This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    Either way they still can't both be our SG-1, the SG-1 we saw at the beginning might the same as our SG-1 (though causality makes this borderline impossible), but they're still not them.
    Why? If up until Vala's disapearance they've were our SG1, why wouldn't they be our SG1 when it's all prevented, at the end of the day, it WAS prevented.

I mean the timeline was constant till that point, our SG1 just split in two.

Say it had been a Tok'ra that did the Alt Universe thing and corrected the screw up, would you say that the Sg1 at the of the movie wasnt our Sg1?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      Why? If up until Vala's disapearance they've were our SG1, why wouldn't they be our SG1 when it's all prevented, at the end of the day, it WAS prevented.
      No they weren't. In their timeline the change happened, only in our SG-1's timeline was the change prevented. Sort of.

I mean the timeline was constant till that point, our SG1 just split in two.
      They're two distinct groups of people. The two Mitchell's shared the same timeline for crying out loud, how can they not be two different people?

Say it had been a Tok'ra that did the Alt Universe thing and corrected the screw up, would you say that the Sg1 at the of the movie wasnt our Sg1?
      I can only assume you meant to but 'beginning' in there, and if so, yes I would say that, as they can't possibly be the same people. It's impossible.

Comment

they are duplicates of the same person, seems like the old mitchel survived and lived his life in the alternate timeline since they were able to take that picture you see at the end

it's kind of like having your memory being copied into a clone who then continues doing his own stuff
        I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

The First Timeline had the Achilles make it to Boston in tact.

The Second Timeline had Baal and his Jaffa board the Achilles and blow a hole in the side of the ship.

The First Timeline was the one we saw at the Beginning of Continuum. The Second Timeline was the one we saw at the end.

Depending on who you believe to be the Original SG-1...

If the First Timeline was the original SG-1; Sam & Daniel were shot by Jaffa, and Cam died in the Second Timeline sometime in the 20th Century.

But if you believe the second timeline to be the Original SG-1, then they're all still alive, with an alternate SG-1 dying instead.

(Edit: The events that transpired for most of Continuum's plot would be Timeline 1.5 in this case, but it's not important in this regard)

Comment

Continuum was filmed after The Ark of Truth and intended to be set after that movie. Due to production delays, the producers decided to set the film at the start of Atlantis Season 5. Remember, Carter was returning to Earth to be reviewed and then to go see Ba'al's extraction. The solution is to set the movie after "The Seed." There could have been delays with setting up Ba'al's extraction. Maybe the Tok'ra had other things to tend to, delaying the event by a few weeks? A little imagination helps set the movie after "The Seed."

Comment

you have a timeline in 2008 with people starting to dissapear left and right save for the people who happen to be stargating across the universe (under the command of capt c mitchel)

they land in a timeline with ba'al being übergoauld in 2008

mitchel leaves that timeline in 2009

mitchel lands in new a timeline's 1939

mitchel stays in this timeline's 1939, this universe turns out to have been our (the viewer's) universe all along as it reaches 2008 and the mitchell from 2008is actually our mitchel

w00t w00t

PS there is also no such thing as non existence of the previous timelines, these timelines existed and will always exist, we just don't know how to reach them but the ascended beings can do so from their barca loungers
              I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                PS there is also no such thing as non existence of the previous timelines, these timelines existed and will always exist, we just don't know how to reach them but the ascended beings can do so from their barca loungers
                That doesn't gel with the movie. Didn't you notice the alternate timeline overwriting the original? SG-1 wasn't bumped to an alternate reality, the Stargate wormhole simply protected them from being erased. This resulted in two Daniels and two Carters, granted her counterpart's corpse is floating in the ocean... probably eaten by fish. When Cam went back in time to kill Ba'al, he prevented the alternate timeline from ever happening, restoring the timeline. Not perfectly, due to Ba'al, his Jaffa, and Mitchell being in the past. Close enough that the end of the movie matches the beginning. As O'Neill said in "Moebius," close enough!

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
                  its pretty obvious that Continuum happened right after the Seed.
                  if you look closely in the begining of Continuum you'll notice that Carter was a little late to join SG1 on the mission and looked like she just got out of contianment.

also i have a better question. in the time line of "The Last Man" we saw the future and that everything was ok on Earth. so that does mean that in that timeline Baal didn't try to change the past?
                  Well, this is actually a really interesting question. In TLM the timeline is immediately disrupted when Sheppard fails to return.

Continuum spoilers
                  Spoiler:
                  In which case Carter would never have left to go to the new Tok'ra homeworld for what amounts to a symbolic gesture. In which case she'd have never ended up in the alternative timeline; or perhaps the ceremony would have proceeded without anyone from earth being involved at all since they would have been more concerned with the happenings in the Pegasus Galaxy. So no one from the SGC ends up in the ATL.

Ba'al/Qe'tesh would have gotten away with their trick.

Then there would have been no SGC, no Atlantis expedition and no old McKay hologram available to send Sheppard back.

Since we knew McKay exists in the future, Ba'al couldn't have changed the past and the events from the movie had to happen the way they did, more or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                    That doesn't gel with the movie. Didn't you notice the alternate timeline overwriting the original? SG-1 wasn't bumped to an alternate reality, the Stargate wormhole simply protected them from being erased. This resulted in two Daniels and two Carters, granted her counterpart's corpse is floating in the ocean... probably eaten by fish. When Cam went back in time to kill Ba'al, he prevented the alternate timeline from ever happening, restoring the timeline. Not perfectly, due to Ba'al, his Jaffa, and Mitchell being in the past. Close enough that the end of the movie matches the beginning. As O'Neill said in "Moebius," close enough!
                    It could have been an alternate reality. There's no way of knowing, since we saw only one point of view and that was SG-1's.

Comment

The biggest issues with 'The Seed' are also mixed in the "Search and Rescue". In S&R, Carter asks Woolsey if this is going to take long, as she has lots of work to do. That type of language implies she intends to only be gone a couple of days or so, including Ba'al's extraction. Then 6 weeks goes by before "The Seed".
                      Plus, you have S&R's line that the Tok'ra captured the last Ba'al clone. That directly contradicts O'Neill travelling with SG-3 to hand over the prisoner.

I just tend to ignore season 5's implications on Continuum and Imagine it happens just after Ark of Truth.

Comment

Back to the future time travel alters within the same timeline, startrek timetravel creates alternate realities. I am guessing the method of time travel determines which one happens.

Till we know the exact nature of time we wont know which is real, or if theyre both real and are part of a larger system encompassing both.

Comment

i belive the sg1 we've all come to know and love (real sg1) died in the alt time line accept for cam who went back before the achillies set sail, got on the crew, and supposidly fixed the problem (im starting another thread on my thoughts on that). BUT in able to keep things as we know them to have happend he would have had to pretty much dissapier in some way as to not "step on any bugs" after the fact. You could then say that sg1 would still be the real team since technicly nothing diff happend. I suppose you could argue that the mier fact that he went back created yet another alt timeline and that sg1 is now "alt" sg1, but if all happend as it did before continuum than realy whats the diffrence? I would hate to see what would happen if cam did screw up afterwards, than all my sg box sets would be diffrent, lol.

Comment

That raises an interesting question:

1939 cam knows he can't do anything to alter the timeline. I wonder what he did for 10 years that didn't impact anything, but more importantly, after 1939, he shouldn't do anything. Given the fact that even renting an apartment somewhere could have an impact (someone else can't live there and has to move somewhere else, leading to them getting a different job and not doing whatever they do). Do you think Cam would consider suicide as an option once he killed Ba'al?

Comment

Working...
                            X