This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

set it present day instead of the future
    I don't think the future is what's intended. Not from what I've read, anyway.
    leave them out their with some surplus tents, couple of vehicles and their sleeping bags. Make a modern day military team have to survive in the outer recesses of the universe, trying to get back.
    Hmmm. Military 'Sliders' hopping from planet to planet hoping that the next hop takes them home? Not seeing that happening anytime soon. And that would take it from a new show about discovery and exploration to a desperate run for survival. Where would they put all the cool artifacts that I expect them to find? Besides, the sheer number of planets you'd have to go to to get anywhere near the Milky Way would be logistically impossible.
    Last edited by amconway; 21 August 2008, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      SGA movies, SG-1 movies, and a brand new series. I think the Franchise is stronger than ever. Don't you?
      The franchise has never been in trouble. Just the aging tv series...both sga and sg-1. The franchise also includes games, toys, conventions...a cult following of scary proportions.

Originally posted by Cheystar View Post
      That's sad that the fans are divided between SG-1 and SGA. Personally, I love both of them and always have. I'm hoping the next one is good too.
      yep, we are our own worst enemy.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      I think it's a good thing, a bit of healthy competition doesn't hurt, better than having everyone prefer SG-1 and have Atlantis always second best or vice versa IMO.
      competition is one things but divided fandom is another. When fans start harping on each other how their opinion is right and the opposing one is wrong then it becomes a verbal blood bath.

which is sad becuase an oposing opinion shouldn't be seen as an enemy of the state but merely a different state of mind.

I always have and always will prefer season 1-8 of sg-1 over all else but that doesn't make me less of a fan of stargate than someone who prefers newer seasons of either show.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
        I don't think the future is what's intended. Not from what I've read, anyway.

Hmmm. Military 'Sliders' hopping from planet to planet hoping that the next hop takes them home? Not seeing that happening anytime soon. And that would take it from a new show about discovery and exploration to a desperate run for survival. Where would they put all the cool artifacts that I expect them to find? Besides, the sheer number of planets you'd have to go to to get anywhere near the Milky Way would be logistically impossible.
        No but Stargate Infity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Infinity was set in the future, which is what I was comparing it to. I'm not so much suggesting that they hope the next gate will get them home, but they'll be exploring in ORDER to find a way to get home. You could either have their tents and such be a permanent "alpha site" style base, or they could take it with them. I think the only way of making it feel present day, is to take present day out there with them without any of the new fleet luxuries. So let's take bog standard military equipment and throw a squad of Marines and scientists into a very hostile and strange universe.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

i just hope they bring in some new writing blood for universe.
          The current writters are drained and need to be replaced

Comment

I'm one of those, that loved when Beau Bridges and Ben Browder came on the show, it seemed to breathe new life into SG-1. I hated seeing RDA behind a desk, as much as I love his character and his humor. I wanted to see him off world with the gang. I liked Ben and Beau, and Claudia as additions, they all melded with the cast wonderfully.

As for Atlantis, I liked Weir, I liked Carter (although I thought they wasted her until Search and Rescue), and I was not prepared to like Woolsey, but I do. I do admit I like Carson as the doctor, but that doesn't mean I don't like Keller.

I think competition is fine and everyone's opinion should be respected. Each one was so different, that I don't really compare them. I guess I liked the SG-1 characters more, cause they were with us for 10 yrs. But Atlantis grew on me too.

I wanted season 11 of SG-1, and season 6 of Atlantis, but it wasn't to be. So I'll look forward to the movies and the next show.
            sigpic

Comment

The stargate franchise is still going strong, in spite of Atlantis's cancellation. I loved SG-1 and I loved Atlantis. I just hope Universe will keep the franchise alive and interesting. And that both shows continue to make movies.

I would just feel a lot better if I knew for sure that there would be a 3rd show.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                I think MGM just paved the way for even more stargate.

SGU will probably be launching soon. Movies are in the works and lord knows what else.
                Yay! Green for the positivity!

SGA movies, SG-1 movies, and a brand new series. I think the Franchise is stronger than ever. Don't you?
                Yes, we're just heading into another chapter. Kinda like Carter had to move on to another... job.

Originally posted by I'mWithGenius View Post
                The stargate franchise is still going strong, in spite of Atlantis's cancellation. I loved SG-1 and I loved Atlantis. I just hope Universe will keep the franchise alive and interesting. And that both shows continue to make movies.
                Agreed!

Sometimes life doesn't roll the way everyone would like, but it'll all work out. Over the course of the day, I'm strangely coming to think this won't be so bad.

God, I'm such a pollyanna ~ I think I'm going to vomit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                  The franchise has never been in trouble. Just the aging tv series...both sga and sg-1. The franchise also includes games, toys, conventions...a cult following of scary proportions.

For the record I was not playing with my SG action figures again.

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
                  Yay! Green for the positivity!

Yes, we're just heading into another chapter. Kinda like Carter had to move on to another... job.

Stagate is growing hence, expanding. I really wanted one more season of SGA. But a few movies may be enough to satisfy the hungry beast within.
                  sigpic

Comment

No but Stargate Infity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Infinity was set in the future, which is what I was comparing it to. I'm not so much suggesting that they hope the next gate will get them home, but they'll be exploring in ORDER to find a way to get home. You could either have their tents and such be a permanent "alpha site" style base, or they could take it with them. I think the only way of making it feel present day, is to take present day out there with them without any of the new fleet luxuries. So let's take bog standard military equipment and throw a squad of Marines and scientists into a very hostile and strange universe.
                    I get where you're going with that, and it's a well thought out idea. It's a little harsher than I'd like to see, though. I'd like to see capabilities similar to the first days of the SGC, as opposed to the strong position of the later days of SG-1 and current SGA, but not quite as desperate of straits as being completely stranded in a new universe.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                      I get where you're going with that, and it's a well thought out idea. It's a little harsher than I'd like to see, though. I'd like to see capabilities similar to the first days of the SGC, as opposed to the strong position of the later days of SG-1 and current SGA, but not quite as desperate of straits as being completely stranded in a new universe.
                      I think both would be good, but I'm glad you liked. My only issue, is that whilst I have enjoyed Atlantis, is I don't want to see a new team on what in essence is a smaller version of Atlantis. An Ancient ship with Ancient tech and Ancient weapons etc etc etc. Out of curiousity, what technique would you use to ensure that they remained at Season 1 level of SG1 tech and not SGA?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

» fanfiction.

Comment

I think the franchise will continue. They pretty much said that they wanted to do at least one movie. And maybe we will get that other SG show, Universe or whatever. But what I still don't get is that they pretty much said "It's a good ratings performer, and even better on DVR, but we're pulling it anyway" So what if Eureka is doing better than it? Is it a crime to have SEVERAL hit shows on your network? That would be like CBS dropping one of the CSI's because it didn't do as good as one of the other 3!

If they had said "it's the money" or "we just don't feel SGA is the kinda show we want to have on our network anymore" or "the Airforce says we are revealing too much information about the real Stargate program, and the Goa'uld that are in control of the network don't want to be deported"

I saw this when Cartoon Network cancelled Justice League Unlimited: Marvel had some good numbers with their own in house animated movies (Avengers, Iron Man, etc.), and the people that made the show said "Hey wait! We can make DVD movies and skip the whole TV show thing!" They made like one or two since then.

I think someone over at Sci-Fi thinks that since AoT and Continum did pretty well, that we would rather have DVD movies instead of a show.

So, for you guys keeping score. SG over with, SGA has less than 10 shows left. Dr Who is on hiatus for a while, and BSG isn't comeing back till next year(?). So, we have an untested show (Sanctuary) as the only original show for Friday. They better not think they can stick Lost on Friday and get numbers any higher than the worst episode of ANY of the above shows!

Ok, i got a little ranty there. Sorry if I offended anyone and appologies to the OP for derailing a bit. I just can't believe Sci-fi KEEPS DOING THIS TO US!!!!! And I had high hopes for this season and next (sigh) season too!

Comment

I think both would be good, but I'm glad you liked. My only issue, is that whilst I have enjoyed Atlantis, is I don't want to see a new team on what in essence is a smaller version of Atlantis. An Ancient ship with Ancient tech and Ancient weapons etc etc etc. Out of curiousity, what technique would you use to ensure that they remained at Season 1 level of SG1 tech and not SGA?
                            I agree with you about not wanting a mini-Atlantis. Hmmm. That's a good question. I'll have to think about it before I can give a really good answer, but off the top of my head, I'd say that the ship if from a much earlier time than the city ( I don't know if that works. The city has been around for a while.), and there are major differences in both the appearance of the ship, and the tech. I'd make it not work with the gene, so they have to actually learn to make it work. I would say that the Ancient language evolved over time and they can't read much of what they find, and have to learn that. I don't know if any of that would work. As I say, it's off the top of my head and probably full of holes. In effect, I would severely limit the Ancient tech that they are capable of using - and not have it be about a ZPM!

Comment

Why are they so hopped up about making a new show which honestly doesn't sound like something plausible to cancel an existing great show?

Vala,

Comment

yes
                                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Working...
                                X