Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Vala Mal Doran is not expected to appear in the next SG1 movie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michelle05 View Post
    Anyway, it's very confusing, but IMO something happened besides BW not liking Vala as a character.
    I'l admit this does feel the case somewhat, but unless someone from the team comes forward to clarify it to at least some degree, this'l become an ever lasting rumour mill.

Comment

That's neither here nor there, of course, but I think we probably have different ideas of what functions are needed on SG teams.
      What an elegant way to agree to disagree. Bravo! : )

I'l admit this does feel the case somewhat, but unless someone from the team comes forward to clarify it to at least some degree, this'l become an ever lasting rumour mill.
      I don't think we need to know. It's none of our business. Gossip is always bad, and rarely, if ever, true. It just gets nasty.

Comment

I agree i wasn't exactly a fan of Vala joining the team full time, but they made that choice. They can't just leave her out because she's not needed, she's a member of SG1, so an SG1 movie needs to have SG1 there!!!
        sigpic
        Thanks to Amaunet for the sig!!!
        My First Gateworld News Item!

Comment

I'm certain that there will be a perfectly acceptable explaination. This is certain to happen again as not all the actors may be available for all the movies, and they will need to find ways to explain that, not just this time, but each time it happens.

Comment

Sorry, I'm a bit behind on the news these days....has it been confirmed Vala's not in it? And a link?

sigpic

Comment

Yes, it has been confirmed, in the Q&A with Brad Wright on Joe Mallozi's blog. I don't have the link handy, but if I find it, I'll come back and post it.

EDIT: Here you go.
              http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/
              Last edited by amconway; 04 January 2009, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                Yes, it has been confirmed, in the Q&A with Brad Wright on Joe Mallozi's blog. I don't have the link handy, but if I find it, I'll come back and post it.

EDIT: Here you go.
                http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/
                Thanks, I'm off to bed but I'll read it tomorrow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
                  It was interesting to note in Brad Wrights Q&A via Joe M's site that he was surprised people still think about Jonas six years on. I say that simply because its a very linear way of looking at these things. To anyone who has any single DVD of SG1 or Atlantis, it doesn't always work that way. - It could simply be yesterday from their perspective.
                  Truly, that's an insightful statement. It is just yesterday from my perspective that I watched the early seasons of stargate, and when I look at the later ones I just think to myself- "My goodness- can't they see what they screwed up?" But the truth is, they can't. They have no time to, among other things. I was surprised as he** to find out most of the actors never even watch the finished eps.

I swear, all TPTB need to be made sit down and watch a SG marathon from time to time.

Originally posted by KowalRoyale View Post
                  Realistically, theres no way the Air Force or the IOA would allow her to remain on the team. While Teal'c provides combat and military expertise, she brings almost nothing to the table. Sure she can negotiate well with other humans, but that was Daniel's job. It would be nice for a little more realism to get back into the movies.
                  That's what this is all about, for me. Realism- both with the external setting of being a part of the present-day military and also internal realism, or coherency within the story arcs and past history of SG-1.

One stupid thing really sticks in my mind. Vala's low-rise BDUs. I saw those and just laughed. Sam wore the real ones for ten years, as ugly as they are. I mean, if they're going to ignore certain rules, fine. But don't change horses in the middle of the stream, so to speak. It becomes terribly obvious what they're up to that way- in this case, it was putting more T & A on the team.

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                  The amount of insubordination performed by Jack would result in him losing his job, not to mention all the other things SG1 have done to get kicked off the Air force staff.
                  You can easily put entertainment value infront of accuracy regarding events. Half the sci tech shows this to be true, why not the same for the characters, I.e Vala.
                  Sorry, that's not true. I think RDA even asked the Air Force Chief of Staff himself about that, because he thought Jack was pushing the envelope a bit. And General Ryan said he'd definitely had far worse under his command.

But, be that as it may, his superiors put up with Jack because he was valuable. It's always that way, in every walk of life, starting in grade school where the straight A students get away with murder. If you do your job very well, you can get away with pushing the envelope. Although I have to point out that Hammond warned Jack more than once that he was close to crossing the line. And one of the benefits of being a Colonel instead of a team member is getting to shoot off your mouth when the majors and captains and adopted stray aliens can't. That's also real life.

But Vala constantly had to be reigned in or managed. Was she really that valuable that they had to put up with it? To me, it was disrespectful to the entire team who worked hard to be where they were to add Vala to the team just like that. The flagship team.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle05 View Post
                    I think there have been hints of trouble for a while concerning Claudia and the production, for those like me with suspicious minds. She wasn't in any of the promotional pictures for the movies (granted, she was pregnant, but could they not have done some head-shots?), she wasn't at the Continuum premiere in Vancouver, and BW didn't mention Vala as necessary to the franchise in that interview months ago. So I'm not surprised by this news. I think there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we only get glimpses of! Sorry I ended that sentence with a preposition.
                    I wouldn't read too much into Claudia not being in any of the promotional pictures. I know fans that have been to conventions that she has attended while she was pregnant and she has asked to not have pictures to be taken. She just may not have perfered to be in the promotional pictures for similar reasons or felt up to attending the premiere as pregnancy's can make one tired and physcially drained.
                    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Sometimes things happen with casting so I'm okay with Vala not being in the movie, but I love the character. Vala is new, and yes she was the "sexy female alien" but she "hung a lantern" with it pretty well. She was supposed to be attractive but she used that, flaunted it to the shallow characters, but you saw the way Daniel reacted to her that clearly, beauty isn't everything, and the team knew it. When it caused her to feel disrespected, she showed it. Her past thieving and manipulation made her useful in certain situations, but she was so flawed. What makes Vala special is that she is so unpredictable. I hated the pregnancy arc, but things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        What do you guys think about this? Are you a massive Vala fan and hate this move, or does this come as a massive relief?

I'd like this thread to be a place that we can ALL discuss our views on whether Vala has a place in the new movie and what effect her absence will cause.

Simply put, all are welcome to discuss and argue their views.
                        nothing against vala and/or claudia, but i'm not sorry that she's not going to be in the 3rd movie.

to me, she's a high maintenance character, and i didn't like seeing our team (including mitchell) have to bend their sensibilities for the writers to let her be on the base 'and' the team.

i think she would have worked better as a recurring character, where the team dealing with her outrageousness wouldn't look so out of character for them.

having said that, i do feel for the vala/claudia fans, because i know if i found out sam/amanda wasn't going to be in the movie, i wouldn't watch it.
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                          But Vala constantly had to be reigned in or managed. Was she really that valuable that they had to put up with it? To me, it was disrespectful to the entire team who worked hard to be where they were to add Vala to the team just like that. The flagship team.
                          Really? When she was on the team? I don't remember much of that at all...Daniel bickered with her, but most of the time it wasn't necessary, just that she was pushing his buttons. Other than that, she seemed to stay within the line or at least on the edge. Especially when Daniel wasn't there.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                          ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

to me, she's [edit:Vala] a high maintenance character, and i didn't like seeing our team (including mitchell) have to bend their sensibilities for the writers to let her be on the base 'and' the team.

i think she would have worked better as a recurring character, where the team dealing with her outrageousness wouldn't look so out of character for them.

having said that, i do feel for the vala/claudia fans, because i know if i found out sam/amanda wasn't going to be in the movie, i wouldn't watch it.
                            I would agree with this, except that I would still watch an SG-1 movie without my favorite character in it. I still like all the characters of the SGC, I would still want there to be more movies (perhaps with my favorite character in it next time, perhaps not), which each individual purchase contributes toward. Heck, I watched a whole season without my favorite character. It's about team and adventure, not individuals. I'm not saying I wouldn't be profoundly disappointed, but I would certainly watch, and enjoy the story of the other characters.

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                              Really? When she was on the team? I don't remember much of that at all...Daniel bickered with her, but most of the time it wasn't necessary, just that she was pushing his buttons. Other than that, she seemed to stay within the line or at least on the edge. Especially when Daniel wasn't there.
                              Why would she want to push his buttons, really? Is it a good idea to have people bickering with each other when they're on a team that could be in some very stressful situations at times? I don't think that it is. It's that kind of baseline disharmony that was such a contrast to the preceding seasons.

To be honest, however, there wasn't a clear team leader to crack down on it. But that's a debate for another day.

Comment

I think it sucks wad. Vala is part of Sg1 and not including that character is just wrong. If there is going to be an Sg1 movie it needs to include all of Sg1

Comment

Working...
                                X