This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
    When the Atlantis CGI people screwed-up and only put eight on there...

are u talking about the screenshots up there or just in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
      When the Atlantis CGI people screwed-up and only put eight on there...
      Lol, what episode was that? Kind of reminds me of when TNG screwed up and had the Enterprise firing phasers through the photon torpedo tubes. That was bad.
      That is just my two cents.

Comment

I'm kinda' interested in how they are going to explain the nine chevron dialing sequence in SGU.

My take on it:

In SG-1 it was established that a seven symbol/chevron sequence is needed to get to another world in this galaxy. The system dials a particular place in space, not any specific gate. The first six pegged the destination planet, and the seventh gives the originating planet.

Later in SG-1, and also for use in SGA, the eighth chevron was added to the sequence to represent a galaxy "area code". If memory serves, it comes last which has always kinda' bugged me. I would have thought the area code would come first, so that the system knows not to dial the local gate address of the first seven symbols which are input to the system. I also figured there should be an area code for both the destination and originating galaxies. (I don't recall there being some sort of hyphen or spacer in the dialing system.)

In SGU, the destination is a single ship (I'm assuming there will be a gate on the ship), which is moving through space, not just within a particular star system, not just within a particular galaxy, but it is actually moving to different galaxies. Access would be needed for maintenance or what-ever.

So, how will the SGU dialing sequence to Destiny work? Is there a specific address for the ship, with a change in the seventh and eighth symbols as needed? If this is the case, then why have a ninth chevron? You would be dialing a single, specific gate, not a general location. It seems a bit redundant to have a ninth, Destiny area code chevron. I suspect there will be some sort of "floating" gate address for Destiny. It seems to be more in keeping with the way things work.

I assume there will be the traditional six symbol sequence representing the "current" gate address of the planet which the ship is orbiting, and the seventh for the point of origin. The eighth is for the galaxy while the ninth represents the Destiny. The first six symbols would change with each new location Destiny seeds with a gate, with additional potential for a change in a galaxy chevron. The ninth, or Destiny chevron, directs traffic to the gate on the ship rather than to the planetary gate. This does not address the possibility of how does anyone get to the ship if it is in between gates and lends support to a ship specific gate address.

This gives folks two problems to deal with: power (as always); and having to figure gate addresses which are constantly being scrambled.

Or, they'll come up with something else...

regards,
        G.
        Go for Marty...

Comment

They could just dial to the Destiny's launch pad or something in another galaxy, which would then have a means of gating to Destiny...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
            Isn't Universe beginning with a two-hour episode, not a movie?
            same difference, Sg-1 and atlantis began with movies/two episodes. it could be said either way

KEEP IT CLEAN
            Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
            Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

I've been with this franchise from the beginning and while I'm not as much of a fan of SGA as I was of SG1, I'll give it a chance. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a cast of all mid-20's with angsty relationship issues.

I'd hate for Stargate to go the way of BSG or ST Voyager. But, I'll give it a chance.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

After thinking about it, I'm not that fussed about SGA getting cancelled, as there will be movies, anyway...

What if it is A 1 symbol address? you dont dial Chevron 1-8, just nine. Although it wouldn't be very dramatic" Chevron nine locked, god speed."

Comment

Working...
                X