Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Oh we do, but allow me to paraphrase for you. "I didn't like the show, and think my opinion of it should be gospel for everyone." There, that's much neater, isn't it?
    Neater, yes, correct, no. And I thought there were enough "imho, to me, as far as I'm concerned" in my post to convey the idea that it is MY view on the matter of the cancellation of SGU..man, the linguistic barrier must be thicker than I thought.
    My original post was referring to how I think it is narrow minded to call fans that "abandoned" SGU "haters". And stating clearly why "I" didn't like it gives a perfectly good explanation as to why and how many people stopped watching it, perhaps ultimately leading to the show's cancellation, without being haters.
    That said, I have noticed that quoting a single line in someone's argument disregarding everything else he's said (possibly refusing or being unable to understand it I'd say at this point..) and hiding behind the fandom shield without presenting an opposing argument is very common practice around here..after all..that's your average "fan". Blind faith for the layman. Been around here for 5 years, things never change.

Comment

Originally posted by MacCarron View Post
      Neater, yes, correct, no. And I thought there were enough "imho, to me, as far as I'm concerned" in my post to convey the idea that it is MY view on the matter of the cancellation of SGU..man, the linguistic barrier must be thicker than I thought.
      My original post was referring to how I think it is narrow minded to call fans that "abandoned" SGU "haters". And stating clearly why "I" didn't like it gives a perfectly good explanation as to why and how many people stopped watching it, perhaps ultimately leading to the show's cancellation, without being haters.
      No the linguistic barrier isn't there, it's just I have the amazing ability to click onto the previous page and see you say...
      And truth be told, it takes a fanboy to say that SGU wasn't just "barely ok" from the beginning.
      You see my old mucker, it's all very well and good saying how your stating your opinion, it does however fall apart a little when you label those you disagree with "blind fanboys."

That said, I have noticed that quoting a single line in someone's argument disregarding everything else he's said (possibly refusing or being unable to understand it I'd say at this point..) and hiding behind the fandom shield without presenting an opposing argument is very common practice around here..after all..that's your average "fan". Blind faith for the layman. Been around here for 5 years, things never change
      Indeed, it must be very frustrating, these 5 years you've been around, everyone having those pesky different opinions. As for an opposing argument, why should I? It's a matter of taste, I like different things to other people. I expect you'll want me to argue why I like brown sauce on my breakfast next.

Sufficed to say none of us are under any obligation to have to provide detailed arguments on why we like the show, nor does anyone have the obligation to go into great detail about why the dislike it. It's a matter of differing tastes and while we may sometimes elaborate on our tastes, we don't have to. As long as we expect each other's rights to have differing tastes and opinions, then that should be enough. And loving a show doesn't make someone a blind fanboy automatically, just as disliking something doesn't immediately make you a blind hater.

The reason I and others don't like what you have posted is not because you have said you dislike SGU, that's your opinion, based off your likes and dislikes. However labelling everyone who disagrees with you "blind fanboys" seems to imply that your tastes are some sort of objective yardstick which the rest of us will follow. That isn't going to happen, as I have stressed about 87 times in this post, people have their own tastes. If you really want a cliff notes version of why I like SGU, I find it to be a well acted and written scifi drama with characters I care about and intriguing storylines. However I understand and respect that others may not share that opinion. So it would be nice to get some of that understanding and respect in return.

Oh and I find brown sauce compliments bacon and eggs very well, and really adds a nice tang to a good English breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
        However labelling everyone who disagrees with you "blind fanboys" seems to imply that your tastes are some sort of objective yardstick which the rest of us will follow. That isn't going to happen, as I have stressed about 87 times in this post, people have their own tastes. .
        Thank you for this.

Also, I don't care what all the cool kids say, it annoys the heck out of me when people use terms like "fanboys".

Yeah, I am here in your website, judging your sexist language! Some of us are chicks, dudes, and we would appreciate being acknowledged.
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by SUR6E View Post
          I've watched all episodes and I wasn't really hooked somewhere in season 1. After the story was introduced and they got on the ship it seemed dull. All I remember is that they spent too much time on the kino and introducing everyone. I feel as if season 1 was just about that. Recently SGU got much better for me and now I want it to continue. I just watched s2e20 on youtube (dvr had e19, thought it was over this week) and I have to say the ending of this can't be the end. When Young and Telford are saying g'bye Telford says we're not giving up on you guys and we'll be here (after 3 years) etc. Then the pods and Eli and everything being so unended reads like a message from the producers saying it's not over. Call it wishful thinking if you want but that's what I see, and want.

I discovered SG kinda late. I think SGA S5 was out and done when I started watching SG-1. When I started I didn't stop, I watched everything including the movies and all seasons of SG-1 and SGA. SGU is different, or was too different in the beginning. In season 2 things really kinda settled in and balanced out and made me WANT to watch SGU instead of just keeping up with it. If another network doesn't take it on then I hope to see another kind of continuation as there is so much left to make of the already awesome franchise.
          I understand where you're coming from.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
            It is like Cliff Notes for Gateworld. You should do this for all long posts.
            same here i gave up mass posting in the SG area due to getting bored mid long post

NO lie
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/0...tuary-gets-17/

Only one nomination?? Wth. Season 2, especially the beginning had me crying my eyes out. TJ's storyline, Riley's death, beautiful story of "Cloverdale", Young slightly loosing his mind, Rush and Young fighting, Rush's reaction in "Malice", the speech in "Twin Destinies", overall last four episodes of season 2 were pure WIN. And only one nom? Please tell me it's only because the show is over, and not because these awesome moments aren't being appreciated.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post

Only one nomination?? Wth. Season 2, especially the beginning had me crying my eyes out. TJ's storyline, Riley's death, beautiful story of "Cloverdale", Young slightly loosing his mind, Rush and Young fighting, Rush's reaction in "Malice", the speech in "Twin Destinies", overall last four episodes of season 2 were pure WIN. And only one nom? Please tell me it's only because the show is over, and not because these awesome moments aren't being appreciated.
                I know, right? As much as I think Jen Spence rocked it and definitely deserves her nom, damn they couldn't thrown a few more bones SGU's way? I mean, really, who would've it killed? Off the top of my head, I'd put noms down for Louis for Aftermath or Trial and Error, Alaina for, well, everything, Carlyle for Malice or the Greater Good, or even Seizure, Patrick Gilmore for Hope, Jamil for Alliances-The Hunt, David Blue for Gauntlet... COME ON. Just something.
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

she def deserves it. she would have gotten more if season 3 had been a go considering her new situatiion
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Dale writes: “The Lucien Alliance seemed to have greater for-knowledge about Destiny and as to what it really was than anyone involved in Stargate Command. I was left with the impression they (SGC) had no idea what on the other end of the 9th chevron address, but L/A seemed to know a lot more and were prepared for what they were to encounter when they arrived. I realize Telford probably fed them some intel, but I have a hard time believing what he could have given them would have been enough (ie the gadget that opens the locked doors). Ginn mentions in “Aftermath” about legends and stories told about it. Were there any plans to expand on what the L/A knew about Destiny and where that information came from?”

Answer: I think much of it is there in the show. The information they had heard was almost mythic in nature until Telford, acting as their mole, provided them with detailed information regarding Destiny.

Dale also writes: “Were there any plans in future seasons to introduce any ascended Ancients as guest characters that might ‘walk the line’ to help out the Destiny Crew, in a similar way that Oma or Morgan le Fay did in SG-1?”

Answer: There were no immediate plans to do so. If someone had pitched the idea, I probably would have done my best to kill the story. I accept the Ancients as an ethereal background element to our story but object to having all-powerful beings intercede in mortal affairs.

Dale also writes: “You mentioned in the past technologies that you felt shouldn’t have been introduced in past Stargates as they hurt the ‘drama’ of the stories (such as beaming tech). Was there much debate about having the “Stones” be present as a plot-device?”

Answer: Yep. Not everybody in the writers’ room liked the stones. That said, they did offer a creative opportunity to contact Earth and get off the ship in a manner that wouldn’t blow the budget.
                    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...atter-designs/
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Copy-pasted from: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...1#post12717361 On request of a moderator.

"Am I the only one that hated most of the characters..? Like Chloe, stop the ****ing whining. Scott, schoolboy heroics, yey! E.Young, irrational decisions are the best.

The only ones I liked was Greer, Rush, Eli and Brody.

Edit:And to ligthen up this thoroughly emo post: "

"And I do actually agree with you guys, the other series characters were a bit.. inhuman. You couldn't really relate to them much past the humor, friendships and stuff.

But, SGU took way too long to introduce us to the characters and even when they finally did, most of them were extremely unlikable."

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post

And only one nom? Please tell me it's only because the show is over, and not because these awesome moments aren't being appreciated.
                        Perhaps it didn't stack up against the rest of the candidates?

That would be my guess.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Kab View Post
                          Copy-pasted from: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...1#post12717361 On request of a moderator.

"Am I the only one that hated most of the characters..? Like Chloe, stop the ****ing whining. Scott, schoolboy heroics, yey! E.Young, irrational decisions are the best.

The only ones I liked was Greer, Rush, Eli and Brody.

Edit:And to ligthen up this thoroughly emo post: "

"And I do actually agree with you guys, the other series characters were a bit.. inhuman. You couldn't really relate to them much past the humor, friendships and stuff.

But, SGU took way too long to introduce us to the characters and even when they finally did, most of them were extremely unlikable."
                          While I disagree with you...I also doubt that a moderator asked you to copy and paste anything. If a mod wanted it done, he/she would do it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Just check the link actually. And how come you disagree with me?

Comment

I don't agree with the logic "if many think X, then it must be X", but in this case imho it applies quite well.
                              You're a hypocrite then, basically.

Comment

I know I'll take some heat for this statement but I don't think that SGU drove away tons of Stargate fans, I think it's not that many actually, it's just some very vocal ones. Those who get on this site and others, imo they seem to be the same crowd. I've read so many opinions that appear to be written by the same person over and over again here and on other sites. It's just sad that some like to spoil things that others enjoy.

Remember this is just one person's observation.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X