Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But there can't be humans if there were no Ancients in these galaxies. But i think the writers will find out something because even if Universe gets bigger budget they can't afford CGI aliens in every episodes. Maybe there will be humanoid races, but not humans. Even if this could make the Universe more expensive, because than they have to make masks for every T-shirt in the background. So I think they will wear helmets or somthing like that (like kull warriors, Wraith soldiers or Ori fighters).
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
      i'm not a fan of the non-humanoid alien lifeforms in SG...
      we've pretty much been told that the Ancients (and possibly the Ori too) seeded life in their image through at least 3 galaxies... and the Asgard were once humans like us as well....

The asgard were never human, their form was very similar to human but they were never human.

They were about as close to us as the plant people of PJ2-445

Comment

Originally posted by Erak the Lantean View Post
        The asgard were never human, their form was very similar to human but they were never human.

meh... semantics...

well ok... maybe the Ancients didn't seed Ida...

but the asgard are proof that there are other very humanoid races out there

and do we know that the ancients did NOT seed life with the gate ship?

was the GS strictly for laying down gates... or did it activate a life cycle on the planets too?
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
        Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
        Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

And do we know that the ancients did NOT seed life with the gate ship?

was the GS strictly for laying down gates... or did it activate a life cycle on the planets too?
          That's a very good observation.
          Bar.
          e-mail(And msn messenger): [email protected]

Gravity can bind my feet, but it can never bind my imagination...

Comment

Originally posted by bar View Post
            That's a very good observation.
            Bar.

to me, it seems like a waste if all they did was lay down gates...

i mean, yeah, MW has Dakara... but what does PG have?

and think about it: if all GS1 did was lay down gates... what were the ancients planning on finding when they went to GS2 to follow up?

if they were going to GS2 to seed life... seems like a waste to wait as long as they did...

but if GS1 laid gates AND seeded life... then waiting to go to GS2 to follow up would make a lot more sense:
            GS1 goes out, lays gates, and seeds life
            GS2 trails behind by a LOT... (few years behind, maybe a few decades, or even a century)
            this way, life has time to take root and grow on the planets that GS1 has visited
            thus making a delayed follow-up more fruitful for the Ancients... why bother following up just to make sure the gates are in place? you can easily get a video feed from GS1 through subspace... or heck, through the gates... lol...

a follow-up on LIFE, however, would require first-person observation...

hmm: how far behing (in distance and time) is GS2 from GS1? did they say that?

i wonder if maybe it worked like this:

GS1 enters galaxy A
            GS1 gathers data on planets
            GS1 then plots course through life-friendly planets
            GS1 lays gates on said planets
            GS1 seeds life via a portable Dakara or a "full local network" dialing program
            GS1 then restocks inventory with raw materials for gates
            this could take a LONG time... couple of decades maybe
            GS1 then moves on to galaxy B

After GS1 has left galaxy A and begun on B
            GS2 arrives in galaxy A
            by now, given the time GS1 needed to mine materials, life would have begun in galaxy A
            so GS2 arrives in A
            GS2 receives subspace data from GS1 on the local gate network
            Ancients arrive on GS2
            Ancients process the new local network coordinates
            Ancients plot course
            Ancients observe the life cycle taking place

then by the time that GS1 is done seeding B and has moved onto C,
            GS2 should be done observing A and moves onto B

Comment

Originally posted by Erak the Lantean View Post

Actually.. that was long after they started cloning, but before the process became irreversible .. we have no idea what they looked like before they started cloning.. they may have been human..

Comment

i hope that we see more of the STARGATE, aka CHAPA'AI, aka RING OF THE GODS, aka RING OF THE ANCESTORS, aka THE GIANT THING THAT SPINS... than we do in SGA...

that's one of the things that really ticks me off about SGA: little if any useage of the stargate anymore... in August 1st's episode, all we saw of it was 1 chevron all the way in the background behind.... Lorne i think...

all i'm asking for is to see the gate dial in and see the kawoosh each week
                or see someone walk into or out of it
                or see a PJ fly into or out of it
                or see the puddle get shut down

even if its the opening shot of the episode... i mean it is called STARGATE for a reason... its not called "the lost city" or "atlantis"...
                What would really be gained by spending 1 min every week cycling thru the handful of stock footage of the sga gate dialing out. It made sense on sg1, but this is stargate ATLANTIS. Establishing shots of the city are the equivilant of seeing the same kawoosh on sg1 for yrs.

Comment

What would really be gained by spending 1 min every week cycling thru the handful of stock footage of the sga gate dialing out. It made sense on sg1, but this is stargate ATLANTIS. Establishing shots of the city are the equivilant of seeing the same kawoosh on sg1 for yrs.
                  Gotta disagree. Shots of Atlantis as an establishing shot are the equivalent of shots of the SGC, not a working gate. Admittedly, the Atlantis gate is much less fun than the SGC gate, but the characters going through is what it's all about, otherwise they might as well get a transporter.

Comment

I'm sooooo excited about this new series. Lets face it, there was a time before the StarGate. When the Alterans traveled around for thousands of years they didn't have them StareGates and used ships to travel around with.

I'm ready for a ship based StarGate/

Comment

Originally posted by DaMulta View Post
                      I'm sooooo excited about this new series. Lets face it, there was a time before the StarGate. When the Alterans traveled around for thousands of years they didn't have them StareGates and used ships to travel around with.

we don't know that

from AoT we know that they were already working on the stargate design before they came to MW...

2. a "ship based stargate"... is an oxymoron.....

3. if you want a science fiction ship-based show there are several already out:

Star Trek
                      Star Trek The Next Generation
                      Star Trek Voyager
                      Star Trek Enterprise
                      Battlestar Galactica
                      Movies:
                      Star Wars 4
                      Star Wars 5
                      Star Wars 6
                      Star Wars 1
                      Star Wars 2
                      Star Wars 3
                      Star Trek 1
                      Star Trek 2
                      Star Trek 3
                      Star Trek 4
                      Star Trek 5
                      Star Trek 6
                      Star Trek 7
                      Star Trek 8
                      Star Trek 9
                      Star Trek 10
                      Star Trek

just to name a few

what makes SG so special and unique is that it is a scifi show that does NOT rely on ships...................... IT HAS REIMAGINED INTERSTELLAR TRAVEL in a way never before seen on screen........ without the gates you have yet another cliche scifi show.....

Stargate SG1 is science fiction
                      Stargate Atlantis is scifi

Comment

They showed in the ark of turth on the note pad of the idea of the star gate. The ship that they took clearly showed they were very advanced at that point in time.

All of these shows are done with(besides one more Battlestar Galactica) ....I watch them all the time tho

Star Trek
                        Star Trek The Next Generation
                        Star Trek Voyager
                        Star Trek Enterprise
                        Battlestar Galactica
                        Movies:
                        Star Wars 4
                        Star Wars 5
                        Star Wars 6
                        Star Wars 1
                        Star Wars 2
                        Star Wars 3
                        Star Trek 1
                        Star Trek 2
                        Star Trek 3
                        Star Trek 4
                        Star Trek 5
                        Star Trek 6
                        Star Trek 7
                        Star Trek 8
                        Star Trek 9
                        Star Trek 10
                        Star Trek

A ship based show would allow them to take the show to a new level. We have seen a few groups of people inside stargate that did not use the gate system. I really liked those shows, and it could open up a totally different story line by doing it that way.
                        Last edited by DaMulta; 05 August 2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

my point was, that a ship-based show is cliche now

Stargate is original... why ruin what makes SG unique?

Comment

They use a lot of ships now and the show is still unique. I don't think that ship shows are to cliche. Have you ever went to the movie retail shop and just looked for shows like that. There isn't that many of them. Besides Star Trek Space travel really hasn't been done very well on TV IMO, but In SG they do Space Travel very well(for what they have done with it), and still keep the show unique to its own design.

Comment

Well, there will be a ship, but Stargates are a major thing.The first ship deposited the gates ahead of the ship they find and there will be a gate on the ship, so...
                              Hopefully, there won't be any of those danged puddle jumpers and we'll see actual people going through the gate.
                              The ship (from the sound of it) will basically function like a travelling SGC. It will come under attack, it will be their base of operations, it will be their home, etc.
                              Personally, I'm hoping for an old school gate on the ship, but that might be too much to hope for. So much cooler....

Comment

So they don't know the address to the new gates correct? The ship goes out and follows the same pattern that the first ship should of took. Soooo, there should be a lot of space travel, and being able to gate back to planets that they have found gates on.

Comment

Working...
                                X