Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's "younger" than season 1 of SGA was, I'm not watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      WHAT suspense? This is Stargate. Main characters don't die. And if they do, they come back a season later.
      Good point.
      sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

There are things that I like and dislike. I like the fact that they are cut off from earth like atlantis was. I like the whole deeper, BSG like character interactions. The idea that they cannot stop the ship and may leave someone behind if they are not fast enough is a great idea for emotional and dramatic episodes and seeing a characters reaction to it would be cool. I dont see how people are comparing it to ST:Voyager. Its a ship that is lost, thats it!

What I dont like is the "Younger Vibe" (and thats coming froma 17 year old!) and the downplay of the mythos!

Comment

Ironically, aiming at a younger audience will probably mean the show will be more adult.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            Ironically, aiming at a younger audience will probably mean the show will be more adult.
            You're probably right if they're using "younger" to mean "more edgy" as opposed to SG-1 & SGA's supposedly "family friendly" vibe.
            They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
            Spoiler:
            Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by hokusman View Post

Someone on here called this, "Stargate: The OC"

HAHAHAH
              Subspace Energy Technology Thread
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Comment

From the moment the concept was announced, I wasn't sure.

It is certainly an interesting concept for several reasons:

The ship constantly being in motion adds a natural suspense to each episode (not getting left behind) and also provides a natural mechanism for renewing the show's enemies every few years.

There are some good dramatic possibilities within the ship. I can see the crew getting a bit narky at each other if they're stuck on the ship for long periods of time without going off-ship.

There are more but its late and other people have already said them.

The latest announcement has me both happy and concerned.

I'm glad that they seem to want to inject some BSG-esque drama in to the show. Imho, true gritty drama is the one thing that Stargate does lack, although this is something I didn't really notice until BSG came along and raised my personal drama bar.

I am a little concerned at the 'younger audience' statement, as are a number of people. I am possibly over-reacting (it wouldn't be unlike me!) but I just hope the effort to appeal to a younger audience doesn't restrict the dramatic efforts and doesn't mean they badly skip a scene where anything too gory happens, such as an arm getting chopped off.

Again, I am possibly confusing 'younger audience' with 'kindergarten audience'.

I eagerly await SGU and I'm sure that I will like it, whether or not I love it all depends on the show.

Comment

Its actually alot closer to lost in space than to voyager IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                    Again, I am possibly confusing 'younger audience' with 'kindergarten audience'.
                    Yeah it's entirely possible by saying "younger audience" they mean introducing a new generation, that is previously unfamiliar with Stargate and have been unable to properly tune in because they found the massive mythology confusing.

Thus by cutting off the ship from stargate command for the first few seasons, and focusing entirely on the crew on a single ship, going around planets; they will be able to slowly introduce the mythology into the show.

By younger, I am sincerely hoping they just mean lowering their demographics from people in their 40ies to people in their 20ies , without reverting to Enterprise theme songs.

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
                      Someone on here called this, "Stargate: The OC"

HAHAHAH
                      or stargate: laguna beach lol
                      yea i wonder how youbger they're willing to go, i'm 15 and understand the show and then some so i hope it's no younger than i am or else they might as well put the show on the disney channel

KEEP IT CLEAN
                      Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                      Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Perhaps the Stargate Universe team will discover Ancient medallions which, when an Ancient word is spoken, will cover their body with a protective armor of colorful spandex. Also, because they are so far from earth they will not have a way to replenish their ammunition. Therefore, they will have to fight the recurring villains using martial arts, instead.

Comment

TBH I think by younger audience they simply mean people who are not yet familiar with the show. The majority of SGA fans were also SG-1 fans, so they want to attract new fans who don't need to know the entire history of the show to enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                            The ship constantly being in motion adds a natural suspense to each episode (not getting left behind) and also provides a natural mechanism for renewing the show's enemies every few years.
                            Every galaxy will have to have at least one race with star ships or it will just be a case of the enemy of the week. The same goes for friends and allies.
                            sigpic

Comment

Sorry if this has been answered. Didn't know where to look.

Is stargate universe set on the seeding ship, or the follow up ship?

If its on the seeding ship, then won't they never come across humans? at best worlds inhabited by aliens. Humans spread through stargates yeah? The seeding ship is so they didn't have to go through ships. So will arrive at worlds with out humans, with out a gate.. duh..
                              Unless its the rubber ears, nose ridge humanoids like from star trek.

If they are on the follow up ship that was never launched, why is it on a unchangeable course? Seems pretty stupid. So just ignoring the how they couldn't hack it to change it like the plot of so many previous sg episodes.

If its just a follow up course mimicking the seeding ship, why build a ship to explore/check what happened if you can never stop to look around?
                              If its the follow up ship, surely they'd have an idea of where it's going next from it's computer so they could always jump ahead to meet it at a future stop? But we've been told if someone's left behind there are permanently left behind.
                              Makes sense if its the seeding ship. They have the time on the planet it takes to drop a stargate, people won't know the co-ordinates or what time to dial it so they make it.

If there are humans on the planets, then the gates must stretch between galaxies shouldn't they? Then shouldn't they be able to get home?

The more and more i think of the actually concept it doesn't make sense. I can't get my head around it.

Any clarifications?

Best i can think of, there must have been an initial colony that expanded through the gates. But then there's the problems of what ship are they on. The follow up ship with an unchangeable course is beyond silly. I would only buy that from a ship who's mission is to move to a new planet, do something, then move on. it's core programming at the basic level is a task that must be done above all else. Although the supporting humans is then silly.

Comment

This what I think is happening with Destiny.

The gate seeding ship was sent first and was automated which began deploying Stargates on various planets. The Destiny itself was launched already to follow the path of the seeding ship in order to encounter new civilizations in different galaxies and stuff. The Ancients were already on the ship when they Ascended leaving the ship trapped on its course.

The crew from the Earth gate onboard the travelling Destiny through the ninth chevron on the Stargate. Once on the ship, they find the Destiny locked on course for some reason and they can't alter it. Why I can't say, why can't they gate back, well it might be due to power requirements. I think the Ancients themselves might have been capable of altering the navigation computer on the ship and the crew from Earth can't for some reason.

Or perhaps the Destiny gets attacked in the premier and some alien race damages its navigation computer thus locking it in place.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Working...
                                X