Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
    Yes I know you said Scottish slang. I wasn't really referring to it, but it make me think to ask.
    Does Scottish have sentences? Will Rush be easier to understand than you or more difficult? Besides his accent, that is.
    Yes Rush should be He gave the Producers some accents to listen to and they have probably picked one people can understand like Carson on SGA
    Made by the wonderful Lahela

Comment

Originally posted by SGU Scotsman View Post
      Yes Rush should be He gave the Producers some accents to listen to and they have probably picked one people can understand like Carson on SGA
      This is true. You can notice a very distinct difference between his accent in interviews and his character's accent. I even remember Joseph Mallozzi saying something about Robert Carlyle offering 14 different dialects for the producers to choose from...so I can imagine they probably chose a more understandable one, haha.

Still, I had no idea there were so many distinct dialects in Scotland, and it's interesting to see that Robert Carlyle can actively switch between them.

You're from Scotland, any interesting insights into this?
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

I think I've been misunderstood. I was wondering whether he would be understandable besides his accent, or will I be thoroughly confused by slang or sentence structure?. But I suppose that since he's a scientist he should be good at communicating ideas clearly. Oh, wait... technobabble! heh. Forget the Scottish, those scientists have a slang all of their own. Though it's probably more correct to call it jargon.
        Spoiler:
        Orbital insertion trajectory!!!!!
        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
          This is true. You can notice a very distinct difference between his accent in interviews and his character's accent. I even remember Joseph Mallozzi saying something about Robert Carlyle offering 14 different dialects for the producers to choose from...so I can imagine they probably chose a more understandable one, haha.

Still, I had no idea there were so many distinct dialects in Scotland, and it's interesting to see that Robert Carlyle can actively switch between them.

You're from Scotland, any interesting insights into this?
          Your right he did give them a number of different Scottish dialects

And yes there are numerous Scottish dialects in Scotland nearly every little town or village has its own dialect

Any in-sight sorry everyday is the same for me you would be best asking someone not from Scotland but lives there lol as i dont really see the diffrence in the way we talk so yea someone not from Scotland but lives there is your best bet

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
            I think I've been misunderstood. I was wondering whether he would be understandable besides his accent, or will I be thoroughly confused by slang or sentence structure?.
            I'd imagine not, unless he's allowed to ad-lib some of his lines. The writers are probably not up on Scottish slang

But I suppose that since he's a scientist he should be good at communicating ideas clearly. Oh, wait... technobabble! heh. Forget the Scottish, those scientists have a slang all of their own. Though it's probably more correct to call it jargon.
            Spoiler:
            Orbital insertion trajectory!!!!!
            Pfft, that's an easy one. Try "global regulator of secondary metabolite gene expression". That's a direct quote from one of my professor's description of an aspect of her research

Originally posted by SGU Scotsman
            Any in-sight sorry everyday is the same for me you would be best asking someone not from Scotland but lives there lol as i dont really see the diffrence in the way we talk so yea someone not from Scotland but lives there is your best bet
            Really? I can pick up on the way people from Michigan speak differently from me here in Wisconsin. Then again...Scotland is a fairly small country in comparison to a lot of US states, so maybe it's not a fair comparison. Still, apparently I have a borderline-Canadian accent because I'm from the north-east of the state...compared to those in the south, lol.
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

Really? I can pick up on the way people from Michigan speak differently from me here in Wisconsin. Then again...Scotland is a fairly small country in comparison to a lot of US states, so maybe it's not a fair comparison. Still, apparently I have a borderline-Canadian accent because I'm from the north-east of the state...compared to those in the south, lol.
              Lol yea us Scots understand each other pretty good so yea someone who lives in Scotland but is not from there is your best bet

Comment

Pfft, that's an easy one. Try "global regulator of secondary metabolite gene expression". That's a direct quote from one of my professor's description of an aspect of her research
                Yes it is easy, so I'm not sure what RC's problem with it was. Yours is a little trickier but I get the gist of it
                Now, for epic utter technobabble, try The Brain as explained by John Cleese.
                "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.

Comment

Update!

Well, some progress on the script for the season finale today. On the positive side, I hit the 22 page mark and I do like what I have. On the negative side, Act I is 17 ½ pages long. I’ll look to trim where I can but, in all honesty, it’s action-filled and should move pretty damn quickly. Paul is apparently into the second act on his script. No idea how Carl and Martin are faring on theirs but, knowing them, they’re probably already finished and coming up with story ideas for season two. The show-offs.
                  http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ctical-puddle/

Visit the above link for 2 videos showing the practical puddle of the SGU gate!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    Update!

Loved the vids! Don't you just want to step through that puddle and see what's "out there"?

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Looks cheap and tacky, just like it did when they used it in SG-1 and Atlantis.

Comment

We're so spoilt by Joe. (I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course. I.e. he's very generous!)

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                          Loved the vids! Don't you just want to step through that puddle and see what's "out there"?
                          A green screen?
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                            Update!

THANK YOU!

After flipping through page after page of Cantina-like chat (and I don't mean that in a good way) I finally find something show related.

I like the gate design more than I like the puddle. The puddle looks like all the other puddles which is to say it doesn't really look like a puddle...more like a shimmering mass of goop. Which is fine.

The gate design looks awesome though.

Thanks, PG. I could kiss you. But I won't. For obvious reasons.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                              THANK YOU!

After flipping through page after page of Cantina-like chat (and I don't mean that in a good way) I finally find something show related.
                              Ah you miss us. I'll inform cow.
                              I like the gate design more than I like the puddle. The puddle looks like all the other puddles which is to say it doesn't really look like a puddle...more like a shimmering mass of goop. Which is fine.
                              The gate design looks awesome though.

I think that is be expected. If the gate is anything like the SG1 its mechanical and spin around on its own. The puddle we saw on on the other I suspect isn't finshed. I bet their is VFX to be done
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                                Looks cheap and tacky, just like it did when they used it in SG-1 and Atlantis.
                                I don't know; I think it looks better. Maybe it's the angle it was shot at or the lighting, but the part where we see a close up of the puddle on the left and the gate on the right, it seems pretty real; the wavy-ness extends all the way to the gate rather then fading into a uniform blue like on the old projections.

It still doesn't compare to CGI, but it's getting there. As long as they don't show the edge of the puddle I think it'll work.

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post

Right back at ya.

Comment

Working...
                                X