Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one who liked TAoT? (spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noriah47 View Post
    Loved the movie. I don't know why people are so quick to hate the very things that they supposedly love...
    I don't get it either, and whenever I ask them politely if they could explain it to me, they become petty and belligerent, so it's probably not even worth the time it takes to wonder. Some people just can't live a day of their life without being irrationally angry about something.
    Theoretically spoilerish:
    Spoiler:
    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

I enjoyed the Ark of Truth, it was good to see the team in action again.

My only lament is that the epic and inspirational feel that I know Stargate can achieve, such as in 'The Lost City' was missing in this movie. It did however work well on the same level as a good two part episode and wrapped up the Ori story arc quite nicely.

For instance, the IOC seemed on the surface to be no better than the 'Trust' as far as their nefarious plan B with Merick and the replicators was concerned. It however showed us that fear drives people to make terrible decisions on occasion. Many higher up didn't quite believe the SGC could succeed in finding the Ark of Truth and this plan was the act of a pretty scared and desperate leadership in the face of impossible odds. This has been a theme throughout the 10years of Stargate and instead of seeing the replicators as a 'done to death' plotline it was in fact quite a clever way of showing that the more things change the more they stay the same. In this way, although we could say we have been cheated out of a visually stunning firefight between Earth and Ori vessels in space, the replicator menace was a necessary battle.

In this scenario all the characters were able to do what they do best. Sam getting the technology repaired in time. Mitchell being soundly battered and beaten before sucessfully blowing up what needs to be blown up. Daniel digging up stuff and distracting the enemy with heartfelt words and Vala, well she doesn't really do much except, nothing much. Okay, she's good at distracting Adria by getting her to say "Oh Mother" quite a lot!

Teal'c and the musical score were the real stars of this movie for me. It was good to hear the original movie score once again, which then flowed into a wonderful Ori theme where before we had the sinister 'Goa'uld' theme. The beginning and the end reprised through the music, a nice touch.

Teal'c's scene with Tomin summed up the 10 years of his endeavor to atone in some way for his part in atrocities perpetrated by his former masters. His noble and heroic character shone through here and his march through the mountains was wonderfully symbolic of his struggle and determination to succeed in his efforts to make good all the wrongs of the past even if he died trying.

Whilst this movie didn't 'wow' it had many moments like above that made it worth watching. I love Stargate as a wonderful way to wander off into amazing adventures and I will continue to watch it in all its incarnations, buy the DVD's and say I like it. Despite some of its less than stellar moments there is still a whole lot more that I like than I groan at.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
        I liked it. I liked the Ori arc from the beginning. The only thing I didn't like was the stupid Terminat--err, Replicator skeleton construct.
        actually I loved that part. because all I could think of was Now that's a human form Replicator. They are supposed to be ugly and scary and a just a little bit silly looking.
        Originally posted by Krisz View Post
        Teal'c and the musical score were the real stars of this movie for me. It was good to hear the original movie score once again, which then flowed into a wonderful Ori theme where before we had the sinister 'Goa'uld' theme. The beginning and the end reprised through the music, a nice touch.

Teal'c's scene with Tomin summed up the 10 years of his endeavor to atone in some way for his part in atrocities perpetrated by his former masters. His noble and heroic character shone through here and his march through the mountains was wonderfully symbolic of his struggle and determination to succeed in his efforts to make good all the wrongs of the past even if he died trying.

Whilst this movie didn't 'wow' it had many moments like above that made it worth watching. I love Stargate as a wonderful way to wander off into amazing adventures and I will continue to watch it in all its incarnations, buy the DVD's and say I like it. Despite some of its less than stellar moments there is still a whole lot more that I like than I groan at.
        with this I completely agree.

Comment

I very much enjoyed the Ark of truth. This coming from someone who hated S9 and 10. I thought the movie was well done - action, adventure and nicely done ending to the story line. I'n not saying everything was great about it, but there was certainly more than enough great thing to make it enjoyable.
          sigpic

Comment

I LOVED the movie! It was so very awesome!

Here is what I replied in another thread on the AoT topic...

*I can't believe that they let him say s*&t either...OR that other word he called him...I was like first the 's' word, and now this!?
            *I too LOVED the music!
            *I loved the Adria being fire! That was awesome!
            *Major Marks is my flippin' hero. He makes my fangirl heart skip a beat. So flipping hot with the P-90 going after those Replicators!
            *I flippin' SQUEED when I saw the Replicators! The BUG Replicators! YEA! One of my favorite enemies! Lovely!
            *When Teal'c and Tomin had their talk...I cried.
            *Sam bringing Cam macaroons! I love mirroring!
            *Daniel crying made me cry.
            *Morgan is my new Ascended hero!
            *The scene with the Prior crying got to me too (I am very emotional)
            *Tomin switching sides but keeping his faith was AWESOME!

I just loved this movie for so many reasons! I could go on, but I won't! You weren't the only one who liked AoT...I loved it!

Comment

No no no! Your certainly not the only one. I have some nit picks with it but that does not mean I didn't enjoy it and plan to watch it 10 times!

There are many of us who like it but have issues with some of the story. I loved it as its SG1 and its hard not for me to like anything SG1 related.

Comment

I enjoyed it quit a bit, it was a low budget B-Movie. That's what I expected. And for what it was it was great. If they had spent $150 Million on it like the new Star Trek movie that's comming out next year, well then my expectations would be a little higher.
                Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Hey Everybody,

I haven't been here for a while, but I had to weigh in here. Wow, what's with all the negative reactions? I liked the movie & wish it were longer. I really thought it would run at least 2 hours. I've already watched it 3 times.

Ok, I'll admit that Terminator thingy was a little off, but in my opinion it was all good except that and the Vala/Adria scene making me dizzy. I really can't stand when they have the camera going in circles. Bringing back the replicators was a cool twist I never saw coming & I liked the whole replicator-as-goa'uld thing. Very unexpected.

Maybe I'm just not in the right thread, but Daniel fans -- how 'bout that prison scene? Holy cow. He's just awesome.

Anyway, that's just how I feel about it.
                  e7of7

"It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got." - Sheryl Crow

Comment

Originally posted by e7of7 View Post
                    Hey Everybody,

I haven't been here for a while, but I had to weigh in here. Wow, what's with all the negative reactions? I liked the movie & wish it were longer. I really thought it would run at least 2 hours. I've already watched it 3 times.

Ok, I'll admit that Terminator thingy was a little off, but in my opinion it was all good except that and the Vala/Adria scene making me dizzy. I really can't stand when they have the camera going in circles. Bringing back the replicators was a cool twist I never saw coming & I liked the whole replicator-as-goa'uld thing. Very unexpected.

Maybe I'm just not in the right thread, but Daniel fans -- how 'bout that prison scene? Holy cow. He's just awesome.
                    Anyway, that's just how I feel about it.
                    Oh, how I love Daniel! It was almost as if he'd given up. It kind of paralleled Abyss. In which Daniel helps Jack in all his ascended glory. But this time it's Morgan helping Daniel. I love it! It made me happy. Oh, and he almost started crying when he was asking her to help! Oh! The angst!

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
                      I really enjoyed it. Now that the DVDs are released, I think more people will be posting their opinions, and I think you should see more positive reviews.
                      I doubt it. Ever see the amount of posts on a 'pro' thread vs. an 'anti' thread? The 'anti'-s are just way more vocal. I've had to learn to accept that, but it IS very frustrating when you go into what you think is a neutral thread and it gets taken over by the arguing between the two groups. Annoys the heck out of me, since the reason I joined a Stargate forum in the first place was to be able to talk to others that loved the show as much as I do!

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
                      I don't get it either, and whenever I ask them politely if they could explain it to me, they become petty and belligerent, so it's probably not even worth the time it takes to wonder. Some people just can't live a day of their life without being irrationally angry about something.
                      Absolutely. There are especially one or two on here that ONLY posts negative threads, and even jump on the positive ones to explain to all of us why we are deluded in thinking that the show is any good. But, no, PLEASE don't ask "why do you watch the show or come to the forum?" I don't want to see you hurt! They will not answer, just rip your head off about their right to discontent.

Of COURSE there are things I would have liked to see done differently in AoT. But it isn't my show and I don't expect it to be tailored to my specific likes and dislikes. So putting that aside, I thought the movie was exciting, and funny, and true to SG-1, and I wish them many more!

Comment

Well said through and through, Crichiel. There's plenty of episodes, elements, and characters I've been underwhelmed by. From time to time, I'll note them. But on the whole, I LOVE Stargate. Why else in God's blue skies would I want to post here so prolifically?
                        Theoretically spoilerish:
                        Spoiler:
                        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
                          I enjoyed it quit a bit, it was a low budget B-Movie. That's what I expected. And for what it was it was great. If they had spent $150 Million on it like the new Star Trek movie that's comming out next year, well then my expectations would be a little higher.
                          That's the key, right there. What were you expecting? We knew the movie was going to be a continuation of Season 10, so if you hated S9/S10, you probably weren't going to hate the movie.

Overall, I liked it. It was kind of a throwback to the early years' "blow everything up" episodes, and it was fun to see all the big panoramic shots of Teal'c in the mountains. I really missed SG-1 being together as a team, so this was fun.

My biggest complaints were: WAY too much of Cam being an action hero, and way too little Teal'c and Sam. Daniel and Vala were written well, and it was fun to see how far they've come in their relationship. But, obviously from my sig, Sam is my favorite, and she got way too little screen time. But like I said before, this is a continuation of S10, so I didn't really expect anything else.

Fun movie. I hope it does well.
                          sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
                          Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

I really liked it. Like others, there are a few things I could nitpick about, and may some time in the General Discussion thread, but overall, I was very happy to see it. In fact, I watched it again this morning to hear the commentary.

I'm glad I've seen AoT!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                            O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

I liked it a lot.

The only thing i missed was either a big space battle or ground battle.

Other than that it was really cool.
                              sigpic

Comment

Wow. Again i need to say that it is great to hear some people like the movie or at least talk about what they dislike with out calling the crew "lazy".
                                I was just reading another "Errors" thread and it really just seemed like small stuff such as no black whole being near the supergate or teal'c white stripe being on the wrong side. It also turned out that some of the "problems" were things they just did not fully understand like the priors being connected.

The way i see television... it should be used as a device to tell great stories with humor, drama and a place to see amazing things that we just can not see in our day to day lives. I feel that stargate (sg1 and atlantis) have done that and because of that it has been not only rewarded by 10 seasons and two movies but fans and at this point the fans and the show go hand in hand. If you like the show, if you love what the cast and crew bring then support them even if you see some things you dont like and they will listen because they are making these things for you. We are one aspect of the show and together with the crew we can continue everything we love about stargate for years to come.

Remember...the Firefly would have never found Serenity with out the fans!
                                Last edited by Wolf O'Donnell; 14 March 2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X