Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of who could/should be there depends upon the set-up for the series. Personally, I liked Adam Baldwin's "Col. Dixon" from SG:13. I also liked the Cameron Balinsky character. There seemed to be an interesting rapport between those two characters.

Having Dixon there could provide a lot of tension. On the one hand, he has the responsibilities of command, on the other he wants to get home as soon as possible to his growing family. Does he take a risk to get back home which might kill some or all, or does he provide for the safety of everyone and stay on the ship?

If the initial mission is supposed to be short, but turns into a "3 hour tour", then having Dixon in command could work. If they are going on a potential one-way mission (like it was in Atlantis), then it wouldn't make sense to have the character there. He wouldn't leave his family.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      Or hey, with this being TPTB you could always have Kavan playing lead in SGU as an entirely different and unrelated character.
      That's what I'm thinking too. With what we've gotten so far, an aloof commander who has to make the hard decisions because of the ship's nav programming, would be a great role for Lorne. I'd love to see Mr. Smith fill this role.

With Davis advising, of course.
      It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
      --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Adam Baldwin is busy with Chuck. He won't have time to do SGU.

Comment

Adam Baldwin is busy with Chuck. He won't have time to do SGU.
          Yeah, his role on Chuck could be an impediment. However, he has up to this point been in only 13 episodes over the two seasons (according to his IMDB listing). He might be persuaded to leave one show for another, one where he would likely be the lead.

I don't actually expect that he would be considered by the SGU's producers. I do think he would be able to do a good job. He is a recognized face (but not so big that he would overpower the show), and he is a damn fine actor. He can provide a sense of menace as well as some comic relief. This would appease those who miss O'Neill.

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

If they want a young and edgier crew they should have the teenage O'Neill lead the SGU from "Fragile Balance" lol
            Duet

"... because of Doctor Fumbles McStupid over here!"

Conversion
            "Enjoy the ride Colonel their making me walk."
            "You've got a splinter Rodney!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
              Yeah, his role on Chuck could be an impediment. However, he has up to this point been in only 13 episodes over the two seasons (according to his IMDB listing). He might be persuaded to leave one show for another, one where he would likely be the lead.
              So you think he should break contract from a hit primetime show where he plays a lead so that he can play a lead on a new and untested scifi show on a backwater network? Yeah, that's gonna happen. LMAO!

Anyway, this is about Kavan's potential and while I think he could probably play a lead, I still don't think it's likely to happen and I'm not sure I'd want him to play Background Support Guy again. If he's gonna stick with the same crew he should be allowed to move up in the ranks a bit. Otherwise... maybe we can stick him in another show somewhere. Caprica, maybe. He can play a Helo type who starts off fairly minor and then becomes central to the story.

Comment

So you think he should break contract from a hit primetime show where he plays a lead so that he can play a lead on a new and untested scifi show on a backwater network? Yeah, that's gonna happen. LMAO!
                Well, stranger things have happened in TV land. His character on Chuck is good, but it is not indispensable. He could be replaced. Further, he has done a significant amount of work in other projects in the same year(s) as Chuck was shooting.

I suspect he could get out of Chuck (if he really wanted it), and even if he didn't, a lot of it would depend upon just how much he was going to be in the upcoming full season of that show. If he's only in a portion of the episodes, or has only a small part to play, then he could do other projects. It could come down to shooting schedules.

Anyhoo, re: Major Lorne, I don't believe he will be involved in SGU. He is too connected to the previous shows in the franchise. There's not a lot of new ground for the character to develop. I suspect the producers want to go with a completely new group.

regards,
                G.
                Go for Marty...

Comment

Adam has never struck me as an idiot before and he'd have to be in order to do what you're suggesting.

As for SGU, traditionally there's at least one crossover character in order to tie a new show into the old ones. Weir and McKay crossed over from SG-1 (and Lorne, too, technically) and I'd say there's a good chance of SGU having a crossover character or two, too; I'm just not convinced it'll be Lorne.

Comment

Adam has never struck me as an idiot before and he'd have to be in order to do what you're suggesting.

Well, what I'm suggesting is that he could potentially work on more than one project at a time, or at least in the same calender year (depending on shooting schedules and the like). If he thought he could get a better deal from SGU (whether in money, fame or some sort of professional satisfaction) he would be tempted to go with it.

This wouldn't make him an "idiot". It would mean he's just keeping his options open. How long is Chuck going to last? Maybe this upcoming year will be its last. Maybe it will be canceled half way through the season. Reviews I've seen on the show are variable. Market share will decide.

And he was on a great little show called, "Firefly". How did that turn out?

regards,
                    G.

PS - I do like the Lorne character, but I don't see him moving to the new show. It means he will be unavailable for anything upcoming in the direct to DVD flicks being planned.
                    Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                      PS - I do like the Lorne character, but I don't see him moving to the new show. It means he will be unavailable for anything upcoming in the direct to DVD flicks being planned.
                      To be honest I'd rather see him in Universe where he could potentially have a greater role. I think Kavan Smith's talent is wasted on Atlantis, and I believe he has enough presence to be a main cast member of a show.

Comment

He's second military on Atlantis, now why would Lorne go back to Earth, and then take on a mission that's potential suicide, cos honestly, if they're not expecting that the ship can't turn back...

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
                          He's second military on Atlantis, now why would Lorne go back to Earth, and then take on a mission that's potential suicide, cos honestly, if they're not expecting that the ship can't turn back...
                          For the Adventure! And aren't they leaving from Atlantis, because that gate has the mystery 9th Chevron?
                          I'm a 60%er | Sigs are made by me and othersThe Lorne Identity - A Lorne fanfiction collection community.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                            I dunno... we may get Billie Piper.
                            oh god yes!!! that would save the show for me *drools over billie piper
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt Do'Urden View Post
                              oh god yes!!! that would save the show for me *drools over billie piper
                              Why not throw in Carmen Electra while you're at it
                              Last edited by melfan; 25 August 2008, 09:27 AM.
                              I'm a 60%er | Sigs are made by me and othersThe Lorne Identity - A Lorne fanfiction collection community.

Comment

Well, she definitely is known...

Comment

Working...
                                X