Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like that they want to aim a younger audiance. I wish they had a different vision like : we want something that's more popular for everyone, including a younger audiance and a more mature one. Aiming at a wider audiance is always something good. That includes lots of entertainment and no non-sense plots. If they can provide these two elements, the show will be good, I'm pretty sure. I didn't liked the concept at first, but there's a lot of potential.

Comment

I understand what your saying...I hate it when something gets bashed before ppl try it. I think Universe has great potential to surpass SG-1 (by doing and adding to the drama that SG-1 never could accomplish) and Atlantis (because face it, Atlantis was a copycat spin-off that had the same structure and repeated story-lines as SG-1. Sure, not all of it was a copy-cat, and with Major Lorne they did a good job of switching up the formula). But face it, Universe is going to be Stargate on a grander scale -- and I bet more then anything, we will see characters come and go, we will have different bad guys possibly every season (because I doubt a bad guy will follow us) and since we can't control the ship's nav., it's like having a random Stargate Command Center that you don't know where it's going and possibly, don't know when it's leaving.

So do I think it is going to be better? Not necessarily, but it sure as hell has a great chance to be just as good as Atlantis/SG-1 -- or better. And I can't wait to see Atlantis in the movies... maybe a SG-1/Atlantis movie someday? Hmmm..cool!

Comment

"Stargate on a grander scale" Depends how you define Stargate really. Ships and space battles are not stargate to me.

Stargate is human exploration with present day technology.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

The biggest problem I have with Universe right now, is that it sounds like Stargate: Voyager.

Or even worse, it sounds like a live action version of Infinity. And we ALL know how that turned out.
          Last edited by Detox; 22 August 2008, 01:28 PM.
          These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
            Why even have "Unneeded Replacement" as an option if you're just going to be bizarrely hostile to anyone who believes that's what Universe is?
            I Meant to put it as a question to the forum fans (My Laptop is on Windows 2000 and the Question Mark Button is completely screwed). I stand up for the fact that the fans have not watched the show and are already judging it before it's aired on TV.

Though I am Defending it on the side of A New Stargate Show is good i'm also trying to see reasonable points of view of what could go wrong other than "It's A STAR TREK: VOYAGER Rip-off".
            It's also that some fans see it as a coincidence that they come up With SGU just after SGA has been cancelled yet the idea for SGU has been in Development since SG-1 Finished so it's just trying to find away to continue the saga in a way that not only will appeal to the "Younger Audience" but be loyal to what the fans shoul think of the Franchise.

I Did Not Mean for the Hostile Comment it's just the 3rd or 4th poster seemed to think that i was saying that Stargate Universe was Great and that Stargate Atlantis's Cancelation was even better.
            I Never meant it, I was peeved that Atlantis had been Cancelled as I WAtch them on The Internet (No SKY ONE In My Home) but was trying to make people see that the Arrival of Stargate Universe Should be Given a Chance to see if it's a Flop or not,
            as some people seem to forget that the same or something similar was said When ATLANTIS was Started in the same year as SG-1's 8th Season.
            sigpic

Comment

I Also agree with the post about the show being aimed at all age ranges as it is stargate - shouldn't the fans be rewarded somehow.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney M. Caboose View Post
                shouldn't the fans be rewarded somehow.
                Depends. Everyone seems to have a different view on this point. Here's mine...

I'd say that the new show owes little to existing fans, unless TPTB want to owe the fans. We have a reciprocal arrangement with TPTB: They give us a decent show, we watch it, we (indirectly) pay their wages, either party can cancel the arrangement at any time, but they are the ones who must put out (for want of a better term) first in order for the arrangement to work. At the point of delivery, we've done nothing for them, although they've put the hours in in advance.

If TPTB want to keep pleasing the existing crowd, great. If they want to please people they've yet to please as well or even instead, that's their call. My feeling is that 'should' doesn't come into it, it's TPTBs' call.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                  Depends. Everyone seems to have a different view on this point. Here's mine...

I'd say that the new show owes little to existing fans, unless TPTB want to owe the fans. We have a reciprocal arrangement with TPTB: They give us a decent show, we watch it, we (indirectly) pay their wages, either party can cancel the arrangement at any time, but they are the ones who must put out (for want of a better term) first in order for the arrangement to work. At the point of delivery, we've done nothing for them, although they've put the hours in in advance.

If TPTB want to keep pleasing the existing crowd, great. If they want to please people they've yet to please as well or even instead, that's their call. My feeling is that 'should' doesn't come into it, it's TPTBs' call.
                  Fairly Good Point Madeleine. Thanks for the other input about this being a good discussion forum too.

I Think that the show should also as someone else posted should have something to please fans old and new (eg. The Lead could be Kavan Smith who even though it hasn't been like "Starring Kavan Smith as Mjr. Elliot Lorne" done to Kool rock Music :-) He has Been in SG-1 and Atlantis so could be the Leader of the Universe Expedition.

But Thanks for giving good and bad points on the situation.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
                    But you're sort of ignoring the thread title in your actual post. "Unneeded Replacement."

Universe may be a good show. I'll probably at least watch the pilot, but there will be no Season 6 of Atlantis simply because of their wild urge to push Universe, and that bothers me.

So, no, I'm not happy that there's another show in production, because it's pushed the show I love out the door.
                    this is what is upsetting me about Universe. It's pusing Atlantis, my favorite tv show, to the side, and it's super upsetting.

and was is just me, or did Brad Wright sound overly giddy in the GW interview? It sounded like he was super excited that Atlantis was cancelled and that his new show Universe was going to be the center of attention. that's what disgusts me the most.
                    thanks to Pandora's_Box for the siggie!

Comment

*Warning
                      I Agree with the fact that Atlantis Cancellation and Universe's sudden Announcement is a bit suspect but also Brad Wright had stated that The Reason to Cancel Atlantis and do a few 2 Hour Stargate Movies was to produce the films whilst atlantis was Popular so there is a plus side

I Just Hope it dosn't promise much and Deliver Little like STARGATE: CONTINUUM, Don't Get Me Wrong it was a good Movie and the Space battles were superb,and i will buy it on DVD as i thoroughly enjoyed the Mind Boggoling time travel adventure part of it, but the story (Unlike The ARK Of TRUTH) was wrapped up in an anticlimactic way (Do Not Read Spoilers Unless You Have Seen Stargate Continuum or just don'tcare to watch it)

Spoiler:
                      The Return of JACK O'NEILL was underused, Ba'al's defeat was something Sam, Daniel & Mitchell had been spending the entire film coming up with a way to distract him or kill him,Long enough to change earths history, Only for Quetesh (Vala) to Kill Him in the Last 15/20 Minutes of the film and the end was too quick.

Please MGM if you do another film SG-1 or SGA please deliver the promises, rather than just expect to give us nuggets and dissapoint us in the actual films releases...
                      sigpic

Comment

UNNEEDED REPLACEMENT

I have to say I'm pissed right now because I was starting to love Atlantis like I love SG-1 and I was really looking forward to many more years of adventures with the Atlantis team.

Comment

Unwanted replacement

I've never had much love for Atlantis, but it deserved better than an unexpected end to make way for something new and unproven--and frankly, not very interesting-sounding.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Unneeded. Honestly, is there ANYTHING new about SGU?

on a ship- well, we've seen some pretty good ship coverage, and even ship-based eps in SG-1 and SGa, notably Grace, Unending, Intruder and The Daedalus Variations. Any entire season of it? will.get.old...fast.

stranded- SGA proved you couldn't do it forever.

new SG networks- done before, SGA. More galaxies possibly? done before too.

A new younger cast? I'd say SGA's cast was considerably younger (Ford, Teyla, Ronon).

Appealing to a new audience- Season 1 will be make or break. What if the new audience doesn't grab? SGA and SG-1 had a hard enough time trying to hold on to the demographics they already had.

Personally, I think a third series is a bit of a stretch.
                            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                              A new Stargate series shouldn't mean "Shut up and enjoy it! It's Stargate and we're lucky to be getting it!"

If the new show's quality takes a nose-dive, or it strays too far from what Stargate is, why whould we fans watch it? Why should we settle for crap when we're used to quality television?

Please kindly keep your own orders to yourself, and people will keep theirs to themselves.
                              Couldn't have said it better. "More Stargate" is not better then "No Stargate." I wouldn't be so frustrated with Stargate Universe's premises if the article hadn't went out of it's way to insult old fans by saying they were going to appeal to a new fanbase and simply scrap everything that made Stargate Stargate. It's practically like the article was saying they were simply going to make an entirely new show and abandon the existing fans. It's to bad sci-fi simply didn't just devlop a new show and a new franchise instead of messing with an existing one.
                              I wonder if Teal'c ever has a bad hair day?

Linky
                              Survey Safari

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCarter View Post
                                Couldn't have said it better. "More Stargate" is not better then "No Stargate." I wouldn't be so frustrated with Stargate Universe's premises if the article hadn't went out of it's way to insult old fans by saying they were going to appeal to a new fanbase and simply scrap everything that made Stargate Stargate.
                                Where did the article say that they're going to "scrap everything"? Humor, heroes from our present, exploration through Stargates... what else makes Stargate Stargate?

It lost mythology some time ago... also, the sense of reality when Prometheus then President Hayes appeared.

But to be honest, I'm kinda glad the so many people are negative about SGU. If it proves to be good, all of you will be pleasantly surprised, if not, well, then you 'll lose nothing. But I guess the majority hates losing SGA so they'll be a bit bound to hate SGU, however it turns out.

Me, I'm positive.

Welcome Continuation
                                sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

Working...
                                X