Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing... both movies - Ark of Truth and Continuum have just "Stargate", not "Stargate SG-1" in their titles. So actually they can be treated as the sequels to "Stargate" movie. Plus, it's better from marketing PoV.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      I know, I was just saying that just because it's a sequel to a 14 year old movie doesn't make it something people don't want to see.
      I wasn't saying that. I was simply saying that while some movies can get a sequel after 14 years... Stargate isn't one of them, especially when it has a TV show as it's official continuation. Some movies get a sequel after such a long period of time, because people want to see the actors in those roles one more time. Does anyone really care about Kurt Russell and James Spader in Stargate 2? Far more people want to see an SG-1 movie over a sequel to the original film.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
        I wasn't saying that. I was simply saying that while some movies can get a sequel after 14 years... Stargate isn't one of them, especially when it has a TV show as it's official continuation. Some movies get a sequel after such a long period of time, because people want to see the actors in those roles one more time. Does anyone really care about Kurt Russell and James Spader in Stargate 2? Far more people want to see an SG-1 movie over a sequel to the original film.
        Oh I don't know about that, while I personally don't want these sequels to go ahead, I think there's a much larger market out there for a Stargate 2 than there is for a movie continuing the series.

Comment

Its important to remember that while the Stargate film was not the stuff of cimenatic legend the budget was slashed drastically just before production began. As a result Devlin was forced to leave out a large amount of his material from the film. My personal opinion is that the film is extremely creative and a takes a unique look at science fiction in a way that seems very believable. The first half hour of the film is probably the best with the ending clearly suffering from the reduced budget but at the same time really giving the audience something to cheer. Others here who have gone back and forth with me on this issue can attest that I have always argued in favor of allowing Devlin and Emmerich to return to the franchise. I believe the PTB allow the production of the other two films as to allow the Stargate trilogy to be told as envisioned by its creators. Sadly I doubt this will ever happen considering MGM purchased full rights to the Stargate franchise in 1995 in order to produce Stargate SG-1.
          While I love SG-1 and will continue to watch the episodes in syndication I cannot get interested in Atlantis and I'm very doubtful I will enjoy the new series either (though I will certainly give it a chance). It is my opinion that MGM is concerned only with making a quick buck and seems little concerned about the quality of product it is releasing. It pains me to think that another Stargate series is on the horizon and unless the premise has changed radically from what I have read of it the series holds little promise. Many Stargate fans may rejoice at the news of another possible straight to DVD release. I do not share that sentiment. Ark of Truth was a mess and while Continuum was considerably better it still felt like I was watching a season ten episode of the series (with the PTB wisely reducing screentime of the Vala character).
          It is my belief that if Devlin was allowed to return and provide a second and third installment of his trilogy there would surely be a vast array of material that could provide the basis for several new Stargate TV series.
          A trilogy taken in its installments may not seem as good as the overall trilogy. Remember when The Phantom Menace was released scores of Star Wars fans (myself included) saw it as near blasphemy for what Mr. Lucas slapped together and passed off as a Star Wars film. Yet the argument from many was that it was only one portion of a larger story arc and that it should be juged based on what the other episodes had in store. I still have an extremely unfavorable opinion of the prequels but I think that argument could be applied here for Devlin's Stargate storyline.
          What we have seen of the story arc may not take its place among sci-fi elites but how could anyone say with any degree of certainty that another Stargate film would be no good? It is my view that we should remember it is Stargate and as fans of such we should be very supportive of the idea that there are two other films waiting to be created that can really add depth and substance to an already rich and imaginative universe.
          Lastly, I would argue that the number of people who would want to see another SG-1 DVD featurette instead of a true Stargate sequel may not be as great as you might think. While SG-1 did create a large following, it is my opinion that a far greater number of people would rather see Kurt Russell and James Spader rather than Richard Andersen.
          "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

i wouldn't mind them if they were altered to fit with tv continuuity. ignoring the past 11 years seems rude.

Comment

Personally I want to see the rest of the trilogy.

I wasn't happy of the idea at the end of Season 8 of SG-1. But I was never a fan of seasons9 and 10 (they had good moments and it was more about casting decisions that annoyed me) and actually wanted these movies to have the go ahead.

I like Atlantis especially because it is Atlantis and feel the city can offer us so much more (I keep hoping the Ancients have created something that is very smart eg. puddle jumpers).
              Since it also has been canceled I may watch Universe. but I feel it would be refreshing to watch new writers and also allow Devlin+crew to finish off their intended masterpiece.

Mind you I once heard that these sequels have got to do with politics etc. That may have been a hoax but.

In terms of canon-the movie will ignore most of the series but I don't mind that as the movies are different from the TV show (heck different actors could mean we were watching alternate universes)

Comment

Working...
              X