Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swallowcliff View Post
    My wishes for the new series would be to follow several sets of teams rather than just one, as it is on SG1 and Atlantis.
    Nice thought, but unlikely to happen. TPTB only know how to write one team and we're gonna get a third helping of it in SGU.

Comment

I tried to read through this thread but just couldn't do the whole thing so apologies for any repitiveness in my post.

I think Stargate Universe is a very pretentious title and a somewhat silly concept. After all there are supposed to be something like 200 billion stars in each of the galaxies that various Stargate crews are exploring. Clearly it would take thousands of years to fully explore each of these galaxies so it seems hardly necessary to leap onto a universal stage.

There are endless story lines that could be pursued falling out of the SG1 and SGA sereis. But even if they want to make it completely independent of those series I'm sure there is plenty of trouble they could get in to in umpteen new locations in the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxies.

I'm thinking a Stargate Universe concept is one where it's reach exceeds its grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Guy View Post
        I tried to read through this thread but just couldn't do the whole thing so apologies for any repitiveness in my post.

I think Stargate Universe is a very pretentious title and a somewhat silly concept. After all there are supposed to be something like 200 billion stars in each of the galaxies that various Stargate crews are exploring. Clearly it would take thousands of years to fully explore each of these galaxies so it seems hardly necessary to leap onto a universal stage.

There are endless story lines that could be pursued falling out of the SG1 and SGA sereis. But even if they want to make it completely independent of those series I'm sure there is plenty of trouble they could get in to in umpteen new locations in the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxies.

I'm thinking a Stargate Universe concept is one where it's reach exceeds its grasp.
        I definitely see your point, but at the same time, we know very little. I highly doubt their plan is to "take on" the entire universe. I think it's a preliminary title meant to signify an increase in the show's scope.
        Theoretically spoilerish:
        Spoiler:
        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Hello to everyone! I am a new user in this forum!

I think it is a good idea to create a new series of Stargate. I have read some opinions about Furlings, and yes, I agree with you I would like to know, what was about this race?

Spoiler:
          I imagine Furlings inspired in mesopotamian culture, (perhaps in Eden, or in Babylon, Ishtar Gate, the Hanging gardens...?) I think it would be wonderful... like in SG1 episode Fire and Water 1x12 (I love the art and archaeology of ancients cultures) I think it would be interesting to keep a reference of an ancient culture... but indeed I believe they will be inspired in other kind of culture...
          All we know Furlings appears references in other SG1 episodes like: The Torment of Tantalus, The Fifth Race, Paradise Lost where we can see that it is a mysterius and strange race...

I read in some topic that it is possible the new stargate address will have 9 chevrons.

Spoiler:
          I think it could be interesting to discover if the new race lives in a new galaxy.

Also I would like in this new tv show keeps the idea of archaeology, and discovering locations, artifacts, technologies...

I think Stargate it is original by this concept to mix archaeology with science-fiction and for this reason I became a "stargate world" fan.

Comment

i think the 9th chevron has to deal with traveling to long distance gates but how they discover it is on a high tech planet where they find out that a race that was as advanced as the ancients\furlings/asgard originaly came from there so we go investigate but as we find a addres we locate there finding a high tech city with no one but as we get there the adress changes as soon as someone dails in that gate so the sgc cannot contact us and presumes us dead but the stargate adresses keep changing over there so they are in al kinds of probs to figure the adress out they used it because of a past war between races to prevent them from tracking a planet and so on so they cant get back but face a formitible enemy that wants to know where they came from so they can destroy those past enemys that moved to our galaxy to avoid the war and so on prolly be something like that to prevent us from running to atlantis and earth for resources

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Guy View Post

'Universe' I think is a metaphor for 'all thing Stargate' - like how 'Mike's universe' simply means my life and everything concerned with it
              sigpic
              Spoiler:
              President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
              President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
              Forum Charmer
              Forum Ambassador
              Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
                'Universe' I think is a metaphor for 'all thing Stargate' - like how 'Mike's universe' simply means my life and everything concerned with it
                Could very well be but that strikes me as a broad swath approach where up to now the titles have been very specific. That, IMO helps to bring the mostly ungraspabale (concept of the universe, infinity, parallel universes etc)into reach.

Stargate Universe, in the context of a sci fi show based in space, is far too broad. IMHO the title is related to the product here in the same way SGA is related to that city and all things Atlantis.

That being the case we would now be on a stage with trillions of stars to explore. Stargate, even with a ninth chevron, would be dwarfed into insignificance in this arena.

Comment

IMO I don't think it means we are exploring the entire Universe - just all things stargate and maybe even a new galaxy which would mean the Stargate 'Universe' expanding further
                  sigpic
                  Spoiler:
                  President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                  President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                  Forum Charmer
                  Forum Ambassador
                  Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                  VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                  VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

The working title being "Stargate Universe" sugests to me that this show is going to be a lot bigger in terms of phisical space covered than either SG-1 or Atlantis. I think therefor that the ninth Chevron will have something to with traveling to other places in the universe, but further than anying that we have heard about before. I don't think that time travel or alternate realities will have much to do with it. they are great devices for the occational episode but to base a whole series on them would be very messy and would get boring after a while.

I just hope that they don't make us wait to long to find out what it is all about.
                    ghjkghjkghjuihjksigpic

ghukgyukukgyugyutyutyu

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
                      IMO I don't think it means we are exploring the entire Universe - just all things stargate and maybe even a new galaxy which would mean the Stargate 'Universe' expanding further
                      Yeah I think the show might include a new galaxy but that would be about as far as it goes I would say

I would prefer if the show tied up all the lose ends in our own galaxy...now we have ships like all the planet from Bane (bug planet), the aschen, those foothold aliens maybe a bit about the nox did they interact with the ori when they came to our galaxy these past few years, the re'tu, that alien from fire and water and the ones I am most curious about the tollan they could easily expand the tollan into a story involving the 9th chevron

I think a title like universe doesn't mean that a new universe will come into it
                      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

i totally agree - i love other worlds and galaxies and all, but the show reminds us, like ice cream - why make 200 flavours when you cant even get vanilla right??

tie up the loose man!

http://stargatefan1.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by postively_narcotic View Post
                          So the new series have to do with the ninth chevron, its pretty clear (at least to me) that it is not a time traveling thing, as the ancients tried to do it with stargate (the time loop ep) and failed, and succeeded with the jumper (name is janus?)
                          I agree. They had the complete Stargates running long before the time-traveling jumper was made. So time traveling's unlikely to be the central theme (especially since a third of the world gets confused by those topics... yes like me!).

Then one of the other possible functions is that it acts as a country code and takes the traveller to a gate situated in a galaxy far away from the local group. However I think there are problems with this as 1. it is not very creative, and the function overlaps too much with the 8th chevron, i mean there are plenty of planets to explore within the local group of galaxies and it would be a giant let down (again, to me) if this were its sole function, after all, it stayed inactive all through the ten seasons. 2. It doens't really jive with the history of the ancients, we know they went to the pegasus to avoid a plague, then came back and mostly ascended, to have another galaxy they visited and seeded added to the canon is just confusing.
                          Totally agree on that, a chevron that takes them "super-far" doesn't sound creative at all. But still it's possible they'll do that... taking us to "the edge of the universe" sounds a tiny bit interesting, and it would fit in with the title.

Keeping with the stargate as a giant telephone analogy, the ninth chevron could have functions parallel to the # or * buttons on a telephone. What do these buttons do? maybe it grants access to a very special gate similar to the alliance of four great races place. Or it could access some kind of central hub of the gate network and reveal other systems of stargate networks (one of which is the pegasus system)
                          Finally someone's throwing a few ideas out there! Who knows what fantastic uses the Ancients put into the ninth chevron? Not a "country code", per se, but a "special code" like the star-key. Love it!

There is one other idea that few are discussing... when considering the title "Stargate Universe", maybe it's not about traveling to the edge of the universe or similar. Why not travel beyond our universe and explore others?

Wacky, I know. Just a thought I had, it sounds too big to fathom, but that certainly would be a creative premise for a series. After all, the Ancients always loved to think big.
                          World of Fate.com - Your Unofficial Guide to the RPG Game FATE
                          http://www.worldoffate.com/

Save the Phantom! Remember the Phantom!
                          http://www.savethephantom.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowfax View Post
                            Finally someone's throwing a few ideas out there! Who knows what fantastic uses the Ancients put into the ninth chevron?
                            Finally?! The 9th Chevron Thread has been around for a helluva lot longer than even the idea of another spinoff. Probably even before the first spinoff.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                              Finally?! The 9th Chevron Thread has been around for a helluva lot longer than even the idea of another spinoff. Probably even before the first spinoff.
                              Sorry, I haven't visited here very long, didn't know about that thread. The only thread I've seriously read was this one, about Stargate Universe. And so far his post was the only one that presented several ideas about the ninth chevron and how they would actually relate to the new show.

Basically, with all these pages talking about time travel, it was nice to see someone bring up other ideas.
                              World of Fate.com - Your Unofficial Guide to the RPG Game FATE
                              http://www.worldoffate.com/

Save the Phantom! Remember the Phantom!
                              http://www.savethephantom.com/

Comment

People don't like it when reality intrudes on their ideas, hence the time travel stuff and the AU stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X