Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... WHICH bit of SGU is making YOU inclined to hate it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing is making me going to hate it. But I've got the feeling it will be let down as I am no doubt expecting too much from the show.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
      It's who you know in this business that gets your spec scripts read. The best place to go for agent representation is the WGA web site and look at their list of agents. Why the WGA? Because that's what J. Michael Straczynski (creator of Babylon 5) told me when I asked him. What else did he tell me? As a NEW writer in the industry, an agent won't want to read a treatment, they'll want to see the whole, completed script.
      Still, non of that has anything to ad at all with the subject. And I have admitted I was wrong, I haven't tried to submit of of my work yet because frankly, non of it's ready.

Comment

Has anyone thought about how or why we would even have any conflict with any species?

I mean if this ship has been traveling for millions of years, and has not been disabled or destroyed, why will it be all of the sudden we will have any contact or conflict with alien species?
        You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Human error. As always.

"What does this device do?" Woops, goa'uld.

"Wonder what's in this village..." Woops, Wraith.

"Wonder if there are Ancients here..." Woops Ori.

"Wonder what's on this planet... oh no, a periscope looking weapon, they're hostile!" Woops mysterons.

I predict the same for SGU.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            'edgy' kinda makes me pause too cause these guys don't do edgy. they do comfortable and predictable. they fall into ruts and like it there so they stay. I can't see them taking the chances like other shows do, like BSG and others.

they have their comfort zone and their formula and they stick with it.
            "Edgy" for TPTB means stuff like the Rodney/Carson kiss- which was, of course, played off as a joke with extenuating circumstances so that no one would take it too seriously and risk thinking that- *gasp!* horror!- the whole "gay thing" was a suitable topic of storytelling.

"Edgy" in PTB-speak means leading us up to the edge of something... and then backing down and pretending it didn't happen. Or treating it as a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              "Edgy" for TPTB means stuff like the Rodney/Carson kiss- which was, of course, played off as a joke with extenuating circumstances so that no one would take it too seriously and risk thinking that- *gasp!* horror!- the whole "gay thing" was a suitable topic of storytelling.

"Edgy" in PTB-speak means leading us up to the edge of something... and then backing down and pretending it didn't happen. Or treating it as a joke.
              And emo behaviour. Lots and lots of broody angsty stuff, without much in the way to CAUSE it.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

'edgy' means to me, with these guys, experimenting half heartedly, chickening out half way through, letting the clencher parts die on the edit room floor after they've bragged publically about how great it'll be....then mocking those that call them on it.

we seriosly need new writers. If they want universe to have a shred of its own identity, they need new talent at the keyboard. we need 'young minds, fresh ideas' (with 'young' not necessarily meaning age young, but maybe new is a better word)

these guys don't seem to want to push themselves anymore. comfortable is easy adn easy is...easy. but easy is also predictible and trite and is why many fans just roll their eyes. 'familiarity breeds contempt', well a lot of us are VERY familiar with these writers. we know them and we know what they'll do. Heck, for some we can simply watch the first few scenes - without the credits - and know who wrote it because of how it's written. (like with whispers, as soon as i saw the 'omg, it's a team of girls!!!!' and hte hand bumb i was 'oh, joe wrote this didn't he?'

They need fresh cooks in the kitchen. if they dont' get them, universe is doomed.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

'edgy' means to me, with these guys, experimenting half heartedly, chickening out half way through, letting the clencher parts die on the edit room floor after they've bragged publically about how great it'll be....then mocking those that call them on it.

we seriosly need new writers. If they want universe to have a shred of its own identity, they need new talent at the keyboard. we need 'young minds, fresh ideas' (with 'young' not necessarily meaning age young, but maybe new is a better word)

these guys don't seem to want to push themselves anymore. comfortable is easy adn easy is...easy. but easy is also predictible and trite and is why many fans just roll their eyes. 'familiarity breeds contempt', well a lot of us are VERY familiar with these writers. we know them and we know what they'll do. Heck, for some we can simply watch the first few scenes - without the credits - and know who wrote it because of how it's written. (like with whispers, as soon as i saw the 'omg, it's a team of girls!!!!' and hte hand bumb i was 'oh, joe wrote this didn't he?'

They need fresh cooks in the kitchen. if they dont' get them, universe is doomed.
                  Steven Moffat. For definite. And heck, how about Chris Carter.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

even...hey, they want edgy, get some 'new' writers, as in NEW, new to the field. And then, shock of shocks, try LISTENING to them and letting them do their stuff, rather than 'yeah, we got senority, do it our way'

what's the good of bringing in new talent if your goal is simply to force that talent to conform to your ways??? why bother?

if universe wants its own identity, then start fresh from the ground up.

sigpic

Comment

This is true. Universe has the potential to be great if handled properly. I mean, I think you know how sceptical I am, but I'm open to it. But frankly, we're going to need stuff in the realms of Farscape for them to make this idea work the way it should.

"Universe" is awfully ambitious. If the universe looks like Canadian forests and not lovely purple swirly things, I'll be very put out.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

another advantqage of new writers - as in not a 'named' writer, and new cast....dude, newbies without lengthy reps come cheap. You cast a name, you hire chris Carter or JJ Abrhams or whomever, half you show's budget is gonna go to them.

why 'waste' your money on paying a name and stunt casting when you can instead take a bit of a risk, go with something without all the baggage of a lengthy resume and make something totally fresh and new.

sigpic

Comment

Good point. Heck, scour the internet for a good fanfic writer, and snap him up for minimum wage.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

If they want universe to have a shred of its own identity, they need new talent at the keyboard.
                            What on earth makes you think they want SGU to have a shred of its own identity?? Silly girl.

another advantqage of new writers - as in not a 'named' writer, and new cast....dude, newbies without lengthy reps come cheap. You cast a name, you hire chris Carter or JJ Abrhams or whomever, half you show's budget is gonna go to them.
                            The trick isn't to bring in a known name in the writing business, the trick is to find the next big name before s/he is discovered. SGU then becomes his/her/their signature piece and launches the show to previously unknown levels of cultdom and awesomeness.

Comment

yep.

but that's risky, and they don't like to take risks, tehy just stick with the safe and comfortable and then scratch their heads when fans yawn and change the channel

sigpic

Comment

...they just stick with the safe and comfortable and then scratch their heads when fans yawn and change the channel
                                No, then they start pissing and moaning about the evils of Skiffy for failing to provide adequate promotion/advertisement and whinging about how they were told to do such-and-such by so-and-so and they can't deny so-and-so who signs their paychecks (or signs someone's paychecks somewhere up the line) and then they get out their little pocket calculators and graphs and charts in order to prove how ACTUALLY the show's ratings are TOTALLY higher than ever if you factor in X, Y, and Z and divide by four as illustrated here on Graph C with a more detailed breakdown of the shows winningness here on Chart B.

Comment

Working...
                                X