X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
    From the summary of The Ark Of Truth

http://www.gateworld.net/movies/02.shtml

Millions of years ago, beneath a mountain plateau on a planet in a distant galaxy, a group of Alterans debate how to prevent a war with their fellow Alterans -- the fanatical Ori.

The Alterans who left their home world eventually became known as the Ancients.

From the Omnipedia -

http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Ori

The Ori were once the same civilization as the Alterans, but (for want of a better term) believed in religion, where their brothers relied more heavily on science. A gap was eventually bridged between the cultures. In consequence the other Alterans left for the Milky Way Galaxy(to later be known as the Ancients).

Two different philosophies and two different cultures but that doesn't make them different species. Real life humans have hundreds of different philosophies and cultures even though we are all the same species.
    They were the same species, but that's as far as their similarities go. Like how, the Taelons and Jaridians (And let's imagine season 5 of EFC never happened) were once the same species but due to evolution (albeit forced) they evolved differently. Their similarities could be compared to a glock or 9mm handgun (aka 'NINA') to a desert eagle or .357; sure they're both guns, have bullets, is used for protection or aggression, but that's as far as they'd go similarity wise, since their difference is in caliber and overall performance.

So the Ori's way of doing things would be evolving some one else and letting them take care of business, where as, the Ancients way of doing things may be an individual Ancient becoming what Merklin (Merlin) was and stirring up the pot that way. So it wouldn't be essentially the exact same enemy since their methodology would be different, take Apophis and Anubis for example; they're both goa'uld, but they couldn't be considered as a similar type of enemy, because Anubis wanted to become a literal god, where as Apophis wanted power and to be worshiped and adored, and to have more territory. Even further, due to circumstances, they were physiologically different, how much more so for the Ori who was always the genius loci in the form of ignis fatuus and Ancients who resembled puffs of white light.

Comment

I want to see neither the Ancients nor the Ori since they are not truly alien.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
        I want to see neither the Ancients nor the Ori since they are not truly alien.
        I would disagree since the term alien means anyone who isn't from Earth
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          I would disagree since the term alien means anyone who isn't from Earth
          Not only that but they are *really* alien if you know what I mean. Basically they are aliens living in another plane of existence. They have transcended their physical body. When they are not transcended tho they do feel like future human (even if they are really from an advanced past). Their culture seems similar to ours ( a bit less rugged and more peaceful).
          Last edited by Commander Zelix; 20 February 2010, 09:15 AM.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post
            If they are the same race, why can one use people as batteries and the other doesn't?
            Different ideologies, just like how we have them too.

Why is it that if you destroy the Oris power supply they "die", but the ancients live just fine without drawing power from anybody?
            I don't think you're remembering properly.

The Ori died when we sent the Sangraal to their galaxies, basically cancelling them out. Adria was weakened when her followers got brainwashed by the Ark of Truth, and to this day she's fighting an endless fight with Morgan Le Fey.

Why do Ori never appear as a singular being, but rather as a "force"/flood or collective, while the Ancients regularly appear as distinct beings with names? (the Priors don't count they were just made "better" humans)
            A single Ori possessed the Doci in "Origin".

Why do the Ori seem to not have any distinct personality(ies)? (that might be the writers fault)
            See above, sorta. It's true we have not met any single Ori up close and personal, but like you said, that's probably more of a missed opportunity on the part of TPTB than a rule.

Why don't we never see the Ori physically intervene, while certainly capable, AND more powerful than the Ancients?
            Well, they can turn people into Priors. After that, they don't really need to do much else.

Its been said that the Ori created the second generation humans to worship them and used them to ascend, while the Ancients ascended "naturally", isn't that kinda like different evolution, forced evolution.
            Again, you're remembering wrong. The Ori created their batch of humans after they ascended.

Comment

*pops back into thread*
              Now having played Mass Effect, I can say that my favourite aliens are the Quarians.
              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

I prefer the aliens to be non human looking. I mean that was the whole original scifi concept, weird, unimaginable, alien, something that was out theer but unfathomable
                I would prefer if they tried to keep the aliens more abstract like that gaseous cloud of sand, other examples of weird aliens might be “Crystalline Entity” from Star Trek TNG, the Vorlons in Babylon-5, the Star-Jellies in TNG, the Thing (a shapeshifting blob of weirdness) or the Bacteria/Shapeless ooze in the movie Evolution. How about revisit an old ep that referred to Furlings or Grace and make these unknown people into Abstract beings

Comment

Actually, I don't want actual aliens on the show. It's not worth the risk. They should stick with using special effects.
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                    Actually, I don't want actual aliens on the show. It's not worth the risk. They should stick with using special effects.
                    You'll never know what you'll catch.

Comment

There are aliens...just watch the first episode in April.

Comment

I agree, I mean the catering would be a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                          I agree, I mean the catering would be a nightmare.
                          Remember, don't eat the nuts in the red bowls. They're for Turians and Quarians only

Comment

Remember, don't eat the nuts in the red bowls. They're for Turians and Quarians only
                            Or you’ll go into anaphylactic shock, I know . And what about the Krogans, what do you feed them!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                              Or you’ll go into anaphylactic shock, I know . And what about the Krogans, what do you feed them!
                              Not liquefied Turians, that's for sure. [edit] Admittedly, that was six or seven centuries ago.

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000 View Post
                                There are aliens...just watch the first episode in April.
                                But are they real aliens?

Comment

Working...
                                X