Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds pretty interesting There never seem to be many good trailers/advertising on the tv over here
    sigpic

Comment

With regards to the news about Alaina guesting on Smallville again (in the announcement only thread), I feel compelled to say "yay, moar Black Canary" which is funny since when the SGU break started I hadn't seen any Smallville at all. That reminds me, I've been an episode and a half behind for the past few weeks. Maybe I'll get around to doing something about that before SGU returns.

[edit] Oooh, I just noticed that I've been promoted to Lt. Col. Nifty.
      Last edited by Eternal Density; 25 March 2010, 05:28 PM. Reason: I'm not one for speeches but since I'm here I'd like to offer my thanks to all the litt-ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

ITA. My family used to watch SG1 & SGA together, popcorn and all.....I was mortified when sat to watch the first episode of SGU. So, it's no longer a family show we can watch. I'm just not comfortable watching sex scenes with my two teenaged sons, nope, not going to happen. I understand TPTB wanting to do something different. What I don't agree with is calling the show Stargate in an attempt to ride off the coat tails of the established fanbase of SG1 and SGA. The show should have been called "Destiny". But they probably thought that if the show was named without referencing "Stargate" they wouldn't have pulled in the 2 mill viewers it did for the pilot. I agree with everyone who says that this isn't SG1 or SGA and therefore it shouldn't be compared with it; that it is its own show. I think the point of many unhappy fans is given that it isn't Stargate we shouldn't have been mislead to believe it was by the fact of the Stargate name being used in the title. I mean honestly, the ppl on that ship have no need of a Stargate, they could use beaming tech for goodness sake. The only reason there's a Stargate is to give some reference to the established fans, throwing them a "bone" if you will. Even BSG came up with a new name for their new show Caprica. They didn't call it: BSG, the Caprica years. I actually started watching Caprica but at first I had no idea it was about BSG b/c I never watched that show...but I ramble. Just wanted to say that I agree.

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus View Post
        There are quite a few problems with the series so far and I honestly have some trouble getting past them.
        Here is what I have found to be problematic for the story so far:

1. Carter was aboard the Gen. Hammond which has Asgard shields and beam weapons, why did she not take out the three motherships instead of just sitting there and taking a beating while they attacked the planet, I mean if they could take out Ori ships then why sit there and not even fire a shot?

2. I get that almost all the people on Destiny are not supposed to be there but with the communication stones they could easily get people like Carter and McKay on the ship to aid in repairs and the creation of technologies (like Asgard beam tech) that would make survival much easier and why did we not see Dr. Lee looking at anything or the such when Rush reported in the first time?

3. In the finale of SGA Radek explained to Woolsey that the wormhole drive would allow almost instantaneous travel anywhere in the universe so why have they not sent Atlantis as they have the complete and total course for Destiny so finding them would not be a problem, especially with the communication stones giving them the means to stop and course check if the drive doesn't get them there in one jump?

4. With all the back and forth going on with the military command of Destiny why has O'Neill not used the stones to evaluate the situation himself?

5. Is it just me or are all of the military personnel on Destiny a complete contradiction to the military we have seen through out the stargate franchise? (for some reason most of the main characters seem to be sex addicts)

6. In the premier there were crates left on the ship by the Ancients, Greer told everyone to leave them alone and focus on the equipment they had brought with them but now those crates are missing and not even a mention as to what happened with them or what was in them, you would think that the Ancients (knowing how long the ship would be out there without them aboard) would have stocked those crates with immediate needs materials for their first arrival (like air filtration elements to get the life support running when they arrived).

7. It has been said a few times on the show that the shields being used by Destiny over the hull breaches are not very effective at keeping the air in, we have knowledge and training on both shield tech from the Asgard as well as the Ancients (specifically the shield generators of Atlantis which is used to hold full atmosphere during space flight) and not once have they discussed trying to increase the shield efficiency.

8. Young leaving Rush behind is about the dumbest thing they could have done, I know many military personnel and I have never met even one that would do such a thing, especially when it is well known that Rush is the most likely to be able to aid in repairs all over the ship, I mean the character has been explained as being the smartest one there except for Eli whom has no training on this kind of tech and Young doing that just proves yet again that he is really not a leader at all and thinks of his personal grudges before the people he is supposed to be helping.

9. I do not understand why all these people using the stones are getting out of the base, it makes no sense at all that are let out in public and allowed to drink, party and have sex with others while occupying the body of another person, I cannot see the SGC (or more specifically O'Neill) letting that kind of stuff take place. However, I do understand letting them talk with loved ones that have clearance but that no longer seems to be an issue, it seems now that if you are working with the SGC and trouble hits you get to tell everyone you care about what is happening.

I understand (although I do not agree with it at all) that Rob, Brad, Carl and Martin all wanted to leech off of the success of BSG but this is getting ridiculous.
        They might as well try to hire the production staff from BSG and Caprica.
        I do not like that it seems like they are trying to get someone to have sex in almost every episode.
        I used to watch SG-1 and SGA with my kids and now that just isn't all that acceptable.

Anyway, let the ripping of my opinions start as I know there are probably a lot of people that will fight me tooth and nail over this, lol.
        sigpic

Comment

Stargate was never a children or family show.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
            Stargate was never a children or family show.
            yes it has.
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
              yes it has.
              You realise in the context of my post, yours makes no sense?

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                You realise in the context of my post, yours makes no sense?
                stargate's always been a family friendly show. sgu is just more mature.

Comment

stargate's always been a family friendly show. sgu is just more mature.
                  I disagree. I don't think its aim was to be family friendly or child friendly. I don't think Sheppard, for instance, shooting a wraith prisoner or persuading a grieving father to feed himself to a wraith was family friendly. I don't think Jack, deliberately shutting the iris on someone trying to escape their world just because he didn't like that person, was family friendly. I also don't think SGU is more mature, I think it has a different focus.

Comment

yes it was.
                    And now your post makes more sense for the other readers. Just watch out there, PA.

I personally don't really think Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis were family shows, but my views have been so warped and scoped by age, cynicism and what I watched as a young lad being markedly different than what others watched... But I think Ellie might have a point or two.
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

While SG1 and Atlantis were never geared towards families with little kids its not a show that really needs to be censored from the kids. Sure thier were guns but no worse then the toy guns you see on children cartoons. And I think that is PA's point. It was watchable for kids while SGU definatly have more "older" scenarios
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                        And now your post makes more sense for the other readers. Just watch out there, PA.

o.
                        i didn't catch the misspelling thanks

Comment

There were three instances of rape in SG-1's first season. The fun and quirky style may have fooled the less observant parents into think it was a family show, but it really wasn't, or at least shouldn't have been considered as such. Not that I buy that the tone of SGU means that it isn't Stargate anyway, SG-1's tone is nothing like the original movie, yet I don't see people complaining they they've been mislead in that regard.
                          Last edited by KEK; 25 March 2010, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by charlene View Post
                            I understand TPTB wanting to do something different. What I don't agree with is calling the show Stargate in an attempt to ride off the coat tails of the established fanbase of SG1 and SGA. The show should have been called "Destiny". But they probably thought that if the show was named without referencing "Stargate" they wouldn't have pulled in the 2 mill viewers it did for the pilot. I agree with everyone who says that this isn't SG1 or SGA and therefore it shouldn't be compared with it; that it is its own show. I think the point of many unhappy fans is given that it isn't Stargate we shouldn't have been mislead to believe it was by the fact of the Stargate name being used in the title.
                            Stargate is whatever the writers say it is. It's their show. You weren't misled, but were simply under the false impression that Stargate will forever follow its story-telling formula and never ever evolve into something different.

The "point" of many unhappy fans is that...there is no point. There are always unhappy fans.

I can only assume that you paid no attention to any publicity surrounding the show leading up to the premiere, besides the fact that there is "Stargate" in its title, because everyone involved with the show was abundantly clear that this was Stargate done in a different style.

I mean honestly, the ppl on that ship have no need of a Stargate, they could use beaming tech for goodness sake. The only reason there's a Stargate is to give some reference to the established fans, throwing them a "bone" if you will.
                            What beaming tech?

Even BSG came up with a new name for their new show Caprica. They didn't call it: BSG, the Caprica years.
                            And it's doing wonders for its ratings, isn't it?

SG1 and SGA were family shows in the sense that most families these days don't give two ****s about violence and instead flips the **** out when an ankle is exposed by the scandulous female characters. What's a severed Wraith head compared to some grinding in a closet? Nothing, that's what. It's much more socially acceptable to decapitate someone than to make out with them.

Pro-tip: families love watching bugs burst out of someone's belly, spattering all around with blood.
                            Last edited by PG15; 25 March 2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              SG1 and SGA were family shows in the sense that most families these days don't give two ****s about violence and instead flips the **** out when an ankle is exposed by the scandulous female characters. What's a severed Wraith head compared to some grinding in a closet? Nothing, that's what. It's much more socially acceptable to decapitate someone than to make out with them.

Pro-tip: families love watching bugs burst out of someone's belly, spattering all around with blood.
                              *snickers* and gives the man some green.

Comment

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X