No announcement yet.

Stargate (1994) vs SG-1 : Continuity differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's from the movie and it's the same prop, in the first screenshot you just can't see them because it's too far away and from the side. As you can see in the second, it's hard to make them out even from up close.

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

The one thing noticeable is that unlike the SG-1 movies, this movie was actually made to be a movie. Not a TV show movie. A real movie. I like to think that instead of the movie, SG-1 is filled with continuity errors(Abydos is in the Kaliem Galaxy).
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

You would be wrong. MGM owns the material and decides what canon.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          You would be wrong. MGM owns the material and decides what canon.
          That maybe so, but what really decides what is canon is common sense.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
            The one thing noticeable is that unlike the SG-1 movies, this movie was actually made to be a movie. Not a TV show movie. A real movie. I like to think that instead of the movie, SG-1 is filled with continuity errors(Abydos is in the Kaliem Galaxy).
            I think 17 years of SG would say otherwise.
            sigpic

Comment

No, the word you're thinking of is 'retcon'. The show is canon, and built from the movie, but it retcons a few things from the movie to fit better in a TV series. Abydos is the closest planet to Earth in the gate system (else the whole business with stellar drift wouldn't make sense, and much of the series would fall apart). It really is a better story that way than it would be otherwise, especially given that we later see Goa'uld with ships coming to Earth and quite quickly... which really wouldn't make much sense if the Goa'uld were operating in another galaxy rather than this one.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
              sigpic
              now also appearing on DeviantArt
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                No, the word you're thinking of is 'retcon'. The show is canon, and built from the movie, but it retcons a few things from the movie to fit better in a TV series. Abydos is the closest planet to Earth in the gate system (else the whole business with stellar drift wouldn't make sense, and much of the series would fall apart). It really is a better story that way than it would be otherwise, especially given that we later see Goa'uld with ships coming to Earth and quite quickly... which really wouldn't make much sense if the Goa'uld were operating in another galaxy rather than this one.
                The word I meant was movie. It just feels like a movie not a TV spinoff.

Comment

No, my point is that the TV series retconned elements from the movie.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Are you saying the TV show felt like a movie?
                    sigpic

Comment

The original film isn't a TV spinoff. It came before the TV series, and the TV series is the spinoff.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

They're not continuity errors. They are called retcons. As for the SG-1 films are no less movies than the original. Being based on a TV show is irrelevant. The two X Files films and the first 10 Star Trek movies (discounting the reboot) were based on TV shows, but they were just as cinematic as the original Stargate movie. The only thing that brings the SG-1 movies down is that they are TV movies rather than theatrical productions.

That's because the movie came first.

Comment

As Snowman37 so kindly said(as he always does), I meant that the original movie felt more like a movie rather than Ark of Truth or Continuum which felt like TV spinoffs.

Comment

Feelings are not the same as facts
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

As Snowman37 so kindly said(as he always does), I meant that the original movie felt more like a movie rather than Ark of Truth or Continuum which felt like TV spinoffs.
                              Well, that's because the original movie wasn't a TV spinoff, whereas "Ark of Truth" and "Continuum" were TV spinoffs. The original film was made for theatrical release, with no thought of a television series. The other two were made-for-TV movies, based on and in continuity with an existing television series franchise.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

You all are simply not understanding Rushy. He is saying that the SG-1 movies were not as good as the original due to their "TV movie" budget and production style.

Comment

Working...
                                X