No announcement yet.

SG-1's home base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe most films and tv shows will use cgi sets in the future, it simply more cost effective. And with more and more people going to work in the industry, and courses in this area are oversubscribe their going to be more people more companies which will drive costs down even more, this is on top of decreasing costs of hardware and equipment and the software it self. The speed that new sets can be built, one my lectures show a me some cgi sets he has built, all match Sanctuary level of detail or more and they were done in just couple of weeks, with a lot of them produce quicker. This compared to a couple of months which it can take to build a practical stage. And unlike using real life sets the film crew and cgi production crews can work at the same time this speeds up product drastically.

What up with the sets will only come clear once we know what happing with the films. The writers have wrote themselves several options, for one moving the SGC base to Atlantis, moving the gate to the new moon base Carter mention or not showing the SGC at all in the SG1 film and just show the team on world an do with story from their. Their also using a footage they filmed on the sets and then film the actors separately on green screen and then composite the two together.

Another is that they thought that the sets were ageing to much and just decided that they needed to rebuild them. What ever going to happen we will have to wait to the films.

Comment

the hallways and such arent THE most complicated sets there are. only the gateroom and the control room. the rest can be torn down and rebuilt later. i mean, its basically concrete wallls with the same metal doors, some panelling, and all halls basically look the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
        Er, - I should point out at this point that the Gateroom IS a good portion of the SGC rooms we have seen! It has been redressed to be science labs, the canteen, gym, Carters lab and the workshop.

Trek used to do this too - TNG's Holodeck? - Was also the gym, shuttlebay, cargo bay, ad engineering could be reconfigured as a corridor cross junction. - Voyager repeated this in the same way.

Set reconfiguring is extremely common to save space and money. - I can only assume they have done away with the control room because they need the space for Universe. The preproduction drawingfs imply that Universe willbe upscale, as Atlantis was.

Set construction. Although the sets of SG1 have been standing for over ten years, TNG's sets had already been standing for almost that length of time when the series started. They had originally been created for Star Trek The Motion Picture 8 years earlier. Health and Safety is an ongoing everyday concern. To strike the sets just to rebuild them would not be cost effective, unless they are going for a more detailed movie look. Even then, existing sets are usually augmented, not stuck completely.

Of course the other factor is the Gateroom is the one key set piece, for SG1 using the gate. Everything else is on an "as and when we need it" basis. Movies will probably be set offworld for the most part, so unlike the series, we will get little screen time in places like the infirmary, Dr J's lab etc, and none in guest quarters, armoury or the canteen.

Re The General Hammond, it would simply be a reuse of the existing Prometheus / Daedelus ship sets.

I wouldn't be surprised if Atlantis's set pieces are also reduced in scale. We only know for certain there will be one Atlantis movie at this point. (Unless I have missed something?

All of this makes me a tad uneasy for the future SG1 movies. As a Trek fan too, I was very disapointed with the layout, decor and cinematography of the TNG movies. All dark and gloomy except Insurection, and little time was spent on the Enterprise in that film. I have always loved the style and design layout of the SGC as it is, and it would be a crying shame to me for SG1 to loose that.
        As far as Trek sets though, they have always been modular and movable, even from the days of TOS; as opposed to SG1 sets, which, according to sources, are fixed walls for many of the locations in the SGC. Yes, many of the sets in Star Trek, especially the corridors, have been updated and reused for 30 years now, but they were built to be reused and updated; then taken down when they weren't needed. When Showtime and MGM first built the sets, for whatever reason they decided to make them more permanent. Perhaps it was because they wanted the "military base" look, and the only real way to do that was to use actual concrete walls and floors.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKnight View Post
          the only real way to do that was to use actual concrete walls and floors.
          It's not real concrete. I've been there, it's wood with a special paint. It's extremely convincing however.

Vala,

Comment

Since this thread has gone rather far off topic for a really long time, I thought I'd repost my original post that I started the thread with.
            Discussion of the sets themselves, and how they might be managed, should probably stay in the sets thread, otherwise, we're just repeating ourselves here. The topic, reintroduced:

The very recent revelation that while the Gateroom is being refurbished, the rest of the set is 'no more' makes me thing that SG-1 will be spending the next movie, and any that come after, somewhere else.

Where might that be? Atlantis in the Milky Way, as the new research base? The new base that is evacuated at the beginning of SGU? The General Hammond? Somewhere else entirely?

Ideas?

Comment

Working...
            X