Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else hope they play up the military angle?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
    I've never thought of Sam as being a stereotypical 'by the book' military type. I've always seen her as adaptable, competent, able to keep her head in a crisis and good in combat when she needs to fight.

I think O'Neill is the best human character they've ever had in both series. He's wonderfully eccentric, has a dry wit etc. etc. but he's a first class soldier who knows that a book written for military operations on Earth isn't always useful for dealing with the unknown on alien planets.

I also like Hammond and Landry. Both of them were aware that what the politicians wanted often tended to be unrealistic because they had no experience of conditions 'out there', They took the approach of "We've been ordered to do this by the book but if you can find a way around it I'll look the other way while you get on with it."

I like Daniel too. Teal'c, for me, is the best alien character in both series. He's a warrior who can also be a politician when required. He did his best to blend in with Earth culture because he accepted that if he was going to live on Earth he'd have to do things their way. He never stopped being a Jaffa, though, as 'Talion' pointed out. It looked like he'd snapped and gone on the rampage but the end conversation with Bra'tac revealed that what he did was an honourable course of action according to the Jaffa culture. (Bra'tac is another of my favourite characters. He's a warrior who has learned wisdom through age and experience.)

I can't stand Sheppard and would rather have a Mitchell type on Atlantis.

I can accept McKay's behaviour and personality because he's a civilian. I'd have screamed if Sam had been like that because she's an Air Force officer as well as a scientist.

Sorry, but I've always seen Ronon's main role on the show as being the 'the mean, moody and hot guy with a big gun'. I thought the best bits of 'Sateda' were the scenes revealing some of Ronon's past. For me, the rest of it was just an excuse for him to look mean, moody and hot as he disposed of supposedly hard to kill Wraith with his big gun. If I was meant to be impressed by male strength and power I was definitely impressed by the Wraith hive leader even though he wasn't hot because I was thinking "Wow - he's awesome".

I like Teyla. She's a warrior with intelligence and diplomatic skills. I've always seen her as ending up like a female version of Brat'ac in around 30 or so years time.

If I was going to pick a group of warriors I'd go for people like Teyla, Teal'c and Bra'tac A calm warrior is likely to be good at tactics and strategy. Berserker types are useful if you need 'shock troops' but a bit of a liability the rest of the time. The only kind of berserker I'd want is a warrior who had learned a technique for working himself/herself into a battle frenzy so this state was optional, not automatic.

I've always liked Woolsey. As I'm in the UK I only got to see 'The Seed' last night. and I was very impressed with the way he handled things.

Give me characters with emotions who are capable of considering such things as "I know I want to punch this guy in the face but would it be the most constructive thing to do right now?"

Stubborn as in the following definition? -

refusing to move or change one's opinion; obstinate

This, to me, conjures up the worst kind of 'by the book' military type. Refusing to give up is one thing but refusing to listen to reason or advice is another.

I certainly wouldn't want characters who never made mistakes but there's a limit to how much stupidity I can take. See previous criticisms of Sheppard in this topic.

I'd expect characters to be faced with ethically challenging situations in a series which is supposed to have some drama in it. Life isn't just black and white - there are many shades of grey in between.

Neither do I.

Give me competent soldiers who have served in SGC teams for a few years. They regard 'the book' as offering useful guidelines for many situations but when it comes to alien races and conditions on alien plants they are capable of making it up as they go along if neccessary.
    For the record, by the book does not necessarily mean obstinate. Military officers are encouraged to think outside of the box and be adaptable.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Looks like I'm gonna be the voice of dissent here. I feel so...endangered.

I'll be blunt. I like the Atlantis characters more than the SG1 characters. I really dislike "by-the-book" military people. Sam Carter, the most by-the-book character there is, is my least favorite SG1 character. O'Neill, IMHO, didn't hit his prime until about Season 2 or 3, when the humor started coming in full swing, and even now, when he's "wacky Jack", I still love the character. Daniel and Teal'c are great characters as well. I LOVE Sheppard's character, as well as McKay and Ronon. Teyla not so much, and I think it's because she's too...good, calm and nice. Woolsey's beyond awesome though. Don't know how that worked out.

Long story short, give me flawed humans instead of perfect soldiers. Make them do emotionally-driven, stupid, stubborn, even ethically-challenged things so I can better relate to them. I really don't care about regs and regulations; give me some interesting characters instead. You want military officers? I don't want the shiny-buttoned, perfect collar...line, buzz cut that you can set a watch to, or whatever; give me the renegade, the unique, special "officers" like Sheppard, someone who aren't cookie cutter soldier.

I'm as civilian as they come, so I have no interest watching a bunch of stiff-shirts reciting the...whatever it is that military people have to recite. That's boring to me, and I can't relate to them whatsoever.
      fine, then lets have the cast from "Full Metal Jacket" to be the main characters in Stargate Universe

KEEP IT CLEAN
      Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
      Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        How about a UN Taskforce? International AND military.
        lolUN

Comment

Originally posted by Adrius View Post
          lolUN
          Productive...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

For the record, by the book does not necessarily mean obstinate. Military officers are encouraged to think outside of the box and be adaptable.
            Which is why I like O'Neill, Sam, Mitchell, Hammond and Landry. As I said in an earlier post the problem I had with Bates in 'Suspicion' is that he took it for granted that none of the Atlantis personnel had been got at. If he had done the sensible thing and confined the other team members, though, the Athosians wouldn't have felt insulted and left in a huff for the mainland. (Poor Bates - he was a victim of "We've got to lose the Athosians so we'll do it this way.") I liked him in 'Outcast'. He came across as highly competent in his job and he had sympathy for Ava at the end even though he was right about her being a security risk. I saw his objections to some of the suggestions as "I don't want to see her destroyed any more than you do but if you want me to go along with an alternative solution you've got to convince me that it's a safe course of action."

I'm now going back to an earlier post of yours.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
            Carter was just a military geek, you get them, NOBODY in the right mind walks into a briefing, says a one liner and then snaps out a "Captain Samantha Carter reporting SIR" with a salute. It's a cliched stereotype.
            I winced more at the way she went about telling O'Neill that she was as tough as any man. Still, I forgive them for that because it was the first episode of a new series. If she'd carried on doing it, though, I'd have soon started throwing things at the TV screen.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
            SG1 and SGA do have some prime examples of some good military personnel. Caldwell and Ellis. Both fantastic and accurate characters. Caldwell has a lot of personality, he's military, but also human, and you see his human side.
            I really like Caldwell particularly for how he came across in 'The Long Goodbye'. Ellis is no fool - he can recognise excuses disguised as technobabble but he's capable of accepting that the way he spoke to Rodney was out of order. He has a wonderful line in 'First Strike' -

ELLIS: We don’t need the history of your idea, Doctor. I’ll let that be a surprise when I read your autobiography. Just tell me the plan.

Both characters are capable of empathy. Caldwell understands that Weir is feeling rotten after the ugly events of 'Critical Mass' and Ellis can understand how she must be feeling after the military just turned up at took charge in 'First Strike'. He knows she doesn't like him and he doesn't like her either but he still respects her and that, to me, shows maturity.
            sigpic

Comment

The UN thing could work well. They could just stick with the 5 permanent member states: US, UK, Russia, China, and France like they did back in SG-1 Season 6: Disclosure. That way there would be a good mix of different cultures. There should be a slight emphasis on US & UK troops though purely to cut down on the number of bad Russian/Chinese/French accents.

Comment

Given the premise, I think any military 'control' is going to deteriorate pretty quickly. People are going to get pissed off with each other, and I think it will be only a matter of time before people stop caring about rank.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Given the premise, I think any military 'control' is going to deteriorate pretty quickly. People are going to get pissed off with each other, and I think it will be only a matter of time before people stop caring about rank.
                  This doesn't sound a good recipe for survival.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                    This doesn't sound a good recipe for survival.
                    Good recipe for entertainment though

Comment

Good recipe for entertainment though
                      One Starbuck in BSG is quite enough. I don't want an entire cast of crazy, aggressive mavericks in SGU.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't think they'd need to be, I think normal people in that situation would reject being told what to do after a while given their situation, especially when there probably aren't that many of them, not compared to the crew of the BSG anyway...

Comment

I don't think they'd need to be, I think normal people in that situation would reject being told what to do after a while given their situation, especially when there probably aren't that many of them, not compared to the crew of the BSG anyway...
                          Even if they can't stand each other they'll still need to have some system of organisation or they'll never get anything done.
                          sigpic

Comment

Going in a strong military group would be great. Since they are gonna be on their own with no Atlantis or Stargate command to keep in contact with they need to keep a strong military structure to make sure everyone is at their peak at all times. Obviously not TOO rigid or else the stress of the possibility of never going home would lead to a lot of dangerous personalities.
                            It feels good to be alive.
                            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

I think your point of view of what makes a by the book military officer is a little skewed.
                              And reading over yours and ciannwn's posts, I think you're right here. I guess I was just influence by the media stereotype and what have you. If by military you mean people like Jack, Hammond, Landry, Caldwell, Ellis, etc. then I'm all for it! Heck, our family's closest friend was a Major in the US Airforce, and he's probably the least "starchy shirt" guy I've ever known. I really should've thought this through.

Thanks guys! I approve of this thread.

And I loved Col. Dixon's team!

Comment

The following quote from Brad Wright makes me think there will be some civilians.

In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home.

Doesn't mean they still can't play up the military angle though. I hope the leader is military...that's for sure.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                                And I loved Col. Dixon's team!
                                Right on!!
                                sigpic
                                FOX Network

Comment

Working...
                                X