Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Antagonizing people for their beliefs is bad taste, but even that shouldn't be "off limits", not to mention a polite and respectful discussion. It being a sensitive subject is exactly why it should be talked about.

Things being "off limits" is directly in opposition to the concept of free speech, and is a grave disservice to people who may not hold these privileged beliefs.

As far as religion in SGU goes, I am completely fine with it as long as it's not made preachy (and this goes for the non-religious aspects as well).
    I'm all for a polite and respectful discussion, but is that even possible when it comes to a religious conversation? I think it's all but impossible.

I'm not talking about limiting the freedom of speech here, I'm talking about when knowing to hold that speech in.

Just because I can walk down the street right now and call someone an ugly name, does that mean I should?

My grandfather has been raised to be a Christan his whole life, I would never think to bring this topic up for debate around him. It's not something that should be done. Out of common respect for everyone else, it should be just left alone.

You can have all the freedoms in the world... but knowing when to hold your tongue is something that should come with those freedoms.

I would hope that the writers would know when to hold their pen, and question if they should really be writing this stuff.

I think if the writers were to mention Jesus has an ancient for example, then we would be moving into an area beyond T.V, where things start to get personal.

Curious though, what would you consider off limits?
    Last edited by Alan Wake; 23 July 2009, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
      I would hope that the writers would know when to hold their pen, and question if they should really be writing this stuff.

I think if the writers were to mention Jesus has an ancient for example, then we would be moving into an area beyond T.V, where things start to get personal.
      I'm confused. When did this stop being fiction?

When did people lose the ability change the channel or press the mute button?

Why do people have to censor themselves so that other people's delicate sensibilities aren't offended?
      sigpic

Comment

I couldn't disagree more. Antagonizing people for their beliefs is bad taste, but even that shouldn't be "off limits", not to mention a polite and respectful discussion. It being a sensitive subject is exactly why it should be talked about.

Things being "off limits" is directly in opposition to the concept of free speech, and is a grave disservice to people who may not hold these privileged beliefs.

As far as religion in SGU goes, I am completely fine with it as long as it's not made preachy (and this goes for the non-religious aspects as well).
        I said the very exact thing about homosexuality portrayed in Stargate. As long as it doesn't become 'preachy', I will be fine with it.

As a person of faith, I am fine with religion being explored in the characters as long as they don't overdo it. If they overdo it, it will only become unreal. It is perfectly realistic to see religion explored based on the situation the characters are in.

I agree with you. There needs to be a balanced and realistic approach to the show.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
        and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "preachy," all I care about is that it flows naturally with the character and/or scene. I think that's what you mean, though - that it doesn't feel out of place.

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
          I'm completely okay with that. I am comfortable enough with my beliefs that I don't mind having them challenged however disrespectfully. Plus, in my experience those people are few and far between. Most of the time, reasonable discussion is possible.
          I don't know about that part.
          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

I'm not talking about limiting the freedom of speech here, I'm talking about when knowing to hold that speech in.
            Which we'll fundamentally disagree is even necessary, of course

Just because I can walk down the street right now and call someone an ugly name, does that mean I should?
            Probably not, but this analogy assumes that all religious discussions are negative things. They don't have to be.

My grandfather has been raised to be a Christan his whole life, I would never think to bring this topic up for debate around him. It's not something that should be done.
            That's your prerogative I guess I, too, wouldn't bring it up to my Christian grandparents, but not because I feel I shouldn't.

I want them to write the story they want, even if I were to end up hating it. Then again, this hypothetical situation is completely bunk as we know this isn't going to be the case on SGU.

As we've discussed a bit further back in the thread, issues of faith may end up being focused on a bit more than we saw in previous Stargate. Still, these PTB aren't (at least I hope) going to go to such odd extremes just to preach to an audience. It hasn't been their style in the past.

[EDIT]

Originally posted by Alan Wake
            In what context? Discussion forums, or on the show?

If on forums, off-limits only applies to whether or not something is drastically off-topic or not, as well as if it is a personal attack. These are rules we agree to though.

On the show, nothing save for incitement of violence.
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

lol That's either an unfortunate typo or a really poor choice of words.
              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                I don't know about that part.
                Well, I think so anyway. It's even happened on GW. I think so long as people go in with the mind set that it's okay for people to disagree and it's to be expected, and so long as no one goes in looking to change people's minds, then it's totally doable.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry, I just find it amusing that people are still entertaining the idea that the people at Stargate would seriously consider making Jesus an Ancient.
                  That is rather amusing. I hope most of us are just treating it as a hypothetical case
                  to re-ascend...
                  d'oh, I feel bad for not thinking of that. Well he sure picked a pretty bad way to go.
                  Hmm, and we can explain away lots of prophecies with time traveling puddlejumpers Well, that's enough silliness for now.
                  I'm all for a polite and respectful discussion, but is that even possible when it comes to a religious conversation? I think it's all but impossible.
                  You must be looking in the wrong places.
                  You seem to be saying that people should only share ideas with people who already agree with them.
                  Out of common respect for everyone else, it should be just left alone.
                  Is avoiding offending someone worth their life?
                  Last edited by Eternal Density; 23 July 2009, 07:43 PM. Reason: blank line removal
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                  Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                  Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                  Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                  Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Well, I think so anyway. It's even happened on GW. I think so long as people go in with the mind set that it's okay for people to disagree and it's to be expected, and so long as no one goes in looking to change people's minds, then it's totally doable.
                    If you're talking about a place like GW (or any place) where people come to talk about a wide range of topics... but if it's somewhere like the workplace where you have to be around certain people it's more likely to devolve.

I think that's what AW is talking about by "leaving the subject alone" in places you have to be as opposed to places you want to be.

Comment

I'm confused. When did this stop being fiction?
                      Oh it's still fiction, but Stargate has lasted this long without bringing in some of these some sensitive aspects of society, I don't think they should start now.

Why do people have to censor themselves so that other people's delicate sensibilities aren't offended?
                      To retain myself from opening up a can of worms that should be better left closed, I will stop talking about this matter now.

Comment

I have just created a thread for this topic we are discussing here. It would probably be good if we moved it there, so more general discussions could happen here, since this topic has dominated this thread for the past couple or so pages. Plus, the new thread can allow us to expand on the subject in a respectable and constructive manner.

Thread: Religion and SGU: Thoughts, Concerns, Ideas

Comment

I think that's what AW is talking about by "leaving the subject alone" in places you have to be as opposed to places you want to be.
                          I think it's possible with anyone, anywhere. Or at least it should be and in my experience it generally has been. It's really just the mindset of the people involved. So long as people realise that they are discussing ideas and theories and refrain from personal attacks, it's all good.
                          sigpic

Comment

Bitterness alert:

Spoiler:
                            Seriously? People chat about off-topicness for pages and pages and pages and now when we have a discussion about SGU and what it could hold, people want to move it away into another thread? Yeesh.

On a more respectable note...

How about that Destiny ship? When's the Comic Con stuff being released to us poor schmoes who couldn't go?
                            Last edited by Pandora's_Box; 23 July 2009, 08:02 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Bitterness alert:

Spoiler:
                              Seriously? People chat about off-topicness for pages and pages and pages and now when we have a discussion about SGU and what it could hold, people want to move it away into another thread? Yeesh.
                              I felt this was a respectful approach, plus it would allow the discussion to expand and allow a better discussion in a thread specifically based on the topic. Overall, both those who want to discuss it and those who don't will benefit without the two conflicting and crossing over. Hell, the topic we have been discussing is important, one worth to discuss constructively.

Comment

Eh, I'll just go with the flow on the 'which thread to discuss in' issue. I suppose we were hitting on a lot of deeper issues than just SGU, even if it was sparked from the SGU trailer. Moving it will give it room to grow and will also prevent it from getting lost once we get into discussing the next crumbs of news that come out. Or banquets of news, such as the SGU trailer which I'm dying to see. I've become used to the little teasers they've been drip feeding us, so a multi-minute splash will be a pretty amazing experience, I feel. Bring it on!

By the way, I'm dreading they day when I accidentally write Density instead of Destiny, but I know it's inevitable.
                                "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                                Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                                Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                                Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                                Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Working...
                                X