This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
    Yeah, it was just in the COTG. It works fine for the episode, but going back both things seem out of place in SG-1.
    You know they would have still done a few curse words here and there if Sicfi let them. It makes it eaiser to convay emotions bit i do agree it is a little unnessisary some times.
    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
      Wow! Quick response, Morjana! Thank you!!
      Morjana has the fastest keyboard in the west.

(Okay that was bad.)
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post

(Okay that was bad.)
        Smile when you say that, partner!

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Jill and fifth man have a conspiracy against me.

*must not tell them I watched the firsr six seasons on SciFi syndication*
          Yes, you must'nt tell us! Bwahahahahaha!!!!

Ahem.

Back on topic: Watching AoT for the third time (second time sans commentary).

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
          O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

(Okay that was bad.)
            Originally posted by morjana View Post
            Smile when you say that, partner!

Morjana

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
              My argument isn't that it's not realistic. My argument is that it's never necessary, starting in real life.
              Au contraire. There's evidence it's good for you:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/20718

Anyone who's been in a really high stress or fast paced situation knows that it can be an excellent way of venting and stress relief. The fact that swearing is taboo is the reason why it's so effective. It really helps communicating what your feelings are and I find that it's a sign of at least emotional honesty when someone can swear in front of me. I distrust those who don't swear even in situations where it's appropriate. To me, that shows that they are hiding something.

I never used to swear before my last few years of high school. Since then, I've

a) Directed a short film where stuff didn't work out on set and we were on the clock because we were shooting on location
              b) Worked on large school and work projects right up till the last minute while battling computer crashes and mathematical mistakes
              c) Gotten into quite scary situations such as being lost in bear country at night or being lost on the open ocean in a small ship while a storm was coming.

And in all those situations, freely swearing was a good way to defuse pressure and build camaraderie and trust with the people I was working with. My experience echoes the article - it's very good for building up team solidarity and mutual support. I can only imagine that it works the same way for people in the military, whose jobs are quite literally life and death.

I now swear regularly when appropriate. There's a reason why there are swear words: they're just very easy ways to indicate your emotions at the time. Using the weaker version of the word - such as "crap" or "screw" - all the time is a bit of a cop out. You use the weak version when for mild situations and the strong version for strong situations. In a way, you can think of the strong version as a superlative.

In the article I linked to, it says that executives and high ranking employees don't swear as much but the most blatant case of swearing I've ever heard came from the Executive Vice President and the CEO for one company and the COO for another. Admittedly I haven't worked with the people down on shop floors or at plants too often, so they might swear even more. I've only ever been to the shops and plants in the company of the above swearing executives and nobody ever swears in those situations because it's an insider / outsider interaction.
              Last edited by 1138; 20 March 2008, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                Sam spends 90% of her time locked in a room searching a computer program.
                You just gave her resume from the SGC

Overall, I think this was a great way to wrap up the Ori storyline, and for a direct to video release... I think they did as good a job as any of the 2-3 part episode back on Sci-Fi.

You could tell that Ark of Truth didn't have the same production budget (or perhaps priority is a better way of putting it)... now all you SG1 people know what the first couple years of being an Atlantis fan felt like.

I think the multiple storylines overlapping help keep the story interesting. Jackson, Vala and Teal'C go after the Ark while Mitchell is chasing replicators (aka "when in doubt - send in the Borg" routine Voyager fell into) and Carter yammers on about tech stuff.

Teal'C - Wasn't much for "Muscles" to do... so let's seperate him and watch him BMF hike across country till it was time for the final confrontation. Still was cool to watch, indeed!

I DID like the scene between him and Tomin, folks like to gloss over the fact thast not too long ago... our warm and fuzzy Teal'C was slaughtering innocent millions. I like that after all this time, he is keeps that in mind.

And since the whole "Indiana Jones" thing was Jackson's gig... I liked that Mitchell was on the ship to battle replicators and "replicator-man." I've been a fan of watching John Cricht... I mean Cam Mitchell getting (as you guys call it) "whumped" before "whumping" was cool!

And yes, there was a "cast of thousands" feel to it, with brief cameos by practically everyone who's ever been part of the Ori storyline... but that's what you get from a massive storyline SG1 had going, and just ended suddenly with very few things resolved. Even if the answers were somewhat predictable... they were alot of fun!

So, Adria is a "god" (well, godess) now... HOT are the Ori!

Comment

Huh? I thought adria got her ass kicked by Morgana?
                  Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                    My argument isn't that it's not realistic. My argument is that it's never necessary, starting in real life.
                    ah, but if it does exist in real life, then it becomes necessary in tv shows representing real life...

or better yet... it is not necessary to exclude it...

and no, i don't find the other seasons failures... i don't find the lack of profanity bothersome... but neither do i find the inclusion of it to be unnecessary...

the question is, should art imitate life... or should art rise above it?
                    Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                    Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post

and no, i don't find the other seasons failures... i don't find the lack of profanity bothersome... but neither do i find the inclusion of it to be unnecessary...
                      But if the lack of it isn't bothersome, then it must not be necessary. I have no problem with swearing, but I think shows create their own world and it's better for that world to be consistant in itself, I can see how the change to add swearing is distracting. SG-1 has been a fun show for most of it's run, not a gritty drama. I hope we don't start seeing people's intestines getting ripped out, Sam getting sexually assaulted on screen, and things like that just because they can do it now. It would be as annoying to me if the Sopranos or Deadwood made a movie and took out the swearing and violence (or like the syndicated version of Dexter). Or if the Arrested Development movie decides to use swearing without the censor beep (the beep tends to make the jokes 10x more funny).

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                        But if the lack of it isn't bothersome, then it must not be necessary. I have no problem with swearing, but I think shows create their own world and it's better for that world to be consistant in itself, I can see how the change to add swearing is distracting. SG-1 has been a fun show for most of it's run, not a gritty drama. I hope we don't start seeing people's intestines getting ripped out, Sam getting sexually assaulted on screen, and things like that just because they can do it now. It would be as annoying to me if the Sopranos or Deadwood made a movie and took out the swearing and violence (or like the syndicated version of Dexter). Or if the Arrested Development movie decides to use swearing without the censor beep (the beep tends to make the jokes 10x more funny).
                        the real complaint should be with the changes that SciFi made to it.

Ark of Truth was merely going back to the SG-1's roots: the Showtime years...
                        Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                        Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                        Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                        Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                          the real complaint should be with the changes that SciFi made to it.

Ark of Truth was merely going back to the SG-1's roots: the Showtime years...

That's true. Really it would have been better to keep it up the whole time, but since the majority of the years were the cleaner version (even most of the Showtime eps), I got used to that style. (now, if they bring back O'Neil, I think it would make sense for his character to do it)

Really it doesn't bother me, I can just see the argument that it's not necessary (in SG-1, not in general).

Comment

just loved it watched it twise last night after waiting ages for my us dvd to come

Just what i expected to the end of the ori saga
                            sigpic
                            Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                            Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by Promethius30 View Post
                              just loved it watched it twise last night after waiting ages for my us dvd to come
                              Lucky you... I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
                                Huh? I thought adria got her ass kicked by Morgana?
                                Last time I checked, they never found the (smokin' - pure energy) body ... and this was a direct to DVD movie, so there's always the chance for a sequel!

HOT are the Ori!

Comment

Working...
                                X