Communication Stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication Stones

So, i tried to post this already, and i wasn't paying attention. I had typed the entire word "communication" but the web page hadn't completely loaded
    sorry for that

i have often wondered of the following idea, a person from Destiny, uses the communication stones to swap to earth, but then, goes to a different "terminal" and uses the stones again, to swap with someone else on Destiny to go back, in a different body

any thoughts?

If I remember correctly, the way the communication stones work is when someone uses one, that stone is already in use and they've already swapped bodies since the connection is active. To swap with someone else, the connection between the stones & terminals must be terminated (i.e. the stone must be removed from the terminal or the terminal must be turned offline or its signal interrupted).

If the stone is removed - the swapped minds go back to their original bodies.
    If the terminal is turned offline - same thing, although I do recall one episode the terminal being turned offline AFTER the stone being removed from the terminal itself.
    If the signal is interrupted, then the swapping is cancelled until the interruption lasts (i.e. jumping in and out of FTL while on a ship - as in SGU's case, the Destiny).

I don't think more than 1 connection per a stone is even safe, since we did see when happened with Amanda Perry when she was killed.

Comment

that was why i referenced "a different terminal"
      think, 4 terminals
      2 terminals in use for the initial switch
      2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT terminals to switch AGAIN

Comment

SGU clearly showed that even using 2 terminals (1 in Homeworld Command and 1 on Destiny) was more than risky buisiness.The signal would get interrupted if the ship would enter or exit the FTL. Furthermore, what happened to Ginn and Amanda clearly can't happen again and that's clear to everyone. I don't think anyone would approve using 4 or more terminals and have people switch bodies 2 or multiple times. It may be possible, but it's not a good idea.

Besides, the version of the Communication Stones system from SGU was a modified version of its alien technology version for Eath-only use and I think it was stated on the show that the version the characters are using is experiemntal. So it definitely wouldn't be a good idea to even suggesst approving something like this. Maybe with a new, more modern version of the system, but even then, I don't think anyone would be up for it either.

Unless - it happens by accident or by coisidence. Many bad things can happen, as shown in SG-1 with Vala and Daniel, in SGA with Dr. Keller and in SGU with multiple characters.
        Last edited by Mnikolic; 19 June 2023, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I don't care if such a use of the terminals would be sanctioned.....there are many things that happened in Stargate that wasn't sanctioned......i am curious
          you are clearly not attempting to answer the question, mainly speaking about how nobody in charge would allow such a use
          this is not helpful to the question

Comment

I'm just following upon on what was established on the show itself. I'm not saying it's not possible, in fact, I believe that SGU would be a perfect opportunity to try such a thing. But what would happen if the connections got interrupted for some reason and someone would be somewhere really high on a planet on some kind of a passege or a bridge or even doing repairs on Destiny or any of the seed ships, or perhaps, doing repairs or add-ons on another ship (Atlantis, or any of the Earth-based ships) in a very crucial moment?

It's enough for one person to make a false move or a false step during the signal interruption and no-one can do anything about it except watch their friend(s) get injured or even pass away. Not to mention that if such an event happens during a crisis or an emergency situation, it could affect a lot of people, even those who aren't using the stones at the time.

Comment

The possible problems arise with a single terminal use......the use of more terminals merely adds people involved, it does NOT add more danger
              the simplest and easiest solution, if the person who has been swapped, just, don't get involved in something that is tempremental. Everyone who might be affected by an interuption, they just don't let themselves get involved in delicate situations.......it would be like, Amanda Perry staying out of everything that was something different from mathematical equations.....but the more prominent issue is the person swapped, back on earth, Camile Wray.....though granted, Camile while on earth, in Amanda Perry's body, she really couldn't do anything......but, in another body, say, when Wray and Greer went back......but that was a situation FORCED upon them....so, not really their fault
              simply put, if you are not on Destiny, to be able to know when an interruption might happen, don't get involved
              If ON the Destiny, things need to get done, like taking the tracker out of Rush
              With alot of it, it would still be business as usual, it would just involve more people.....and it would introduce the ability to infultrate the Destiny.......it is the espionage aspect that i would love to see

Comment

Working...
              X