Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're all over thinking this. Let's break it down.

Franchise: Stargate
    Movie: The Ark of Truth / Continuum

The SG-1 movies didn't have SG-1 in the title, because it wasn't necessary. SG-1 is the name of the TV Series.

Spin-off: SG-1 / Atlantis / Universe
    Episode: "Lost City" (example)

When you're doing a movie, you don't need three parts to the title. Simply Stargate: (insert subtitle) will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
      You're all over thinking this. Let's break it down.

Movie: The Ark of Truth / Continuum

The SG-1 movies didn't have SG-1 in the title, because it wasn't necessary. SG-1 is the name of the TV Series.

Spin-off: SG-1 / Atlantis / Universe
      Episode: "Lost City" (example)

When you're doing a movie, you don't need three parts to the title. Simply Stargate: (insert subtitle) will do.
      Yes, it all sounds so nice and neat, trim and proper, until you weigh into account that the SG-1 continuations are consistently regarded to as just that by people who created them -- the drastically reduced follow-up seasons, almost, each with bigger, splashier intents and purposes.

They're SG-1 continuations, and I think they're almost in a separate arena altogether from the original movie for it. To that end, it could have seemed sensible enough to title them STARGATE SG-1: THE ARK OF TRUTH and STARGATE SG-1: CONTINUUM. I, for one, wouldn't have thought thrice on the matter.

But they didn't. And since they didn't, I hope that the trend of not doing that keeps up. I want the Stargate Atlantis telefilm to be STARGATE: TWILIGHT, not STARGATE ATLANTIS: TWILIGHT. Or, if they insist on the latter, then regard the SG-1 continuations as with the SG-1 brand attached for future referencing purposes.

You're definitely right about one thing, though -- I, at least, am overthinking it quite a bit. But I've been thinking about it for a long time, off and on, because I wasn't sure whether AoT and Continuum being regarded as simply Stargate, given their connection to one particular avenue of it and not the entirety, was a good decision.
      If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

How about Stargate: Atlantis. You know, I think it's kind of catchy.
        "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
        "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

Stargate: The chronicles of Lantea

Comment

I would prefer it to be Stargate: (Insert Title) like the SG-1 movies. I'm not so sure that's what they'll do though. I feel like they would want to distinguish it from the SG-1 movies and call it Stargate Atlantis: (Insert Title). I think that's stupid though. I feel like Atlantis was the show and now the movie is the movie and its own part of the franchise.

Perfecto!

Comment

Let's look at Star Trek. Six movies based on the original show, four based on The Next Generation.

Star Trek Movies
              Star Trek #: The (insert title)

The Next Generation Movies
              Star Trek: (insert title)

You don't have to have Atlantis in the title. That's the TV show. This is a movie. Stargate: (insert title) is long enough.

Comment

I think they will have to go with "stargate Atlantis: (insert sub title)" I think this would work best, and to be honest, I think it's necessary to create distinctions between the films and the series they represent. I think that's just logical to start doing it that way. I think Continuum should have been "Stargate SG-1: Continuum" Identify the series in the original title then followed by a sub title. If tptb follow to form they will want to do movies of SGU in five years. SO..
                "Stargate SG-1: subtitle"
                "Stargate Atlantis: subtitle"
                "Stargate Universe: subtitle"

It'll work the other way, but I mean look 10 years down the road. IF stargate is still strong, they will have another series after SGU. We could be talking several SG1 movies, and several atlantis movies, and a couple SGU movies, I think we could be looking at a total of 6 to 8 movies in the next ten years...And I think differentiating the series that they represent would be best, not just for identification, but for those who aren't fans who want to see which each series is all about. Plus keeping them seperate might help creativity

Comment

Franchise name, series name, movie name... I'm sorry, but that's just too long of a title. It's clunky. All you need to proceed the movie title is Stargate so people know it's a Stargate movie. People who didn't watch the show won't care who's in it if the story is good. People who did watch the show will be able to tell which show the movie is based on from looking at the cover art.

Comment

Perhaps you are correct, although, cover art doesn't always give a new viewer what they need. Like Continuum just lists the main actors at the top. Although, people can always flip to the back and read the synopsis, which I admit is what I do if I see a movie that might interest me...So I guess it's not a big deal...I suppose It'll just seem strange at first to have an atlantis movie, withouth the name atlantis, unless they put it in the subtitle, like "Stargate: Battle for Atlantis" or whatever...

Comment

Atlantis - Title

Comment

No Stargate? :O

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Nope. Unless you take out Atlanits, and just be like the others, which would be fine too, but Stargate Atlantis [Title] is too blocky.

Comment

I agree.

So if you ask me:

Stargate: Title

Is the way forward. Besides, I still think it shows a greater respect to the show.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kufan76 View Post
                              Perhaps you are correct, although, cover art doesn't always give a new viewer what they need.
                              A new viewer doesn't care. They're just renting a kewl sci-fi movie.

I like the idea of the title being Atlantis: (insert title). I'd prefer SG being the main title, but Atlantis works too.

Comment

They'd never take Stargate out of the title, they wouldn't want to lose that selling power.

Comment

Working...
                                X