This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Regards to JM'S comments.

I couldnt care less the reason why this group of people are there, it could be the best reason ever. thats not what concerns me, what concerns me is having the cast calls be correct and be the basis for these characters im supposed to connect with and want to watch.

sorry but watching a bunch of Pretty Young things run around playing at starship troopers does not float my boat. they could be set anywhere for any reason and i still wouldnt care who slept with whom, who's hanging on by a thread and why.

its the characters themselves that will determine my inetrest in the show. it took me a year to come to terms with and enjoy Atlantis again after the upheavel's. i stuck with it because i cared about the other characters and wanted to see how they would cope. Universe doesnt have that to lure me in, im going to see the first episode because i could be totaly barking up the wrong tree in thinking that it will be the OC in space. But if that 1st ep doesnt make me care about the characters the way Atlantis did in rising, then that will be it for me.
    sigpic
    banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

I was thinking they are trying to emulate Torchwood.

TPTB: "Hey guys, lets appeal to all of the audiences who are watching what seems to be popular on TV right now. We can do the exact same thing, only ours will be completely different. See, we'll get a few bimboes to keep the guys happy, and we'll add some beefcake for the ladies. It's a winning combination! "

Oh, wait, I'm wrong. It's not Torchwood. It's "Lost". "Lost in Space!"
      Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
        I just did some research, and here are the ages of the cast when they started...

(SG-1 1997)
        Richard Dean Anderson - 47
        Michael Shanks - 28
        Amanda Tapping - 32
        Christopher Judge - 33
        You forget Don S. Davis - 55

Comment

Colonel Everett Young: I like
          Tamara Jon: IDK
          Chloe Carpenter: could be interesting, and change things up
          Eli Hitchcock: sounds good
          Lt. Jared Nash: sounds stupid
          Ron "Psycho" Stasiak: sounds cool if he actually is like Hoot then yes if he is just another teal'c/ronon clone NO(I like teal'c but one of him is enough)

Comment

And, about Ron "Psycho" Stasiak...

What kind of army would aloved guy with this description to stay on active duty:
            Lacks control over his temper in non combat situations. His past is a mystery but it's clear something dark formed the hard shell around him. Yet, there must also be some moral center because otherwise he'd kill everyone around him.

Surely, no normal, decent army, only some African warlord gang. This guy evidently suffers from some kind of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSP).

Comment

Originally posted by Hong3103 View Post
              That's where his CPL's & SGT's step in to mentor him, help him develop and grow. At least that's how it would happen in reality...
              Too bad TPTB have decided to take a big steaming dump Military Authenticity in the last 4 or 5 years however I would hope the description is an exaggeration.

Comment

SGU is ridiculous. They cancelled Atlantis for this !
                Throw it out and boycott it.
                a sga fan very angry !

Comment

I don't think a boycott is required. Somehow I think anyone with any taste, judgement and desire to be entertained will be avoiding this dud like the plague.

Comment

And I simply can't uderstand some of you peeople when you said "this is show for younger audience". That is not true. I know bunch of Stargate fans from 15 to 25 (I0m now 29 ), and they don't watch these teen type crappy series, the hate it.
                    Last edited by Miroslav; 19 September 2008, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miroslav View Post
                      And I simply can't uderstant some of you peeople when you said "this is show for younger audience". That is not true. I know bunch of Stargate fans from 15 to 25 (I0m now 29 ), and they don't watch these teen type crappy series, the hate it.
                      You are absolutely right. I suspect that many of us are being unfair to the younger Staragte fans who want more from their entertainment than shallowness, I suspect it's why they are watching Stargate in the first place. I also suspect that the ones being most unfair are Brad Wright and Robert Cooper in assigning this level of shallowness to younger viewers in the first place.

Well they seem set on this disaster, with any luck it will last a season at most, then we may get more SG-1 or Atlantis movies

Comment

I don't know... I always watched Stargate, because it was light entertainment, nothing too serious, not like BSG. SGU doesn't sound shallow to me, actually with a more varied character set than Atlantis had... But that's just an IMO, you don't have to kill me.

If by shallowness people are referring to "beautiful", "sexy", "teenage girls' dream": if the producers cast well, not attractive people, they lessen their chances of success. Calling sheets are for agents and their auditioning actors.
                        sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

Originally posted by Vespasianus View Post
                          I don't know... I always watched Stargate, because it was light entertainment, nothing too serious, not like BSG. SGU doesn't sound shallow to me, actually with a more varied character set than Atlantis had... But that's just an IMO, you don't have to kill me.

If by shallowness people are referring to "beautiful", "sexy", "teenage girls' dream": if the producers cast well, not attractive people, they lessen their chances of success. Calling sheets are for agents and their auditioning actors.
                          No absolutely your entitled to your own opinion! And no one is going to kill you for it!

But I still have to disagree with you. I think it's a given that they are going to cast attractive people, but unfortunately it appears that at least two of these characters looks are an integral part of their characters. And that is shallow.

Comment

I forgot to mention these in my last post:

Eli Hitchcock - reminds me to Elizabeth Weir.
                            Ron Nash - reminds me to Ronon Dex.

So I hope they will find out better character names.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Only one thing to say about this 'cast'....

BRING BACK ATLANTIS!!

Failing that, at least cast REALISTIC, BELIEVABLE PEOPLE FOR SUCH A CLASSIFIED MISSION, not bints and beefcake!!!!

SGU = Stargate 90210 at this rate...
                              sigpic
                              My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

Well it's been quite some time since I posted here but after all that's been said on Atlantis's cancelation and the negative reaction to Universe I felt it was time to weigh in.

I'm in the UK so I havn't seen the new season of Atlantis but so far things I've read have been positive, I don't dont just watch Atlantis I collect the DVD's - as I did for SG1... I love these shows and watch them through many times a year.

So first off I would like to say thanks alot to cast and crew of both shows for giving me something I deeply enjoy to watch over the last 12 years.

Now I trust the showrunners and writers - they have come up with some great stuff over the years and I am happy to give those people the benefit of the doubt.

As for the casting calls, these are just early hints at these people - it's the Actors (we know they have so far attracted great people to the roles both SG1 and SGA) and writers that make them (who have written some fantastic stuff over the years), It would be interesting to see the original casting calls for Atlantis knowing who the charecters are now and where they came from on paper.

The only one I knew of from Atlantis was Rodney and from watching him on the SG1 episodes I didn't know how much I could stomach him full time... but he became certainly one of my favourite charecters.

Yes I'm not happy that SGA was cancelled and yes I would love for it to continue.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but labeling a show "90210 Voyager" before seeing even a teaser is both shortsited and immature.

Just my 2 cents... or pennies

thedon
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X