Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MacGyver` View Post
    It would be nice to see a familiar face in stargate universe, so here's hoping the rumours about michael shanks being the lead role are true
    If anyone from either SG-1 or Atlantis is going to cross over, I wouldn't want it to be one of the leads. Talk about hamstringing a show! Law & Order: SGU would NEVER get out from under the fat, bloated thumb of SG-1 if Daniel (or Cam, or Vala, or whatever) played one of the main characters. How is the show supposed to develop its own unique identity if such an iconic figure is in the mix?

Of course, I also have grave doubts about the ability of TPTB to truly give the show a unique identity, so who knows? Maybe Daniel WILL be one of the main characters! Or in keeping with TPTB's love of actorly incest, maybe Shanks will star as someone other than Daniel and it'll just be an incredibly massive coincidence (that no one will ever mention) that he happens to look like a certain member of SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver` View Post
      It would be nice to see a familiar face in stargate universe, so here's hoping the rumours about michael shanks being the lead role are true
      These rumours have been denied by MS's publicist on MS's website.

And I'm with Shadow. I can't think of many shows where the lead from one show goes into the spinoff and it ending well. A character we don't know too well might work but one with 10 years of baggage really ties the hands.

Comment

The title is general enough that I'm actually kind of stumped.

- I love time travel, but I don't see them doing an entire series based on it. I would be nervous about any writing team's ability to sustain that, but excited.

- I was kind of hoping it would be an Outer Limits style anthology series, which the generalized title might support -- but Rob did say that it will involve "a team going through the gate," and that they have specific characters outlined, so I think that blows anthology out of the water.

- I don't see them doing a parallel dimensions show, a la Sliders -- that would have to be called something more like Stargate Universes or Stargate Multiverse.

Offhand, I can think of three general scenarios:

- A space station-based show, a la DS9

- A "lost and trying to get home" show, a la Voyager

- A general "traveling around the universe on adventures" show, a la TNG. This could be based on a ship, or based on a planet such as Earth (SG-1 redux).

The final option, of course, is that the writers have something completely (or mostly) original and brilliant up their sleeves!
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post

- A general "traveling around the universe on adventures" show, a la TNG. This could be based on a ship, or based on a planet such as Earth (SG-1 redux).
          They mixed all that together and called it Atlantis didn't they?
          It'll never fit in there you know...

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
            The title is general enough that I'm actually kind of stumped.

- I love time travel, but I don't see them doing an entire series based on it. I would be nervous about any writing team's ability to sustain that, but excited.

- I was kind of hoping it would be an Outer Limits style anthology series, which the generalized title might support -- but Rob did say that it will involve "a team going through the gate," and that they have specific characters outlined, so I think that blows anthology out of the water.

- I don't see them doing a parallel dimensions show, a la Sliders -- that would have to be called something more like Stargate Universes or Stargate Multiverse.

The final option, of course, is that the writers have something completely (or mostly) original and brilliant up their sleeves!
            I like Outer Limits but would rather it not be that with a new SG show. I don't see it being a DS9 style show unless there is a gate on the station ie a station built around the Midway Station. How ever they do it I'm sure it will be great. Can't wait to hear more.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid View Post
              What if they changed it to....."Stargate - Goa'uld".
              Where the stories will be told from the Goa'uld's point of view.
              Nope. We need a brand new kick ass bad guy.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Ooo! Exciting! If this turns out as awesome as Atlantis, I'll be fangirling over it for sure!

As for the name, it depends what kind of situation it deals with... I'd be concerned with trying to fit the 'universe' into a television show... but we'll see

I just hope the replicators don't show up again... when they showed up in Altantis I almost died. They've kinda been done to death...
                Yay for Canadian Geeks!
                PM me if you wanna chat!

sigpic

Comment

I have been think that it could be a show where they find a way to use the stargate to go to other dimensions, like they did with the mirror thing in season one and carters experment in season 10. Two things make me think this is likely, one the title. Stargate Universe, traveling to other Universes/Dimensions. Two the fact that it will deal with the ninth chevron. Seven are in our galaxy, 8th for other galaxys, I can think of only two things a ninth could do, dimensions or time travel.

Also I looked at one of the pictures of the gate, counting the chevron that is below the ramp there are only 8, so where is the 9th one??????

Comment

I liked my idea where, the ninth chevron was designed to search for any far away gate somewhere in the distant universe, but it needed a massive power source, so they had the gate automatically dial the closest thing to a form of Stargate created by another race of beings with the same Wormhole Theory and built something on the lines of artificial wormholes, so they find themselves in a completly different area of the universe, but they cant get back without a GIANT power source more then a ZPM, and it takes away the ability of the Hyper-Drive because its SO far away......something cool, not exactly stargates, but devices based on the same principal
                    I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

All I ask is to cut down on the "Funny Man" routine. Such as O'Neil, Mitchell, Sheppard even Mckay at times. All of these have/had this habit of cracking jokes or sarcastic remarks whenever presented with danger. This gives the indication that there isn't a real danger with someone holding a gun on them or some other scenerio. I would go so far as to say O'Neil, Mitchell and Sheppard are the same character re-written for different shows/time periods.

Honestly if I were the alien/enemy and had someone cracking sarcastic remarks, grinning and not taking me seriously I would break their teeth out or at least shoot one of their legs to get their attention. That is why such enemies as the Wraith don't seem to be legitimate adversary's. Just crack a sarcastic remark and while distracted knock them out, steal their gun, or whatever else.

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                        I am dying to find out about the characters

Theres been a few reports that Michael Shanks has been appraoched about being the lead. Which would be kick ass, i thought hed eventually go over to SGA for good but i never saw it.

As much as the ancients traveled theres probly a trail of theirs that we'll be following for awhile. I just cant wait to find out what the 9th chevron is for.
                        Dark and Dreary and Terribly Dead - Walking into Heaven without a Head

Comment

I think the ninth chevron will be used to hop between universes. The team will probably find a device like a portable DHD that allows them to dial there own gate but in an alternate reality. (maybe it has a default that means that they can go home but this gets damaged by the new bad guys and the team becomes stranded in infinite parallel universes, trying to find thier way home. Or they can hop between universes and trade with more advanced versions of themselves.) This means that every episode there is no limit to the amount of wierdness that can happen. It sounds like a fantastic idea. Very sliders but a bit more controlled.
                          Originally posted by farcue
                          "You're the last man alive John"
                          "What about tayla?"
                          "Shes dead."
                          "What about ronan?"
                          "He's dead, they're all dead."
                          "Not Carter?"
                          "Gordon bennet, they're dead john, john they're dead, they are dead."
                          "Are you trying to tell me everyones dead?"

Comment

Originally posted by Fate View Post
                            I think the ninth chevron will be used to hop between universes. The team will probably find a device like a portable DHD that allows them to dial there own gate but in an alternate reality. (maybe it has a default that means that they can go home but this gets damaged by the new bad guys and the team becomes stranded in infinite parallel universes, trying to find thier way home. Or they can hop between universes and trade with more advanced versions of themselves.) This means that every episode there is no limit to the amount of wierdness that can happen. It sounds like a fantastic idea. Very sliders but a bit more controlled.
                            yeah......as usual they could easily add something easy to explain why they didnt see those particular dialing protocols when they were researching it, i recall in an episode Sam saying that they have nowhere near as close a DHD like the real one.......maybe thats why they didnt see it
                            I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

Ah good old carter. Always with the reasons. I wonder if they ever tried dialling nine chevrons on a real DHD...
                              Originally posted by farcue
                              "You're the last man alive John"
                              "What about tayla?"
                              "Shes dead."
                              "What about ronan?"
                              "He's dead, they're all dead."
                              "Not Carter?"
                              "Gordon bennet, they're dead john, john they're dead, they are dead."
                              "Are you trying to tell me everyones dead?"

Comment

Originally posted by Fate View Post
                                Ah good old carter. Always with the reasons. I wonder if they ever tried dialling nine chevrons on a real DHD...
                                lol i quote Rising "Loosing Power....loosing power....loosing POwer.."

lol its hard enough to dial an 8 chevron address for a prolonged amount of time......imagine 9 to another universe lol

Comment

Working...
                                X