Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Luec is onto something here. Pegasus and the asgard galaxy are in the same local group. 8 chevrons is like dialing the area code while the 9th chevron is like making an international call.

Maybe thats why the supergate couldnt dial out to the Ori galaxy? It was too far away to be reached by a 8 symbol address?

Comment

But it doesn't take place 25 years in the future, it happens now. Did you miss that in the article?

Comment

So, its connected, but further separated from SG1 than Atlantis? I'm thinking this is about a race we've already seen in the SGverse that has had contact with Earth and may have been keeping up relations. What about the Serrakin/Hebridans that we've seen in two eps. (Forsaken and Space Race) and who probably shared technology with Earth? I think it would have be interesting to see how their society has dealt with the joining of two species, how they've interacted with the Ori, and what type of technology they have. You also have that connection back into SG1 and Atlantis.

Comment

Here should be the new team

Leader: Jack's clone
          Tech: Cassandra
          Archaeologists/Random Skills: Vala and Daniels Child (Oh Yeah all right)
          Alien: Teal'c or Ry'ac

Just an Idea what do you guys think

Also I think there should be an enemy who is more powerful then us and takes several seasons to beat then we meet a more powerful enemy and it starts over
          Vote Anubis for President in 2012
          A Face you Can Trust
          sigpic
          So whats the worst that could happen?
          Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
          It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo View Post
            I think they should start it after Atlantis ends. That way they can have the show take place in whatever time they want. If SGU takes place 25 years in the future and is on at the same time as SGA than that would be confusing. Plus then we would know the outcome of Atlantis before it ends.
            Yes, that would be a good way to do things, wouldn't it? Set it far enough in the future so that we don't have to worry about crossovers, but leave it recent enough so that we can still hear about events from both shows.

Alas, such is not to be. Instead of finding out the long-term effects/ramifications of SG-1/SGA we're gonna get stuck with the present. Again.

Comment

I dunno, I think they stand to lose either way.
              One of the best things about SG1 for me was the fact it was set in the here & now. One of the problems with sGA (again, to me) is that while it is set in the now, it's so far off on the "here" scale it migth as well be a space-opera, it doesn't feel too much like here. That's why I do enjoy the cross-over episodes, and greatly so - they remidn us these peopel are from our Earth.

However, barring a politics/ B5-esque show which I doubt they'd do, running Stargate in the here and now has run its course, I suspect. Hey, I'd love to be proven wrong - and yet, it does feel that way. Another team exploring who-knows-what? I mean, c'mon.
              I would have lvoed to see them do a spin off that deals with the ranmification of SG1, that could very well be set in the here and now - Earth once the SGC goes public, the politics in the galaxy, the galaxy trying to recover from the Orii (assuming they would end up dying ) - but again, I doubt this would ever be the direction they'd be going. Shame, tho.
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                Yes, that would be a good way to do things, wouldn't it? Set it far enough in the future so that we don't have to worry about crossovers, but leave it recent enough so that we can still hear about events from both shows.

Alas, such is not to be. Instead of finding out the long-term effects/ramifications of SG-1/SGA we're gonna get stuck with the present. Again.
                I pretty much get the spirit of what you're saying, but "stuck with the present" is funny. As if when Atlantis was coming out, people were like: "What the hell?! It takes place in the present?!" and the disgust has just been building...
                Theoretically spoilerish:
                Spoiler:
                Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Well, not being associated with the other two series probably allow MGM to shop this series around to networks other than SciFi...which is probably a good thing. Now how can this be achieved is interesting. My guess is that the third show may be something along the line of parallel dimension story setup which allows the team to be stranded in a completely different but similar (and contemporary) world where one can have a completey new enemy and new society dealing with having the Stargate.
                  I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

The best part of SG (and most distinct part of it from Star Trek) is that the show is contemporary. TPTB is wise is sticking with this, imho.
                    I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
                      I pretty much get the spirit of what you're saying, but "stuck with the present" is funny. As if when Atlantis was coming out, people were like: "What the hell?! It takes place in the present?!" and the disgust has just been building...
                      Actually, there were some comments made about Atlantis being set in the present, but I don't think they were very vocal. *shrug* There's also the possibility that while having one spinoff set in the present seems okay, having two of them in the present seems a little more questionable.

Kinda like the difference between having one crossover per season and having fourteen.

Comment

Ninth Chevron + New Series + Strong Standalone concept = OBVIOUS! It's clearly about the SGC finding a 9 chevron address somewhere, and devising a way to power the gate to dial it. A team will be sent on recon and not be able to get back home... Their quest will be to hop around planets (and maybe from galaxy to galaxy) trying to either A. get home the long way, or B. find a power source powerful enough to dial directly back to Earth.

That is clearly the most obvious concept I would say. But, to little information, so who knows.

Things that will cause it to fail miserably:
                        • Any Ori involvement - they're the worst enemy ever.
                        • Time travel - time travel is only fun now and again, Stargate isn't about time travel.
                        • Sticking with the "OMG the Ancients are so awesome, let's rely on finding their technology to survive. That has gotten really old. It was better when they were bothering alien races that are still alive for help rather than glowing blobs of energy.
                        • Any SG-1 or Atlantis characters having anything to do with the show. Even inthe Pilot episode.
                        • A third form of Replicator enemy, no thanks, one was enough, two makes no sense, a third would be silly.

Things from the Stargate mythology that could return or be explored further:
                        • Goa'uld. The best enemy ever? Yes.
                        • Furlings. Ok, so they've been joked about, and likely they're meant to be a throw away concept, but they're part of Stargate - and if done right could be every interesting.

Comment

Things that will cause it to fail miserably:

* Any Ori involvement - they're the worst enemy ever.
                          * Time travel - time travel is only fun now and again, Stargate isn't about time travel.
                          * Sticking with the "OMG the Ancients are so awesome, let's rely on finding their technology to survive. That has gotten really old. It was better when they were bothering alien races that are still alive for help rather than glowing blobs of energy.
                          * Any SG-1 or Atlantis characters having anything to do with the show. Even inthe Pilot episode.
                          * A third form of Replicator enemy, no thanks, one was enough, two makes no sense, a third would be silly.
                          Dude...the Ori are the BEST enemy. I agree with you on time travel and the replicators, but the ancients and SG1? No! We must have some reference.

Anyway. My working theory is that we're following the journey of one or a few teams working out of a rather large spacecraft. Whether that be a ship or a station I can't say. Heck, if they went the route of a station like Star Trek did, I wouldn't be appalled, but I think they can do better.

It'd be really cool if they brought in the Goa'uld or the Tok'ra in some form.

I'm just so excited that it's coming so soon! Holy cow, it's like less than a year! Early '08? So like Jan or Feb?

What if the time travel stuff in Continuum conflicts with continuity and therefore this new show is born? That's a thought.

Comment

The "Universe" title is seriously cheesy, do we have any evidence that it really is just a working title? I do hope it is.

The show isn't even written yet and we're split as to what we want! I agree the Ori suck but I love the Replicators. Those little gits have chewed their scary way into my heart. I do prefer them as bugs though :-)

As to the Furlings, I think we've waited so long that anything would be a disappointment. I prefer the mystery to them showing up and maybe being as lame as, say, the Wraith.

What I want is:

* Characters remember things that happened in previous episodes and seasons.
                            * Characters are changed by this, and sometimes they talk about it.
                            * Characters don't change personality when it's convenient for the writers.
                            * No romance of any kind at all.
                            * Characters only die for meaningful reasons; we should be able to look back and see why the writers had to kill them off. There have been too many throwaway deaths in Stargate and Atlantis:

Spoiler:
                            Think of Robert Rothman, a fun character who could have offered us insights into Daniel's past and who got killed for nothing. We never saw Daniel or Jack deal with something that would have had a profound effect on them and their friendship. Then there's Jacob, whose death added nothing to the show at all and took away something very special. Of course in Atlantis, there's Carson, who died in a stupid way for no apparent reason. And then there's What Happened In Unending which was just pointless and depressing and didn't even make logical sense.

Oh yes, and I want flawed people who screw up, and I want their screw-ups to have consequences that last further than the end of the episode.

As to who gets cast, fans will never agree on that. Perhaps it's time to set history aside with a fresh cast and no visits from the old cast; someone will always object no matter who the guest is.

Comment

i think that the name sugests that it will be something that plays out over the whole universe and the only thing that the writers have never done is anything in detail about the ascended people
                              i think stargate universe will be about the ascended beings like the woman who helped daniel to ascend and there strugle with the other ascended ancients and the ori throughout the universe hence the title

it is the only think that works as the writers have already said that it will be unlike either of the other stargate shows that are on.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                                I think Luec is onto something here. Pegasus and the asgard galaxy are in the same local group. 8 chevrons is like dialing the area code while the 9th chevron is like making an international call.

Maybe thats why the supergate couldnt dial out to the Ori galaxy? It was too far away to be reached by a 8 symbol address?
                                And thus, SG1 stumble across how to do it cos they need to get to the Ori galaxy in The Ark of Truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X