No announcement yet.

Stargate (1994) vs SG-1 : Continuity differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it strike anybody else as odd that the people in Creek Mountain seemed to know a lot about the gate even before they managed to dial out for the first time? After we see Daniel Jackson giving the personnel there a brief on what the Stargate does (as if he's the one to have discovered all of this), then when they dial the gate for the first time they have equipment to track the wormhole as it connects to Abydos, and some kind of MALP like probe standing by. Likewise, Jack seems to know what it does ("I'm here in case you succeed.").

I guess my point is that if the Air Force knew that the Stargate was used for interstellar travel why not bother to tell Daniel about that when he got hired? Wouldn't that have made his job a lot easier, than just saying we have this weird artifact and nobody has any clue how it works?

Comment

Please see my theory above about Carter and her involvement with the stargate program before Daniel was recruited. I suppose however that it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the military to provide civilians with information only on a "need to know" basis. Unlike Carter, Daniel couldn't be held sway by military regulations and orders though I'm sure he was required to enter into a nondisclosure agreement of some kind when he agreed to take the job.
      Keep in mind Daniel was only brought in for translations-nothing more. Catherine recruited him specifically for that purpose. His main motivation was to get paid (no suprise considering he had recently been evicted from his apartment and carried his entire life in a few pieces of luggage!). Frankly I am impressed that Daniel was allowed to study the coverstones themselves. I thought they might just provide pictures of the stones and have him work from there. General West only reluctantly allowed Daniel to see "the device" after a bit of visual encouragement from Jack O'Neil. Also, when Daniel identified the seventh symbol, they began to dial the gate. During this dialing process Catherine mentioned to Daniel that they were only able to get as far as the sixth symbol so it seems they had a fairly strong notion of the object's purpose.
      The way I see it Carter came up with the general idea of what the gate was and what it could potentially do, but Daniel provided the linguistical/symbological component missing from Carter's considerable intellectual arsenal in order for everything to fall into place.
      Incidentally, speaking of Catherine, I found an interesting tidbit a while back. The actress who portrayed Catherine in the film is the mother of the actor who portrayed Chronos in SG-1.
      "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

So if they were only able to dial 6 chevrons before Daniel showed up why couldn't they light up 7, after all they had this:

Spoiler:

The Tau'ri POO was right on the cover stone.

Comment

So if they were only able to dial 6 chevrons before Daniel showed up why couldn't they light up 7, after all they had this:
          As I'm sure you remember the other Egyptologists spent two years facing that very problem. Why no one figured it out is a little baffling but it was a convenient problem that could be solved by introducing a new "good guy" to the film. I thought it played out well. Daniel provided a great bit of balance to the military characters of O'Neil, Kawalsky, Feretti, etc. It might seem a bit of a stretch to believe that all those eyes on the gate and the stones and not one correct assumption. But then again maybe it was better that a fresh pair of eyes was brought in to take another look. Maybe, as they say, everyone was too close to the problem. After all, if we are supposed to believe Carter was working on the project and figured everything out, it would be a bit difficult to believe something so simple could be such a mystery for her (and the team working under her). Then again we should just take certain things on faith, like how exactly an Air Force theoretical astrophysicist, one of the leading minds in the world, would be logging hours in Iraqi airspace (presumably during the Gulf War) running the risk of getting killed instead of working in a lab somewhere. It's just how things were meant to be.
          "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post

The Tau'ri POO was right on the cover stone.
            Yes...they did have that...however...the 6 symbols needed were grouped together. The symbol for the PoO was outside of the grouping.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
              Yes...they did have that...however...the 6 symbols needed were grouped together. The symbol for the PoO was outside of the grouping.
              Plus the actual symbol that Jackson said was the seventh symbol was different from the one on the gate compared to the cover stone. The proper 7th symbol according to Jackson was the normal PoO plus two figures praying, which Richard Kind's character said wasn't even on the gate (because those two figures were missing). Jackson even drew the figures once he recognised it.

Here you see a diagram of the cover stone, plus the figures on it: http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...vie01_0363.JPG

Drawing figures: http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...vie01_0405.JPG

Yes for some reason, the figures aren't on the actual cover stone in that previous screenshot. Ultimately, I think someone in the production staff screwed up as they printed diagrams with the symbols, the figures were supposed to be on the cover stone which is why they had problems identifying the symbols but the cover stone had the plain 7th.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                Plus the actual symbol that Jackson said was the seventh symbol was different from the one on the gate compared to the cover stone. The proper 7th symbol according to Jackson was the normal PoO plus two figures praying, which Richard Kind's character said wasn't even on the gate (because those two figures were missing). Jackson even drew the figures once he recognised it.

Here you see a diagram of the cover stone, plus the figures on it: http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...vie01_0363.JPG

Yes for some reason, the figures aren't on the actual cover stone in that previous screenshot. Ultimately, I think someone in the production staff screwed up as they printed diagrams with the symbols, the figures were supposed to be on the cover stone which is why they had problems identifying the symbols but the cover stone had the plain 7th.
                Very true
                sigpic

Comment

Watched Stargate the movie tonight. Must say it's my favorite Emmerich movie by far, even if I've given the most recent disaster movies a miss.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                    Watched Stargate the movie tonight. Must say it's my favorite Emmerich movie by far, even if I've given the most recent disaster movies a miss.
                    I clearly remember going to the cinema to see it, I went to see Jay Davidson, he'd been made famous in the UK in the wonderful 'Crying Game' and I enjoyed the film a lot. It was nice to see a different culture being used for the alien designs (too much badly done, Californian psudo Celtic/Medieval/Arthurian in fantasy films).

FF
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post

That's a screenshot of the Stargate, not the coverstones. If you look at the scenes where Daniel is in front of the coverstones, you can clearly see the PoO with the figures beside it. They're not on the gate (as in the screenshot you posted) because obviously, they aren't part of the symbol, they're only praying besides it. Daniel paints them on the screen when he realizes that it is in fact the symbol he was looking for (and had been talking about with the figures and all). Figures or no, it's the same symbol.

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

The coverstones had no praying figures.

They are visible on the diagram behind jackson in this image http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...vie01_0363.JPG

You can clearly see the address, the 7th symbol and the praying figures, but on the actual coverstone it's not there. http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...vie01_0363.JPG

Just seems like someone in production screwed up as the 7th symbol in it's usable form is right there for all to see.

sigpic

Comment

http://sovereignreplicas.com/blog/wp..._stone_021.jpg

Not?

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotep Ka Heru'ur View Post
                            Play spot the difference between that image, and the actual screenshot.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...vie01_0318.JPG

sigpic

Comment

They're pretty worn out, but they're there, as visible in this screenshot:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/957...2623h31m15.png

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

Was that from the movie? If it is does that mean they built two cover stones, one with the weird square on top with the two figure, and the other with the more typical Tau'ri POO?

Comment

Working...
                                X