Stargate (1994) vs SG-1 : Continuity differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Metonic View Post
    ..Well in CotG, they mention that... The Gate was moved to a more secure location AFTER the movie's events.
    They do not.

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

I caught the movie on amc yesterday. I've seen it a few times before because I have the DVD but this time I watched with this controversy in mind. Really, even looking for the differences, it didn't detract from me liking the movie. There were even things in the movie that made more sense than the TV shows, like taking a while to bridge the language barrier. I realize something like that would have slowed down the series, but it made sense for the movie.

Comment

Most of the inconsistencies can be passed off due to the fact that the series probably wasn't planned at the time of the movie. A lot of potential discrepancies such as the Jaffa, are implied, but there is nothing in the movie that rules out the possibility of the Jaffa with symbiotes. Other differences that cannot be explained are mainly so minor that they hardly have any impact.
        On the subject of differences, in the movie the ring transporter has eight or nine rings, but in the series it has five.

Comment

Originally posted by Badhron View Post
          A lot of potential discrepancies such as the Jaffa, are implied, but there is nothing in the movie that rules out the possibility of the Jaffa with symbiotes.
          Ra's troops don't have symbiote pouches

Spoiler:
          http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/movies/stargate_movie/screencaps/normal_movie01_1815.JPG

Comment

Honestly, I thought the original Stargate was a terrible film. So dull throughout, which is odd coming form the same director of movies such as Independence Day and 2012. I was hoping for much more action and more than just a desert town and a pyramid.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
              Honestly, I thought the original Stargate was a terrible film. So dull throughout, which is odd coming form the same director of movies such as Independence Day and 2012. I was hoping for much more action and more than just a desert town and a pyramid.
              I precisely like it because of the lack of action. It felt epic on a different scale.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ilana View Post
                I rewatched this movie last night and I have two questions and if these has been asked before then please bear with me as I can't find them.

The first was: from Daniel Jackson explaining that the symbols on the chevrons were constellations to the gateroom where everything was ready was a continuous scene. Did they know that they were constellations but only knew the 6 and were saying nothing to Jackson until he figured out that they were and was able to produce the 7th? I know this sounds confusing, but it was odd to me that they were fully prepared to dial out when he revealed the 7th chevron. I think it might have made more sense if there had been a set up sequence?

Does this make any sense?

Also, what do the creators of the movie dislike about the show (other than they were then barred from making sequels)??
                I think they knew the symbols were constellations...and were withholding the information until Daniel figured out the 7th symbol. At least that's the way I understood it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                  I think they knew the symbols were constellations...and were withholding the information until Daniel figured out the 7th symbol. At least that's the way I understood it.
                  I don't think that they knew that they needed 7 symbols, which is why they hired him. That said, they seemed to know a lot about how the gate worked before he got hired. If you look carefully the dialing computer's program shows the standard 7 boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                    I don't think that they knew that they needed 7 symbols, which is why they hired him. That said, they seemed to know a lot about how the gate worked before he got hired. If you look carefully the dialing computer's program shows the standard 7 boxes.
                    Hmmm...if they didn't know they needed 7 symbols...then why would the dialing computer have the 7 boxes?
                    sigpic

Comment

In CotG it is explained that Carter was working on the stargate two years before Daniel figured it out. I am still not comletely comfortable with this liberty but there is something I tell myself to ease the pain. My view is that Carter was working on the gate and hypothesized what the device was. She probably came to the same conclusion Daniel did about the six points in three dimensional space needed to triangulate a position and a seventh point as a point of origin. Carter might have created the software used to interface with the gate to make the inner ring rotate and most likely the computer interface where the symbols could be entered (the seven boxes that appear on the monitor during the dialing sequence).
                      Her downfall was her ignorace of the symbology side of things that would allow the program to have its successful "recon mission" as stated by General West. It wasn't that Carter was incapable it just isn't her area of expertise. This is where Daniel comes in.
                      Catherine recruited Daniel because she knew he had some interesting theories and thought he could help out and get the ball rolling again since the two Egyptologists on staff were stuck in a rut for two years. A curious aside here, I always found it interesting that the two Egyptologists on staff were working on the stargate for about the same amount of time that Carter was supposedly working on the gate.
                      I know theres a good deal of supposition in my little idea but it seems to fit nicely into the continuity between the film and SG-1. Besides, it's the only way I can live with Carter's comments about working on the gate before Daniel was brought in.
                      One last side comment, and this has nothing to do with this topic, but if the ancients built the stargates what kind of timeframe exists for their creation? The reason I ask is if the Giza gate was placed on earth by the ancients tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago then how can a pyramid be the point of origin symbol for earth? If the gate was put here before the pyramids were built then how can a pyramid appear on the gate? Wouldn't the builders have chosen some other symbol instead? Maybe some type of naturally occurring symbol such as the triple suns used as the point of origin symbol for planet x in the film. Anyway that's just me thinking out loud.
                      "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Michael Benjamin View Post
                        In CotG it is explained that Carter was working on the stargate two years before Daniel figured it out. I am still not comletely comfortable with this liberty but there is something I tell myself to ease the pain. My view is that Carter was working on the gate and hypothesized what the device was. She probably came to the same conclusion Daniel did about the six points in three dimensional space needed to triangulate a position and a seventh point as a point of origin. Carter might have created the software used to interface with the gate to make the inner ring rotate and most likely the computer interface where the symbols could be entered (the seven boxes that appear on the monitor during the dialing sequence).
                        Her downfall was her ignorace of the symbology side of things that would allow the program to have its successful "recon mission" as stated by General West. It wasn't that Carter was incapable it just isn't her area of expertise. This is where Daniel comes in.
                        Catherine recruited Daniel because she knew he had some interesting theories and thought he could help out and get the ball rolling again since the two Egyptologists on staff were stuck in a rut for two years. A curious aside here, I always found it interesting that the two Egyptologists on staff were working on the stargate for about the same amount of time that Carter was supposedly working on the gate.
                        I know theres a good deal of supposition in my little idea but it seems to fit nicely into the continuity between the film and SG-1. Besides, it's the only way I can live with Carter's comments about working on the gate before Daniel was brought in.
                        One last side comment, and this has nothing to do with this topic, but if the ancients built the stargates what kind of timeframe exists for their creation? The reason I ask is if the Giza gate was placed on earth by the ancients tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago then how can a pyramid be the point of origin symbol for earth? If the gate was put here before the pyramids were built then how can a pyramid appear on the gate? Wouldn't the builders have chosen some other symbol instead? Maybe some type of naturally occurring symbol such as the triple suns used as the point of origin symbol for planet x in the film. Anyway that's just me thinking out loud.
                        The "alpha" gate isn't Earth's first gate, the Ancients built the one in Antarctica, Ra brought his Chappa'ai with him, and he found one with the familiar pyramid and brought it to Earth.

Comment

The "alpha" gate isn't Earth's first gate, the Ancients built the one in Antarctica, Ra brought his Chappa'ai with him, and he found one with the familiar pyramid and brought it to Earth.
                          Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. So since the antarctic gate was the first one on earth does that mean it has a different point of origin symbol than the Giza gate? If so what is it?
                          "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. So since the antarctic gate was the first one on earth does that mean it has a different point of origin symbol than the Giza gate? If so what is it?
                            I can't find the cap, but I'm pretty sure you see it in Solitudes.

Comment

I tried finding it in the screencaps on gateworld...but there are a ton of caps to go through. If I remember correctly, it looks similar to the symbol for libra. At least that's what I'm remembering...

*EDIT* I found the glyph

Last edited by LtColCarter; 07 January 2010, 05:36 AM. Reason: found the glyph
                              sigpic

Comment

I tried finding it in the screencaps on gateworld...but there are a ton of caps to go through. If I remember correctly, it looks similar to the symbol for libra. At least that's what I'm remembering...

*EDIT* I found the glyph

Thanks for the information. I definitely learned something on this topic.

Comment

Working...
                                X