bloodhound Gang if you need more information .

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
          *more confused than ever*
          "Chasing a root" means trying to get a piece of ass.
          Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
          End of line.

Comment

so annother thread about annother guy who thinks younger audience means only teens watching it. yea right.

younger audience, means people in their 30's, not 40's as it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyke View Post
              Maybe it's just where I live? Gold Coast, Australia.

Root = Act of thr survival of the species.
              Listen to the The Bad Touch by Bloodhound Gang if you need more information .
              lol yes perhaps "root" has a different meaning to us aussies!
              though i would never use that word to describe it.. lol

i also have to say that while many younger people do fit the description you have given there are also many who don't. i for one admit 5 years ago that 70% of the points did apply to me but as i have aged ( now 20) i have matured past my friends and find what they enjoy doing and watching to be utterly boring and uningaging.
              please do not steriotype people you do not know!
              Last edited by flea247; 03 October 2008, 04:43 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bfldworker View Post
                "Chasing a root" means trying to get a piece of ass.
                Ah, see I was thinking that "root" was specific to male anatomy and was therefore confused when 99% of the guys that he knew were chasing after it.

Comment

lmao well im glad we cleared that up for you !
                  sigpic

Comment

I am mostly correct about my peers. Look at the once cool MTV for proof. Just look at the long line of churned-out crappy 'reality' TV shows on it... like the Hills, Real Life, *Insert B and C Stars new shows here*...etc.

People these days have their own awful particular tastes in entertainment.

And I don't think that flat, generic, boring and almost patronizingly awful characters that are supposedly meant to connect with a much larger base of younger audiences will work.

Those MTV characters appeal because they have money (or Daddies with money), got clothes, cars, careers (or daddies with careers). In this material world, kids love people who are status symbols of success, excess, sluttiness and stupidity.

What is SGU gonna have?

Some younger guys in geeky uniforms who mention Snoop Dogg, before getting ambushed in Canadian forest and shooting down a Hissing, snarling bad guy with cheesy glowing eyes effect no 2987598376905609?

Sneriously. Sneriously I say!

Do that and SGU is screwed.

Youth 1 watches SGU on tv in his shared flat living room. Youth 2 enters.

Youth 2:
                    "Dude"

Youth 1 turns his head slowly toward Youth 2

Youth 1:
                    "...Dude?"

Youth 2:
                    "Yeah Dude. That show is soo gay. That "alien" chick with the glowing eyes looks sooo like this chick I banged behind Buger King only a week ago. And how come every show these days have outdoors that look exactly like Canadian F***ing forest land."

Youth 1:
                    "Dude. It's a good show if you give it a chance."

Youth 2:
                    "Dude. Forget this stupid show.. let's borrow my uncles Merc and use it to pick up some skanks."

Youth 1:
                    "Dude!!"

Youth 2 looks sternly upon youth 1.

Youth 2:
                    "...........Dude."

Youth 3 and 4 enter the living room.

Youth 3:
                    "Dudes, I thought we going to pick up some skanks tonight?"

Youth 4 nods in agreement.

Youth 2:
                    "Dude, this dude over here wants to watch this crappy sci fi show, dude"

Youth 1:
                    "...Ok Dudes, I'm coming along"

Youth 2:
                    "Awesome dude. That's the spirit."

Youth 1,2,3,4 all leave their shared flat living room to pick up skanks in a burrowed Mercedez Benz.

And the case rests....

Comment

Dude!

Did you hear that MTV was re-making RHPS?! They're going to craptastify it.

</random aside>

Comment

Tamara Jon
                        20-25, all ethnicities (Asian Preferably). SGC Field medic, Captain grade.

That right there is my biggest issue with Universe. A 25 year old Captain. Most Captains are like 35. They keep doing that too. Major Lorne or Lieutenant Ford, maybe bad examples but i'm past caring. They take people who are way too young and give them way too much seniority.

Comment

Originally posted by Caius View Post
                          I am mostly correct about my peers. Look at the once cool MTV for proof. Just look at the long line of churned-out crappy 'reality' TV shows on it... like the Hills, Real Life, *Insert B and C Stars new shows here*...etc.

People these days have their own awful particular tastes in entertainment.

And I don't think that flat, generic, boring and almost patronizingly awful characters that are supposedly meant to connect with a much larger base of younger audiences will work.

Those MTV characters appeal because they have money (or Daddies with money), got clothes, cars, careers (or daddies with careers). In this material world, kids love people who are status symbols of success, excess, sluttiness and stupidity.

What is SGU gonna have?

Some younger guys in geeky uniforms who mention Snoop Dogg, before getting ambushed in Canadian forest and shooting down a Hissing, snarling bad guy with cheesy glowing eyes effect no 2987598376905609?

Sneriously. Sneriously I say!

Do that and SGU is screwed.

Youth 1 watches SGU on tv in his shared flat living room. Youth 2 enters.

Youth 2:
                          "Dude"

Youth 1 turns his head slowly toward Youth 2

Youth 1:
                          "...Dude?"

Youth 2:
                          "Yeah Dude. That show is soo gay. That "alien" chick with the glowing eyes looks sooo like this chick I banged behind Buger King only a week ago. And how come every show these days have outdoors that look exactly like Canadian F***ing forest land."

Youth 1:
                          "Dude. It's a good show if you give it a chance."

Youth 2:
                          "Dude. Forget this stupid show.. let's borrow my uncles Merc and use it to pick up some skanks."

Youth 1:
                          "Dude!!"

Youth 2 looks sternly upon youth 1.

Youth 2:
                          "...........Dude."

Youth 3 and 4 enter the living room.

Youth 3:
                          "Dudes, I thought we going to pick up some skanks tonight?"

Youth 4 nods in agreement.

Youth 2:
                          "Dude, this dude over here wants to watch this crappy sci fi show, dude"

Youth 1:
                          "...Ok Dudes, I'm coming along"

Youth 2:
                          "Awesome dude. That's the spirit."

Youth 1,2,3,4 all leave their shared flat living room to pick up skanks in a burrowed Mercedez Benz.

And the case rests....
                          Hmmmm, all that post tells me is that:
                          a) you are an ignorant fool, and
                          b) you seem to be able to use generalisations to put across your view very well, but that does not stop them from being generalisations
                          Meh.

Comment

Bah...you young people today have sooo easy. With your garage door openers, remote controls, wrist watches, portabale telephones, toasters. I bet you kids don't even milk your own cows...Bah!
                            In my day we even had to walk 16 miles to get to the nearest bathroom. AND WE LIKED IT! WE LOVED IT. LIFE WAS GREAT!!!

Comment

i bet it was great, i would have enjoyed it i think, but i will contest one point. there have been wrist watches and toasters around for quite some time now and i personally have milked a cow when i lived on our farm. fresh milk straight form the cow to the mouth!!!! nothing beats it

perhaps thats why i am so interested in history, the way people lived in the o'l days hehe
                              sigpic

Comment

To me it is not a young cast.
                                young is like teens. That to young. Like the 100/200 fun episode with those youngsters. But they where to young and unrealistic for a airforce career and excel in it to get choosen to do such special ofworld ops.

22 to 30 isn't young. It'd more barley old enough to have a start in a career. So ripe adults in it peek of performance. No teens. But 22 tot 30 years old.

No 40 year old have a problem watching 25 year old cute females.

Females and males in this context off offworld opps are often the best of the best. To even be in such operation of national importance. And arent that much regular of what you find in your enviorment at home. Bunch of nogoods dropouts.

And because they are a tad younger then we use to. Not in such extreem manner that it alianate the current audience. of corse some will drop it. but 20+ will pick it up easier.
                                even I as 38 find Amanda tapping bit old and wheredown as a mammy. A 20 year old male even more. I not so censitive to star status. I find other younger actrice far more cuter then her. Some tok'ra hitting on O'Niell.

So I see no problem with a bit younger cast.

Altho I agree that the higher the officer rank is the older.
                                But rank depends also by sucseded mission and opertunities to stand out.
                                a 25 could bypass a 35 old. In a fast career.

I wonder if there is a strory plot witch explains why the cast is young.

like in atlantis first epp. the highest ranked got killed.

The oldies get killed soon. So if you see some one old he/she might die soon in the series. Or is no regular.
                                Or the commander is no regular. And it's more aimed at off ship missions where the team is regular cast.

Comment

Working...
                                X