Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schutzy86 View Post
    I had an idea reading this thread so I figured I'd make an account and post it.

As far as the ninth chevron goes maybe the big deal will not be where in the universe it sends you. The 8th Chevron was told to be a way to send you a great distance by being able to find a point outside of the galaxy, so I think that would apply to most anywhere now. What if the new chevron was actually a way to change the reality or time the gate would go to, kind of like the slider of stargate with the whole problem being some sort of enemy is going across the dimensions and messing stuff up. The Ancients are supposed to be a very smart group of people they might have technoligy like this but was never used much because of the war?
    Interesting ideas there. Though we still would have to explain how come the gate can send you to an alternate universe/reality with its own Gate, I mean does it still send you to another gate or just form a wormhole on the other side?

And if it sends you to just a wormhole somewhere else, whereever that may be, how do you get back without a Gate?
    http://www.scirev.net/ - My Dr Who fanfics, many crossing over with Stargate & Sliders
    sigpic
    My fics at my site
    Other fanfics on fanfiction.net --includes a new SGU/Space:1999 crossover, as well as the Dalek Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Schutzy86 View Post
      I had an idea reading this thread so I figured I'd make an account and post it.

As far as the ninth chevron goes maybe the big deal will not be where in the universe it sends you. The 8th Chevron was told to be a way to send you a great distance by being able to find a point outside of the galaxy, so I think that would apply to most anywhere now. What if the new chevron was actually a way to change the reality or time the gate would go to, kind of like the slider of stargate with the whole problem being some sort of enemy is going across the dimensions and messing stuff up. The Ancients are supposed to be a very smart group of people they might have technoligy like this but was never used much because of the war?
      i don't particularly like this idea. it's full of holes.
      a) what would be the purpose of exploring alternate realities
      b) what would be the purpose of someone "messing up" realities
      c) what would there be to gain by stopping them?
      d) sliders has already been done, and although it was good at first, it went downhill.
      e) have you ever seen a jet li movie called "the one" similar premise, but only because of certain rules in that specific multiverse.
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
        e) have you ever seen a jet li movie called "the one" similar premise, but only because of certain rules in that specific multiverse.
        I hardly think if it's already been done it means that it won't be done.
        If so we would have stopped at the literary greats and mythologies..
        http://www.scirev.net/ - My Dr Who fanfics, many crossing over with Stargate & Sliders
        sigpic
        My fics at my site
        Other fanfics on fanfiction.net --includes a new SGU/Space:1999 crossover, as well as the Dalek Stargate

Comment

the whole alternate reality/alternate universe thing is cool if used once in a while, like one episode per season or less...

it was cool when the 2nd rodney came through the bridge in SGAs3... it was pretty decent when carter was sent through to another universe by the other carter in SG1s10... and the quantum mirror was pretty cool... but doing that stuff week in and week out turns the show into a gimmick show... and while that would work for 1 or 2 episodes here and there, or for a film... i don't think it would work for a TV series for more than 2 seasons... especially not after SGA failed to live up to expectations...

i wonder what will happen at the end of Stargate: Continuum with Ba'al changing the fabric of time... i think that the other poster was right in that SG:C will affect SGU...
          i also wonder if it will affect SGA...

IMHO, reality hopping every week changes the scope of Stargate... and digresses from the original concepts as laid out in the film where O'Neil had 1 L and the SG1 series... both were about us, earth, discovering our universe (in the film)/our galaxy... and what was really going on out there... SGA was about us discovering another galaxy... its simply SG1 in another location... i think SGU, if it were to expand upon what was laid out in SG1 and the film, would simply be about us discovering a grander vision of what is going on either in out local cluster, another cluster, or the universe as a whole... its the next logical step.

7 - another star
          8 - another galaxy
          9 - another cluster (since clusters are inbetween galaxies and universes in terms of size and distance)
          Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
          Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
          Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
          Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
            the whole alternate reality/alternate universe thing is cool if used once in a while, like one episode per season or less...

it was cool when the 2nd rodney came through the bridge in SGAs3... it was pretty decent when carter was sent through to another universe by the other carter in SG1s10... and the quantum mirror was pretty cool... but doing that stuff week in and week out turns the show into a gimmick show... and while that would work for 1 or 2 episodes here and there, or for a film... i don't think it would work for a TV series for more than 2 seasons... especially not after SGA failed to live up to expectations...

i wonder what will happen at the end of Stargate: Continuum with Ba'al changing the fabric of time... i think that the other poster was right in that SG:C will affect SGU...
            i also wonder if it will affect SGA...

IMHO, reality hopping every week changes the scope of Stargate... and digresses from the original concepts as laid out in the film where O'Neil had 1 L and the SG1 series... both were about us, earth, discovering our universe (in the film)/our galaxy... and what was really going on out there... SGA was about us discovering another galaxy... its simply SG1 in another location... i think SGU, if it were to expand upon what was laid out in SG1 and the film, would simply be about us discovering a grander vision of what is going on either in out local cluster, another cluster, or the universe as a whole... its the next logical step.

7 - another star
            8 - another galaxy
            9 - another cluster (since clusters are inbetween galaxies and universes in terms of size and distance)
            whilst i agree with your sentiment IP, i still think another galaxy cluster is not imaginitive enough, and depending on if they choose to send a team there or base the whole exploration on earth, it will end up too similar in style to SGA or SG1
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

whilst i agree with your sentiment IP, i still think another galaxy cluster is not imaginitive enough, and depending on if they choose to send a team there or base the whole exploration on earth, it will end up too similar in style to SGA or SG1
              Star Trek (i can't believe i'm doing this) is also a seris about exploration, just on a ship, and you can see how different it is from Stargate. So the potential does exist for a base-based exploration series to be different from SG1 and SGA...

Now, you're right, a cluster is not overly imaginative... but alternate realities/parallel universes is TOO imaginative...

in a literary universe like Stargate, where, while obviously fanatsy and scifi, the story is based on present-day reality (like Independence Day or Signs) as opposed to a predominantly (if not completely) fake world (like Eragon or the Matrix), you cannot really sacrifice logic for the sake of imagination...

nor should you sacrifice imagination for the sake of logic

you must find an acceptable mixture of the two...

if SGU is going to be the last SG tv series, then expanding the scope of the story to have it encompass the entire universe would be perfectly fine... but if there's the lingering possibility of a 4th series 10 years or so from now, then it would probably be best to limit SGU to a segment of the universe like a cluster so that series 4 could expand further... unless series 4 becomes the SGA to SGU's SG1...

the expansion of SGU based on the 9th chevron has to make sense though, based on the governing laws laid out in SG1 and SGA, you can't just pop something out because it'll be cool...
              Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
              Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
              Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
              Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

i have not read all the posts but here is what i know the ninth chevron will be a new distance calculation or allow using the gate from any location like when they are not near planets. most likely the first and it has been confermed to be in the present. it may involve the staregate going public. which would put an intristing twist in the new show. it will not involve beeing lost they may set up a new command center in a new place like atlantise but much bigger and alot more travle. i think it will involve us going to lots of planets and maby bringing everything back together. knox furlings jaffa tokra etc... we will most likely see alot new races and challenges to face.

Comment

sorry for the spelling

Comment

They will either make it like SG-1 becouse nobody knows how other humans would act in this galaxy or the next and you cant make them seem like jack or sheppard becouse that would just be stupid, or they will make it like anderomida or star teck

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

I agree completely. The average viewer probably doesn't even appreciate the distance involved just getting to the next nearest star to our solar system (4.3 light years), never mind the staggering distances between galaxies, measured in millions of light years. Having the ninth chevron simply take us beyond our local group of galaxies to another group would be somewhat redundant and lost on many viewers. How far out do we need to go? The fact is that the Milky Way alone is large enough that it could have easily accommodated all the civilizations encountered in the entire Stargate mythology: Earth, the Goa'uld, the Asgard, Ancients, the Ori, the Wraith and more, without any of them ever bumping into each other throughout their respective histories, and with lots of room left over.
                      My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by alan9692 View Post
                        i have not read all the posts but here is what i know the ninth chevron will be a new distance calculation or allow using the gate from any location like when they are not near planets. most likely the first and it has been confermed to be in the present. it may involve the staregate going public. which would put an intristing twist in the new show. it will not involve beeing lost they may set up a new command center in a new place like atlantise but much bigger and alot more travle. i think it will involve us going to lots of planets and maby bringing everything back together. knox furlings jaffa tokra etc... we will most likely see alot new races and challenges to face.
                        Though using the gate from any location is practically what I had mentioned earlier ie gating to somewhere without a gate... at least if I understood you correctly..
                        they would have to explain this somehow, thought they will find a way.
                        sigpic
                        My fics at my site

Comment

would it be possible for the third series to be based on the plot line of the Stargate Allience video game? Even though the video game has Sg 1 in it i mean some of the alien races they had in it. I watched the documantary on the special disk features of the stargate collection thing. I won't say the races that were invovled cause that could tecnacaily be a spoiler but my point is they had a valid plot line could it be possible without infringing any licesinging agreements that they would base the third seires off the video game or atleast use some aspects? And for the record the video game looked sweet.

Comment

They could always have it ship based but their purpose could be to stop at planets and drop off stargates.

Do a star trek type of show, explore new cultures and by the way would you like a stargate to go with that bag of chips?

Just want it something different. If not then just call it stargate command and have a new SG1 team then.
                            LETS GO PEN'S

Comment

D#mn Google. Guys, this is an unpublished article that we were working on before the writer's strike, but were asked to hold off on publishing for the time being. We have an internal development environment, and this was apparently copied incomplete to the live server by accident.

I'd ask that you please refrain from discussing the contents. Everything is subject to change, and we don't want to incur the wrath of the studio when a search engine accidentally turned up something that wasn't supposed to exist yet.

My apologies, and thanks for your cooperation.
                              Last edited by Darren; 21 January 2008, 02:42 PM.
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Hey Darren, A lot of us are in a very happy SG mood from the recent success of SGA for the past several eps. Do you think SGU has a good chance of being picked up by SCI FI, once the strike is over of course? I only mention SGA because the success of SGA is likely going to be one of the determining factors for SCI FI to pick up another SG series.

Edit: No problem with that article, I did not even read it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X