Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow the more the more they say the more I hate the show and it's not even on yet.

What the **** is the rush?! Why can't Atlantis be on by itself?! Considering I don't see Atlantis lasting past a 5th or 6th season why can't they just wait a few years and then start a new show? They want to have it ready for early 2008?! That's insane, they have already proven not to be able to write two shows at once but now they have two Atlantis, two SG-1 movies, and a new show. Are they trying to beat the horse dead like with Star Trek?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
      If it's not a parallel universe, then that doesn't really make sense because a universe by definition means another universe can't exist.
      To build on what previous guy said, and just to make a point.
      Parallel Universes are simply universes that have experienced a similar progression to our own. Sometimes there are subtle differences ("Sliders" Traffic Light scenario etc...), other times the changes are slightly more significant.

The fact is, under the many worlds theory, technically all Universes are parallel at some point in their history, however some may progress along a radically different path from pretty much the big bang. Some may develop entirely different laws of physics. But the point is, there is more than just parallel universes as we often see them in Stargate.

One point; the Mirror device was a very small device, and could only transport to very similar, parallel realities, as I understood from when it was used, it could only transport to a universe where a corresponding mirror was in the same physical location (never stated, but the evidence suggested it, unlike a Stargate as seen in I believe Season 9, where it was through points in space, and crossing the borders of realities). Now, we know to establish a wormhole takes a fair bit of energy, to do so to another galaxy even more so... perhaps the ninth chevron demands extremely high energy (although there may be cheap tricks like black-holes and supergates kinda thing) to punch through the borders between realities, sending you through space, and between realities, at the same time.

What I have to wonder is though, is what can they do new? Parallel Universes; means it will get old fast, we've done it enough times already. And unless there is huge production values and realities with different physics like low gravity, so we can have epic fights and everything, what can alternate realities provide which worlds within Milky Way and Pegasus can't already provide.

I'm trying to think of instances where strange chevron combo's have been used too for hints... I can only think of the first Oma Desala episode, where I think only 4 chevrons were active as the ascended being left......

Regardless of what the ninth chevron means; no furlings means no satisfied customers, lets face it

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
        Another universe wouldnt necessarily mean a parallel universe. Each universe could be like a island in the vast interdimensional void. I like this idea because it implies that not only did the ancients not come from this planet or galaxy, they might have come from another universe! How far would u run to get away from the ori.

It is very Draeni-ish and the Exodar ship from WoW.
        Actually what you describe may be called a parallel universe too. In a way one can call all different universes parallel ones.
        I recall once there was an article on the subject on Scientific American which called the separate universes as you say, parallel universes too.
        It's online here:
        http://holtz.org/Library/Philosophy/...ark%202003.htm
        In the end science-fiction can use its own definitions for these terms, too, I think...
        http://www.scirev.net/ - My Dr Who fanfics, many crossing over with Stargate & Sliders
        sigpic
        My fics at my site
        Other fanfics on fanfiction.net --includes a new SGU/Space:1999 crossover, as well as the Dalek Stargate

Comment

There could be entire universes filled with furlings out there!!!

Screw their Ori and their 1+ galaxies... Welcome to Furlingverse where the great furling civilization encompasses 100,000 galaxies and they fight a never ending battle against their dread foes: the hairballz.

Honestly, space and distance are a plot point and a very minor one at that. In a show whos essential premise is a device of interplanetary/galatic transport interuniversal/dimensional isnt a whole lot different.

Besides, there has to be gates on the other side to pop out of.

Comment

Originally posted by scirev View Post
            Actually what you describe may be called a parallel universe too. In a way one can call all different universes parallel ones.
            I recall once there was an article on the subject on Scientific American which called the separate universes as you say, parallel universes too.
            It's online here:
            http://holtz.org/Library/Philosophy/...ark%202003.htm
            In the end science-fiction can use its own definitions for these terms, too, I think...
            I ment parallel universes like evil spock with a goatee. I think there may be a fear of this cheezy AU cliche, but its not like stargate hasnt been populated by nockoffs of earth civilizations for its entire run. Im just hoping if it is dimensional travel that theres no counterparts for Earth or any existing characters.

Comment

*gate spins*
              Chevron 1 Engaged
              *gate spins*
              Chevron 2 Engaged
              *gate spins*
              Chevron 3 Engaged
              *gate spins*
              Chevron 4 Engaged
              *gate spins*
              Chevron 5 Engaged
              *gate spins*
              Chevron 6 Engaged
              *gate spins*
              Chevron 7 Engaged
              *gate spins*
              Chevron 8 Engaged
              *gate spins*
              Chevron 9 Locked
              *wormhole opens*

Comment

Cheesy title

Better:

May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx View Post
                  If it's purely ship-based I'll be disappointed.....but I'll probably still watch anyway.
                  I will to. Has to be Gate based

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                    I ment parallel universes like evil spock with a goatee. I think there may be a fear of this cheezy AU cliche, but its not like stargate hasnt been populated by nockoffs of earth civilizations for its entire run. Im just hoping if it is dimensional travel that theres no counterparts for Earth or any existing characters.
                    Well there could be counterparts on some universes and completely original characters on others. I'd like it to be that way, myself. Perhaps even knock-off characters from other shows, where you may recognise the character, but he's different so you aren't sure!
                    http://www.scirev.net/ - My Dr Who fanfics, many crossing over with Stargate & Sliders
                    sigpic
                    My fics at my site
                    Other fanfics on fanfiction.net --includes a new SGU/Space:1999 crossover, as well as the Dalek Stargate

Comment

id like to see some civilians thrown out there not airforce personel and scientists but maybe somehow regular people from earth are using the gate. I dont know how it would work with the gate in a military base but some real people that cant overcome everything. what was good about sg1 at the start was they were vulnerible especially daniel then they started kicking everyones ass'. lets get some non superheroes out there trying to survive.

Comment

Stargate: 2.0

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

well it can't be an AU device, we've been there done that with the quantum mirror. i highly doubt its a chevron that dials another universe although it would be cool there's a ton in our universe alone to deal with though. i'm really not sure what to think of it, the ancients had an intention for it that we haven't experienced yet so i'm guessing its something that dials another dimension in my opinion, who knows really i'm anxious to hear what its all about though...

Gelasius

Comment

I can see it now SGU

Comment

He, he! Yeah, bring it on!
                              sigpic

Comment

I know the new series is not going to have much with SG-1 and Atlantis to do, but it would be nice to explore the Asgards homegalaxy of Ida wouldnt it? And this wouldnt be impossible either since the ancients used to live there as well (as we got to know in S02E15 "The Fifth Race", that the ancients left their part of the galaxy long ago) so there is propably a network of stargates in that galaxy too besides the ones on Asgard planets.

However this doesnt go well with the use of a ninth chevron since they could dial to that galaxy using only 8 chevrons.
                                Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                                Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Working...
                                X