Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
    WHERE IS THE VIDEO!

I demand to see the video!

Invade YouTube!

Also...from the article on the GW front page...

No. Just no, PTB.

Spoiler:
    I don't know how I'd feel about him being all religious and whatnot if I'm going to be thunking him.
    Spoiler:
    I don't see why it should matter? Religion only (IMO) seems to have a minor impact who a person is.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Yeaaaa...No.

I mean, yes, people often do. But, I'm less inclined to like it.

Spoiler:
      Although, I do wonder what in the world that would be doing in the middle of the desert. Or if it's just a hallucination of some sort.
      Spoilers from the premiere
      Spoiler:
      The team visit a desert planet in one of the first three eps and i think I heard they get stranded there for some time, so hallucinations is likely the cause

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
        Spoiler:
        Almost certainly that's what it is. Heatstroke and/or a mirage illusion going on. Still, it piques my interest as to the context, as well as why that is the image he sees of all things
        That's what crossed my mind as well.
        Spoiler:

It could be very telling of his character. Most people see water (as that being the thing that would save them from death in the desert). He sees Jesus. Salvation?
        sigpic

Comment

I've already read it. The execution matters more to me than being surprised does.
          Yeah, there's that.

Also, this is stuff TPTB is releasing themselves, so it was chosen so as to not be too spoilerish anyway.

Whatever the case, I read it after I wrote that post.

As for the religious thing, I think it can be pretty good. There's nothing wrong with religious people (or any people) as long as their personal beliefs stay personal and they don't try to make other people believe it as well, forcefully. Furthermore, an openly religious main character is new to Stargate, so I think it can help facilitate new...well, stuff. Religion is important to certain people and drive what they do in life, so I don't see why SGU couldn't have people who are religious, especially when they are trying to get a good crosssection of society anyway.

OOOOOO I CAN'T WAIT!!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Spoiler:
            I don't see why it should matter? Religion only (IMO) seems to have a minor impact who a person is.
            Spoiler:
            I don't think I'd say it plays a minor role. Depending on the amount and type of religiousity a person is exposed to, it could play a huge role.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm inclined to agree.
              Spoiler:

Given TPTB's claims of increase character development and focus, "darkness", and "edginess", and increased focus on a character's personal faith is to be expected as it plays a large role for a lot of people. If done well, it could prove interesting. I'll watch it.

I mean, I watched BSG after all.
              Haha, yes.

Spoiler:

It could prove very interesting. Of course, I hope that if faith is touched on to this degree that there is a decent mixup of faith, religious belief, and non-belief amongst the characters.

BSG is a good example of a show that had a pretty heavy focus on faith but did it so that it was done well. The Greek pantheon was an exceptionally cool twist to throw in, though that became much less of a focus near the end of the show.

As long as there's no deus ex-wtf, then I'll be fine
              Sig by Pandora's Box
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                As for the religious thing, I think it can be pretty good. There's nothing wrong with religious people (or any people) as long as their personal beliefs stay personal and they don't try to make other people believe it as well, forcefully. Furthermore, an openly religious main character is new to Stargate, so I think it can help facilitate new...well, stuff. Religion is important to certain people and drive what they do in life, so I don't see why SGU couldn't have people who are religious, especially when they are trying to get a good crosssection of society anyway.
                Here, here.

Religion is dark and edgy, right?

Seriously, I wouldn't mind it so long (as you said) as the character refrains from becoming preachy. And so long as the show refrains from becoming preachy about him. Admittedly, it's a fine line and one I'd be interested to watch SGU walk.
                sigpic

Comment

Here, here.

Religion is dark and edgy, right?

Seriously, I wouldn't mind it so long (as you said) as the character refrains from becoming preachy. And so long as the show refrains from becoming preachy about him. Admittedly, it's a fine line and one I'd be interested to watch SGU walk.
                  Absolutely, absolutely.

There is a big difference between a character being religious and maybe even preachy to an extent, and the show being religious and preachy. With the former, you may get characters spouting bible verses or what not, and having other, non-religious people reacting to it in ways that are true to their character (annoyance, acceptance, curiosity, etc.), while with the latter you pretty much have everyone agreeing with the religious guy and it all seems terribly fake and forced.

Which sucks.

Comment

Spoiler:
                    I don't think I'd say it plays a minor role. Depending on the amount and type of religiousity a person is exposed to, it could play a huge role.
                    Unless we are dealing with an evanglist I really don't see it a big deal. Most people who follow religion keep it to themselves unless asked. I know I don't talk about my religious beliefs until someone asks and it seems most people I know follow the same.
                    Absolutely, absolutely.

There is a big difference between a character being religious and maybe even preachy to an extent, and the show being religious and preachy. With the former, you may get characters spouting bible verses or what not, and having other, non-religious people reacting to it in ways that are true to their character (annoyance, acceptance, curiosity, etc.), while with the latter you pretty much have everyone agreeing with the religious guy and it all seems terribly fake and forced.

Which sucks.

I hate to make this comparassion again but that sounds like BSG
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Absolutely, absolutely.

Which sucks.
                      I don't mind them agreeing sometimes. After all, the religious guy can't be wrong all the time and the show can't just continue to disagree with him for the sake of being anti-religion (which is kind of the vibe I used to get from Stargate, but that's another discussion someplace else). But if there were an episode that kind of knocked atheism on it's ass (at least for a little while ), I'd totally be intrigued by that concept.

Now I have this yearning to watch Joan of Arcadia.
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh yes, that's true.

I guess I meant "always" agree with him/her. That's not very interestinig.

Hell, always agreeing with someone is not good no matter who that someone is...unless that person is JM, of course.

All this rambling to say: I hope the writers open their minds to the possibilities.

Comment

Absolutely, absolutely.

Which sucks.
                          I agree. In the same vein, I would hate for there to be an atheist character on the show who is constantly railing on religion and spitting on the beliefs of the crew who may have a belief in a god.

It really goes both ways. Characters are characters, and, while their beliefs are relatively important to who they are, I hardly think they'll become the defining characteristic of said characters. Throw in believers and non-believers alike, as long as it doesn't become preachy from a character or show standpoint, then I'll be fine.

It's the reason I always liked the Ori story arc so much. It never took a side, and railed strictly against fundamentalism and extremism. (IMHO...of course)

On a slightly-related note...I saw once on this board that someone said Rodney McKay was an atheist? Did he ever say this, or was it more of an implied thing? I don't care whether or not he is, but if he was (and open about it on the show), it'd be another good example of how TPTB can have openly religion or non-religious characters while not coming off preachy.
                          Sig by Pandora's Box
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                            It really goes both ways. Characters are characters, and, while their beliefs are relatively important to who they are, I hardly think they'll become the defining characteristic of said characters. Throw in believers and non-believers alike, as long as it doesn't become preachy from a character or show standpoint, then I'll be fine.
                            Ditto.

On a slightly-related note...I saw once on this board that someone said Rodney McKay was an atheist? Did he ever say this, or was it more of an implied thing? I don't care whether or not he is, but if he was (and open about it on the show), it'd be another good example of how TPTB can have openly religion or non-religious characters while not coming off preachy.
                            I was wondering the same thing.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, there was the time when he was kind of a jerkass to Chaya and the whole religious beliefs of her people. Then again, maybe it's his disdain for, uh...shall we say..."primitive" religions like those while he does indeed believe in a higher power himself.

I mean, I can be a pretty big jerkass to certain religious people (not particularly proud of this facet of my personality, by the way), but I'm not an atheist; I'm agnostic.

Comment

I mean, I can be a pretty big jerkass to certain religious people (not particularly proud of this facet of my personality, by the way), but I'm not an atheist; I'm agnostic.
                                Fence sitter.

Joking! Don't kill me!

On a serious note...

Well, there was the time when he was kind of a jerkass to Chaya and the whole religious beliefs of her people. Then again, maybe it's his disdain for, uh...shall we say..."primitive" religions like those while he does indeed believe in a higher power himself.
                                It never was stated explicitly, but I would like to point out that while Carter turned to God (or so I think, I can't remember very well) when she was dying, McKay never did in neither Tao of Rodney nor The Shrine. Telling?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X