Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Separate, third entity" or not, Universe still has to be consistent with the previous shows.

Come on - Daniel's the top expert on the Ancients, Carter's one of the top scientists and the captain of a ship, and Jack's in charge of fricking everything.
    Like it or not, if a bunch of people get stranded on some Ancient ship, these are the people that are gonna be involved. Whatever the external factors are ("stunt casting" or whatever) it makes sense internally.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
      "Separate, third entity" or not, Universe still has to be consistent with the previous shows.

Come on - Daniel's the top expert on the Ancients, Carter's one of the top scientists and the captain of a ship, and Jack's in charge of fricking everything.
      Like it or not, if a bunch of people get stranded on some Ancient ship, these are the people that are gonna be involved. Whatever the external factors are ("stunt casting" or whatever) it makes sense internally.
      Ditto to all that! Green! It'd be rediculous and totally insane for TPTB of Stargate: Universe to totally blank the Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis...to say nothing of disrepectful IMHO. This new show is only the THIRD CHAPTER of this mythology that started back in 1997 and I am GLAD that TPTB want
      Spoiler:
      Jack, Sam, and Daniel
      to be a part of Stargate: Universe and that there are opportunities for characters from Stargate: Atlantis to appear. Personally speaking...I LIVE for seeing characters from the previous series appearing on the current show. I like the sense of continuity and the subtle reminder of where this all started and with whom whilst also showing that the main characters of the first two shows are still out there, alive and doing well.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
        No it's not.

If a part of the story involves the SGC then it's perfectly logical to assume the most prominent members of the SGC are gonna be around.
        Sure. I'd just rather not see them.

Why? Because it's easy to have smarty-pants Daniel come in and tell everyone what needs to be known for the premiere. It's easy to have Jack come in and be all wise-cracking and humourous, funny and kind of charming. It's easy to pull in viewers with familiar faces and familiar jokes and set ups.

It's not easy to create and rely on new characters that no one has any vested interest in to provide some of those same things in the new series. It's not easy to make people care or at least be intrigued with these new characters and new plots right off the bat. But doing it and doing it well is what will carry the series forward and allow it to be truly successful. Why? Because it'll have a strong foundation to stand on once it becomes impossible to rely on the familiar crutch of stunt-casting.

And let's step back and assume the people are right who think they're using it as a crutch or a gimmick to draw in more viewers... Would you suggest no tv show ever use advertising to draw in viewers? Because that's far more blatant than saying "well we're gonna write this scene at the SGC so why don't we bring in some old characters from SG-1"
        What kind of advertising on a TV show could possibly pull in more viewers (and subsequently ratings) than stunt casting?

That's why TV shows do it. Because it works. That's why you'll see pop performers making guest appearances on prime time network shows or a well-known face popping up for a guest appearance.

Yes, if there's a scene at the SGC it makes sense to have a "familiar face"....maybe. But it also makes sense not to given that this is a new show with a new cast that audiences should be getting acquainted with.

Sam, Daniel, and Jack are not the be all and end all of the Stargate franchise. The franchise can't subsist forever on their popularity alone.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post

Why? Because it's easy to have smarty-pants Daniel come in and tell everyone what needs to be known for the premiere. It's easy to have Jack come in and be all wise-cracking and humourous, funny and kind of charming. It's easy to pull in viewers with familiar faces and familiar jokes and set ups.

It's not easy to create and rely on new characters that no one has any vested interest in to provide some of those same things in the new series. It's not easy to make people care or at least be intrigued with these new characters and new plots right off the bat. But doing it and doing it well is what will carry the series forward and allow it to be truly successful. Why? Because it'll have a strong foundation to stand on once it becomes impossible to rely on the familiar crutch of stunt-casting.

What kind of advertising on a TV show could possibly pull in more viewers (and subsequently ratings) than stunt casting?

That's why TV shows do it. Because it works. That's why you'll see pop performers making guest appearances on prime time network shows or a well-known face popping up for a guest appearance.

Yes, if there's a scene at the SGC it makes sense to have a "familiar face"....maybe. But it also makes sense not to given that this is a new show with a new cast that audiences should be getting acquainted with.

Sam, Daniel, and Jack are not the be all and end all of the Stargate franchise. The franchise can't subsist forever on their popularity alone.
          Bitter much?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
            Bitter much?
            Is it bitter to want something creative and new? Something apart from the status quo?
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Is it bitter to want something creative and new? Something apart from the status quo?
              Not at all...but they're all part of the Stargate Realm...so...why not have some crossovers. Once the show gets going crossovers won't make as much sense...but for the premiere it would make sense.
              sigpic

Comment

Bitter much?
                No, actually. I don't have to be bitter to see things from a different point of view.
                sigpic

Comment

Not at all...but they're all part of the Stargate Realm...so...why not have some crossovers. Once the show gets going crossovers won't make as much sense...but for the premiere it would make sense.
                  "Why not" just doesn't seem a good enough reason to do something to me.

Why not have Teal'c make an appearance then? Why not McKay? He's just as much of a genius as Sam. Why not Landry? He's commander of the SGC after all.

Or there could be none of them and instead the show can focus on it's new cast. There's a revolutionary idea.
                  sigpic

Comment

No, actually. I don't have to be bitter to see things from a different point of view.
                    No, there is nothing wrong with having different point of view. Its just the way that its presented that gives a harsh, abrasive tone.

"Why not" just doesn't seem a good enough reason to do something to me.

Why not have Teal'c make an appearance then? Why not McKay? He's just as much of a genius as Sam. Why not Landry? He's commander of the SGC after all.

Or there could be none of them and instead the show can focus on it's new cast. There's a revolutionary idea.
                    Exactly, why not have those guys as well.
                    sigpic

Comment

No

Exactly, why not have those guys as well.
                      Let me answer that question with a question. Why have them in the first place? Are they really nesscarry to the story or they just stunt casts?
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Destiny Gate pictures:

Destiny Gate concept art
                        Early design of the Destiny Gate...Interesting concept.
                        Destiny Gate
                        Close-up of the Destiny Gate
                        Destiny Gate lit up with 'locking light'
                        Diagram explaining the Destiny Gate's function

And much more...

Source: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-destiny-gate/

Personally, I am intrigued by the early concept of the Destiny Gate. Ancient 'star names' used as glyphs. Interesting. Looks neat too.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                        and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Originally posted by :Orion Coran: View Post
                          Destiny Gate pictures:
                          Personally, I am intrigued by the early concept of the Destiny Gate. Ancient 'star names' used as glyphs. Interesting. Looks neat too.
                          I agree, though it looks like they changed that idea...or at least tweaked it a bit, as the glyphs are not written in Ancient after all.
                          Sig by Pandora's Box
                          sigpic

Comment

Everybody sing it after me.
                            Spoiler:
                            Kino Ball!!!!
                            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Of course other spin offs had used crossovers for rating boasts but it seems like Stargate does it every other week compared to other franchises. You would think a show marketing to be a separate 3rd entity would want to stay away from SG1 or SGA. Also their has been no indication that their will be a scene in the SGC especially since a good portion of the set has be deconstucted
                              When I say SGC I mean the organization more than the actual facility.
                              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

It sounds like you're assuming they're gonna be the main focus of the episodes they're in. Sure, if the pilot is all about Jack, Sam and Daniel then it'll get in the way of seeing and learning about the new cast but does anybody honestly expect them to be that central to the plot?

Jack and Daniel played supporting characters in like the first 5 minutes of the Atlantis pilot and it didn't interfere with the show at all.
                                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Working...
                                X