Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... WHICH bit of SGU is making YOU inclined to hate it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    Works both ways though doesn't it? TPTB have created 300+ episodes of great entertainment, why should we assume they'll start making crap now?
    Your theory is highly dependent on your definition of "great entertainment".

If you enjoyed SG-1 and the last few years of SGA, then I would imagine you'll get more of the same. For me, that's NOT great entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
      I think that has more to do with the fact that they want to explore a much wider range of places. Another Atlantis style base wouldn't allow for that. They can explore loads of Galaxies with a ship, not just one or two. And the whole 'Stargate seeding the universe' thing, which is the whole point of the show, only really works with something that moves through space and between the different galaxies. Again, it just wouldn't work with another Atlantis style base.
      Who says they need a "base". Why can't a single team of say.. ten be stuck alone at the very edge of the universe?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
        Now they're talking about SG-1 characters in the SGA movies!
        That would actually make me more inclined to watch it. I MUCH prefer the SG1 cast.

SGA went downhill when they got rid of Weir and Beckett. But made me come back for Season 4 because Carter was in it. There's nothing I don't like about the first 8 seasons of SG1. The last two - well, cast changes really did the show in for me at that point.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
          That would actually make me more inclined to watch it. I MUCH prefer the SG1 cast.

SGA went downhill when they got rid of Weir and Beckett. But made me come back for Season 4 because Carter was in it. There's nothing I don't like about the first 8 seasons of SG1. The last two - well, cast changes really did the show in for me at that point.
          That's kind of how I feel about SGA. First years were great. Cast changes after Beckett and Weir and a decline in writing IMO ruined the show for me.

If SG-1 is what TPTB love and can't let go of, fine. Just don't pretend to be interested in something new if it's going to be compromised by a desire to hang onto the past. IMO that's what caused a lot of problems for SGA and will likely continue in SGU.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            Who says they need a "base". Why can't a single team of say.. ten be stuck alone at the very edge of the universe?
            *cough*infinity*/cough*

IMO weir was an anchor. She had no character development, and Torri Higginson wasn't the best actress. It seemed like alot of her scenes were akward moments with lots of pauses and silences that dragged on. I would cringe when i saw her character walk in, and that was my cue to go get a drink or to the washroom. (in canada new episodes air on movie central and the network is commercial free) I thought it was just starting to pick up in Seasons 4 and 5. I felt like Atlantis season 2 was an all time low in Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by quade_1 View Post
              *cough*infinity*/cough*

IMO weir was an anchor. She had no character development, and Torri Higginson wasn't the best actress. It seemed like alot of her scenes were akward moments with lots of pauses and silences that dragged on. I would cringe when i saw her character walk in, and that was my cue to go get a drink or to the washroom. (in canada new episodes air on movie central and the network is commercial free) I thought it was just starting to pick up in Seasons 4 and 5. I felt like Atlantis season 2 was an all time low in Stargate.
              It's all in the execution.

Say the Destiny blows up, and our heroic band of soldiers would be stranded on a planet at the darkest edge of the universe with nonly basic surplus military kit, such as tents and trangiers and such. From there they must move through the universe, encountering vastly superior and amazingly alien races with technology and culture way beyond our own, advancing in directions we could never conceive of. These soldiers would be searching for a means to get home, maybe the original Gate Seeding ship, or some other race willing to help. At the end of the day, they'd just be fighting to survive. No futuristic weaponry, no ship battles, just on foot exploration of the universe. Thus keeping the core things that made Stargate great, but throwing it into a new setting.

Bit like Infinity? Sure! But the only thing that made Infinity bad was the poor dialogue & stories, and lazy animation.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                It's all in the execution.

Say the Destiny blows up, and our heroic band of soldiers would be stranded on a planet at the darkest edge of the universe with nonly basic surplus military kit, such as tents and trangiers and such. From there they must move through the universe, encountering vastly superior and amazingly alien races with technology and culture way beyond our own, advancing in directions we could never conceive of. These soldiers would be searching for a means to get home, maybe the original Gate Seeding ship, or some other race willing to help. At the end of the day, they'd just be fighting to survive. No futuristic weaponry, no ship battles, just on foot exploration of the universe. Thus keeping the core things that made Stargate great, but throwing it into a new setting.

Bit like Infinity? Sure! But the only thing that made Infinity bad was the poor dialogue & stories, and lazy animation.
                and a 22minute format that alotted 10 mins for the story

Im with you on the space battles, a couple a year is good, but i don't want to feel like im watching a video game every week. I like the travelling on foot and "stepping through the gate" part of the show. The jumpers are used more in Atlantis than some of the cast.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                  I think that has more to do with the fact that they want to explore a much wider range of places. Another Atlantis style base wouldn't allow for that. They can explore loads of Galaxies with a ship, not just one or two. And the whole 'Stargate seeding the universe' thing, which is the whole point of the show, only really works with something that moves through space and between the different galaxies. Again, it just wouldn't work with another Atlantis style base.
                  the thing is, will they? will they do something unique and new????

or will we have yet more humans in medieval villages???

I look at all the funky aliens that Dr who comes up with, and Torchwood and wonder, dude, if the brits can come up wtih these cool aliens (that are, yes, people in rubber masks, just really good rubber masks) why can't our guys????

will we have REAL alien looking aliens? or just more humans in funky clothes?

10+ years of experience with these writers suggests to me that it'll jsut more same old, same old
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

I look at all the funky aliens that Dr who comes up with, and Torchwood and wonder, dude, if the brits can come up wtih these cool aliens (that are, yes, people in rubber masks, just really good rubber masks) why can't our guys????

10+ years of experience with these writers suggests to me that it'll jsut more same old, same old
                    They're not though are they? They're really pathetic, downright embarrassing rubber masks. Either that or really poor CGI. The reason Stargate doesn't do as many aliens is because there standards are so much higher, they can't get away with the same crap that Dr Who can.

Comment

oh i dunno, the Ood were pretty good, as were some of the others.

Not every alien needs to be heavily rubber masked, but every once in a while it'd be nice to see some alien looking aliens.

and please, please, please, please, burn down that frakking medieval village set!!!!!!! Donate it to the Vancouver Renaissance Festival, or something.

If they're gonna do everything in a studio, put the set designers to work and come up with something different. Heck, trek did it 30 years ago, they can do it now

sigpic

Comment

Since all you have, and i say you, because i am not watching the damn thing, is what you have been told by sci boos and Brad Wright etc,
                        a)You won't have a good old sci fi show, but a space opera.
                        b)You wont have a balanced team, but a team around the "well -known name". The hero and his minions.
                        c)They kept the medieval villagers even in another galaxy, why changing them now? What would they do of all those costumes?? "Franchise " lovers wont mind anyway.
                        Going to bed, i have plenty more reasons not to like it, even before it's on .... but i am sleepy.
                        Spoiler:
                        APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                        (YEAR 0 - 100)
                        "O thou Sun,
                        send me as far over the earth
                        as is my pleasure and thine,
                        and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                        but never hear anything of bad ones,
                        nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Ah well, you know what they say about us Brits...

Actually... even I don't know what they say about us, but I'm sure it's something SWELL.

You have a good point though. Considering that Doctor Who is created by a television network sponsored by the government, which, though I don't know for sure, will ASSUME it has less money than a great big company like MGM which gets money from lots of places, and not just dvd sales and TV licence fees... it does boggle the mind.

I suppose part of it is that Doctor Who only runs for 13 episodes, but then we have Torchwood as well, and if you put the two together then you pretty much have just over a full SG series.

I think you're right, it comes down to creative writing. The first two seasons of New Who only involved Planet Earth really, with one exception, but that's NO excuse, because TPTB SG use the SAME DAMN FOREST every episode.

Some of the aliens in Doctor Who are awful, such as the Slitheen, but others, such as "the beast" or even the Trees, are amazing, and all they require is innovative writing.

You know, SG1 USED to do this kind of thing, there were the Spirits and the Re'tu. So why on earth have they stopped.

Serious question, when was the last time we DID see an alien race other than the Wraith or the goa'uld? (ascended beings don't count).

So yea, basically Sky, I concur.

Thankfully, I hear they're getting rid of the village set now.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

oh i dunno, the Ood were pretty good, as were some of the others.

Not every alien needs to be heavily rubber masked, but every once in a while it'd be nice to see some alien looking aliens.

and please, please, please, please, burn down that frakking medieval village set!!!!!!! Donate it to the Vancouver Renaissance Festival, or something.

If they're gonna do everything in a studio, put the set designers to work and come up with something different. Heck, trek did it 30 years ago, they can do it now
                            7. Do you know yet which of the standing sets will need to be dismantled to make room for Universe, or will the studio space expand?

For now, we’ll be holding onto Stage 5 (our SG-1 standing set) and Stage 6 (our Atlantis standing set). We’ll probably move the Daedalus and hive sets over to a smaller stage and end the village’s glorious run.
                            http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1604

Comment

other than the asgard - which they've killed off (no spoilers please), when was the last time we had an alien race that wasnt' just dressed up humans? (and by dressed up i mean costumes only, not prosthetics)

the main example that comes to my mind is Space Race, and i can't recall others off the top of my head really prior to that beyond the Unas and the foothold aliens

It doesn't have to be every episode, but...hey, these are ALIEN planets, and while the 'the goa'uld terraformed all their planets to facilitate the human slaves' excuse worked for most of the show...for a while they did drop some really unique ones in. Like the yellow sand planet in season one (filmed in a giant pile of sulpher in vancouver bay), or the tons of purple flowers in FIAD, dream or not.

Not every planet needs to be fantastical, but toss in a couple every once in a while, just to liven things up.

but 'livening things up' seems to take second or third place to 'convenient and easy'

sigpic

Comment

I thought the Daedalus Variations aliens were pretty alien, and hopefully there will be aliens under those suits in First Contact/The Lost Tribe.

And hooray for the end of the village set!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X