Stargate Prewatch: Stargate the Movie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
    Again I'll repeat what I said, the only problem was that they couldn't find the seventh symbol. They already knew there had t be one and that's why they programmed it in the computer, they just didn't know which one. That's where Daniel came. HE re-translated everything and found the seventh symbol.
    One other thing, just because they knew there was a seventh symbol doesn't mean they knew it was meant to be the point of origin. Daniel figured that part out. They thought it was a code. A sequence.

I'm with jsonitsac on this one... It's a huge plot hole

They had six symbols
    They knew they needed a 7th

Why not just use the six in the same order and try the other 30+ one at a time in the 7th spot?

Knowledge that it's the point of origin is irrelevant at this point.

Comment

Just finished watching the first Stargate movie. Roland Emmerich's Stargate was almost like an alternative reality. I read that he is supposed to make the next two Stargate movies that he envisioned. I really enjoy seeing the core idea of Stargate again. I can't wait for the start of the re-watch! YAY!

Comment

I rewatched the movie yesterday, ou!! I love it.
        I started watch this serie (I had see the movie when I had watch some episodes) 'cause my oldest brothers tolk me about a sci-fy serie he was watching, and he supossed I'd like it. He said me "the protagonist is McGyver", so I started to see the serie. I love this man.

Now I had realized 2 different things: O'Neil son's name (Tyler at the movie, Charlie in the serie), and the already said in other post that the movie said Abydoss is in another galaxy (withoout ZMP)

About the actors with the same character, or same character with differents actors, you can see, but, you have see that the scientific Gary Meyers, who had make the wrong traduction, is the character of Lucios in two episodes in SGA?

For finish, a questions:
        Movie or serie?
        Kurt Rusell or Richard Dean Anderson?
        James Spader or Michael Shanks?
        And following...

Finally, sorry for my english, I don't write it very well
        You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body
        C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by SoundWaveV View Post

They had six symbols

Why not just use the six in the same order and try the other 30+ one at a time in the 7th spot?

Now I see it. You're right.
          But think about this. Maybe they didn't because each time they dial, they draw a huge amount of power.

Comment

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
            Now I see it. You're right.
            But think about this. Maybe they didn't because each time they dial, they draw a huge amount of power.
            Yeah, there are ways to look at it to clean up the plot hole, but it would have been nice if SG1 somehow addressed this particular hole. O’ well

The whole sequence is rushed…. I think the producers just wanted to have Catharine say: “Jackson has found the seventh symbol” as quick as possible.

There was also the same issue with the team on Abydos... they had six, but didn’t have the 7th. However, I believe they answer why they didn’t just try random symbols….I think it was something to do with not knowing what was on the other side.

Comment

They had six symbols

Isn't it the case that, up until Daniel joined the project, they didn't even know that it was a transportation device? Daniel was the one who was like 'Aha, Orion!', discovering that the symbols were actually constellations, not words to be translated.

So at that point it's just a big, metal ring that starts to shake violently whenever they put in the first 6 symbols....for all they know the 7th symbol, if input incorrectly, could cause the device to explode, taking everyone there with it.

It could have been seen as a real danger, what if the builders of the device had set up a security measure where inputting an incorrect symbol would cause it to explode....there's no way to tell that but when the entire installation starts to shake for symbols 1-6 it would make me more than a bit cautious lol.

So I always thought that they didn't have any idea of what it actually did. It could have been a generator, a communication device, a mind-control thing, anything really.

Even if they had an idea that it was designed for transportation did they have any idea where it would end up? For all they knew it would plop them down in the middle of Egypt where another device was buried. Would they even know that it would take them to another planet? The device looks pretty high-speed and science-fictiony but there's no way to tell just where it would take you by just looking at it.

I'm sure it's possible that I missed some dialogue here, but I really can't think of any instance where they specifically mentioned that

1) They knew what it did and

2) they knew where the device would take them

before Daniel showed up and just Macgyver'd the solution in two weeks.
              sigpic

Comment

Well, what old but loveable sci-fi movie ISN'T full of plot holes? That's half the fun of sci-fi, IMHO.
                sigpic
                Sig and avi by yamiinsane

Comment

I think the fact that they had a big galaxy map in the control room with a movable targeting reticule speaks quite clearly that they knew the ring was a transportation device.
                  Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                    I think the fact that they had a big galaxy map in the control room with a movable targeting reticule speaks quite clearly that they knew the ring was a transportation device.
                    Did they have that before Jackson made his discovery?

Iirc, they were in the briefing room, Jackson had his maps, he explained that they were constellations.....

And then they cut to them rushing towards the control room. Monitors are up, flux capacitors are...fluxing and mega thrusters are go....

But we're assuming that they went immediately from that briefing room to fire up the gate. They could have easily snagged that equipment after they realized that the gate was a link to another galaxy.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, there are ways to look at it to clean up the plot hole, but it would have been nice if SG1 somehow addressed this particular hole. O’ well

The whole sequence is rushed…. I think the producers just wanted to have Catharine say: “Jackson has found the seventh symbol” as quick as possible.

There was also the same issue with the team on Abydos... they had six, but didn’t have the 7th. However, I believe they answer why they didn’t just try random symbols….I think it was something to do with not knowing what was on the other side.
                      How about this? They didn't try it to make the movie long enough and to make them explore, know about Ra, Skaara, Kasuf and for Daniel to meet shau'ri.

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                      You forgot that this place was used to fire up rockets into space in the 60s, so of course they had a map. They just had to connect the tracking device to the stargate.

Comment

I think they knew the gate did more then just rotate... (how? is a good question) The line "in-case you succeed" is a dead give away... Also, the Galaxy Map looked quite complex... It would have made less sense if they said they made it in 2 weeks.

I look at it as... Langford (and some military people) knew a wormhole would open.. The reaction of Langford and some of the people in the room when it happened furthers this assumption... Perhaps, Langford needed someone of Jackson's intellect to convince the government that the risk wasn't too high to give the device a real test.

Lets try to clean this plot hole!

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut975 View Post
                          Isn't it the case that, up until Daniel joined the project, they didn't even know that it was a transportation device?

1) They knew what it did and

2) they knew where the device would take them

before Daniel showed up and just Macgyver'd the solution in two weeks.
                          Very very interesting thoughts. I am curious now. I'm actually watching the movie right now and considering this. When Jack speaks to Catharine, he says something about being there "in case you succeed." That is an interesting line. I almost wonder if the military and the scientists had two different ideas of what it could be. The military, being the military, is quick to assume danger and stuff like that, so they may have automatically gravitated to ancient (not that kind of Ancient ) weapon or something. The archeologists might have been thinking more like communication device, or maybe a transportation device of some sort, it really isn't made clear as far as I can tell. But it is a good point. I like trying to solve all the inconsistencies and issues in the movie vs show, some things just aren't clear. Ok, back to the movie....
                          Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

I think they knew the gate did more then just rotate... (how? is a good question) The line "in-case you succeed" is a dead give away... Also, the Galaxy Map looked quite complex... It would have made less sense if they said they made it in 2 weeks.

I look at it as... Langford (and some military people) knew a wormhole would open.. The reaction of Langford and some of the people in the room when it happened furthers this assumption... Perhaps, Langford needed someone of Jackson's intellect to convince the government that the risk wasn't too high to give the device a real test.

Lets try to clean this plot hole!
                            Not necessarily. With US military (or any other for that mater) they are always over protective. They will always look at everything thinking it is a threat. Be it a doorway to heaven, or to Abydos.
                            Also even if you are right and they knew what the device does, they don't know what happens to the gate if dialed incorrectly. We know it won't lock, but they might think it may explode and stuff. Especially when it is drawing so much power and the whole base is trembling. I for one would be very pissed with all that broken cups of coffee.
                            Regarding military chief's reactions, well, they looked like a proper tools. You wouldn't get any reaction from those eevn when their wives are delivering their 1st borns.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by muziqaz View Post
                              Not necessarily. With US military (or any other for that mater) they are always over protective. They will always look at everything thinking it is a threat. Be it a doorway to heaven, or to Abydos.
                              Also even if you are right and they knew what the device does, they don't know what happens to the gate if dialed incorrectly. We know it won't lock, but they might think it may explode and stuff. Especially when it is drawing so much power and the whole base is trembling. I for one would be very pissed with all that broken cups of coffee.
                              Regarding military chief's reactions, well, they looked like a proper tools. You wouldn't get any reaction from those eevn when their wives are delivering their 1st borns.

Well... according to SG1, (Torment of Tantalus) they open the gate in the 1950s during a power test... So watching this movie now, I assume that some of these military guys know in 1994.

Comment

Well... according to SG1, (Torment of Tantalus) they open the gate in the 1950s during a power test... So watching this movie now, I assume that some of these military guys know in 1994.
                                Nope. Catherine's dad covered up the accident, calling it a lab explosion. The project was shelved and the Pentagon lost all the info. No one in the military or on Catherine's team knew they succeeded in 1948.

Comment

Working...
                                X