Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before we get generic stand alone Stargate movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'd have to know more about the plot of the movie. I like the concept of the franchise but what I really stayed for was the characters and their relationships with each other and the plot of the week/year.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      At the moment, I think we're lucky in getting Ark Of Truth, Continuum, the third Jack centric Sg1 movie, and the SGA movie... but will it last?

Will TPTB, and more importantly, MGM and Sci Fi decide that they just want strings of Sci Fi original Stargate movies coming out for their saturday night slots? Movies that have only the support Stargate characters in the role, like Walter and (oh wow, maybe Major Davis will finally get his place in the spotlight ) other such secondary characters? It's theoretically possible, and considering the nature of Stargate - there's no reason we couldn't see a movie devoted to SG-3, or indeed (God Forbid -imo) The Ancients. Cheap casting - potentially good stories... maybe.

So here it is - how long do we think it'll be before that happens, and if so... would you want to watch?
      I hope they finally do take that step(make big Movies with both SG1 AND SGA characters and themes) but not with the secondary characters.
      I want movies with Sam and Jack, Rodney and Teyla etc, anything else would just be a different story.
      Something i wont be interested in no matter what they give us.
      Spoiler:
      APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
      (YEAR 0 - 100)
      "O thou Sun,
      send me as far over the earth
      as is my pleasure and thine,
      and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
      but never hear anything of bad ones,
      nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
        I hope they finally do take that step(make big Movies with both SG1 AND SGA characters and themes) but not with the secondary characters. I want movies with Sam and Jack, Rodney and Teyla etc, anything else would just be a different story. Something i wont be interested in no matter what they give us.

Which is probably why the cartoon 'Infinity' failed. It wasn't the characters we know and love, and people weren't interested in seeing it.
        sigpic

Comment

I checked on the Game too and it's kind of "alien", to me at least.Though i am kind of an rpg-addict. Just another proof (for me) that Stargate wasn't a "franchise" in the way they wanted to present it to us, but a couple(or more) of characters we came to really like,in every situation they managed to get themselves into.
          Spoiler:
          APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
          (YEAR 0 - 100)
          "O thou Sun,
          send me as far over the earth
          as is my pleasure and thine,
          and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
          but never hear anything of bad ones,
          nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
            Which is probably why the cartoon 'Infinity' failed. It wasn't the characters we know and love, and people weren't interested in seeing it.
            Neither was SGA - save McKay, and neither is SGU. That's not why Infinity failed.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Just to muse a quick thought, if anyone's seen "Dog Soldiers" it's proof that not all Sci Fi original movies are bad.
              Umm... what?

Dog Soldiers, although awesome, is a British film by the Kismet Entertainment group it is not a 'Sci-Fi original' movie which referrers to TV movies made by the Sci Fi channel., which are of a notoriously bad quality.
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

Quote:
                Originally Posted by leiasky
                Neither was SGA - save McKay, and neither is SGU. That's not why Infinity failed.
                I can't address the issue of 'Infinity'. I didn't watch that because it was a cartoon-and, admittedly, because it wasn't SG-1, but mostly because it was a cartoon.

In terms of SGA, I really liked the show for the first season, and while there were episodes that I liked after that, it didn't have what drew me to Stargate: the close knit team, the character growth, and the exploration. It wasn't that they weren't SG-1, it was that they didn't have what that team had that made me care beyond a casual interest.

Comment

agreed though i think it failed because of how it had nothing to do with earth and it was set so far into the future

Comment

Originally Posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                    agreed though i think it failed because of how it had nothing to do with earth and it was set so far into the future
                    Also agreed. Two of the most important aspects of Stargate are the modern day nature, and the connection/threat to Earth. The situation with with the Wraith never had the same implied threat and importance as the fight against the Goa'uld, except when there was imminent danger of the Wraith discovering Earth. Even then, the distances involved made the threat seem less dire.

It will be interesting to see how they get around theis with SGU. The emphasis on character may make us care enough that it won't matter as much, or perhaps they will discover something that endangers the Earth, and makes their return of more than personal importance. I hope the latter will be the case.

There are characters that we met in SG-1 that I think might be able to hold our interest in a movie without the main characters. A mission with Dave Dixon's team, for example. I'm not sure that it would work without some tie-in, or previous knowledge of at least one of the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                      Umm... what?

Dog Soldiers, although awesome, is a British film by the Kismet Entertainment group it is not a 'Sci-Fi original' movie which referrers to TV movies made by the Sci Fi channel., which are of a notoriously bad quality.
                      It is indeed British. But according to SciFi.com it's one of their original movies.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I would love for a movie or series of movies that cover other aspects of the franchise, as long as it wouldn't supplant anything existing. I see the franchise having three legs -- SG1, SGA, and SGU, and I think it'd be great to have a fourth tier as a sort of "Tales of the Stargate Franchise..." sort of thing, much like Green Lantern had back in the day. There was a Green Lantern ongoing series, a Green Lantern Corps ongoing series (just like today), and a third book called "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps", which featured a random story of a random character every month. If a storyline or character was liked, it was either revisited in a future "Tales" or brought into another leg of the franchise. Star Wars did the same thing with "Star Wars Tales", so I think it'd be great for that to happen.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

It is indeed British. But according to SciFi.com it's one of their original movies.
                          Really? I'm looking at the DVD box and it doesn't mention them at all...
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                            Really? I'm looking at the DVD box and it doesn't mention them at all...
                            I know - weird, but still: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...original_films

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I would love to see a half dozen movies of each brand, by then we will be running 5+ years from now and the actors will be older and moved on, then its time for a huge completely new theatrical movie leading into a new show.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                                I would love to see a half dozen movies of each brand, by then we will be running 5+ years from now and the actors will be older and moved on, then its time for a huge completely new theatrical movie leading into a new show.
                                Which is why they have SGU. After 5 more years of making SG1 and SGA movies, SGU will be off the air and into movies and a new series will have taken its place . . .

It's all very predictable
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X