This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    It's all about the experience of watching it in a theatre.

We have that at home too and can stop the movie anytime we want for drinks, loo breaks that kind of thing.

I think cinemas have been pricing themselves out of the market for a while now. We are a family of five and a trip to the movies costs us around £60 with drinks/snacks. Add to that the cost of getting there and the distraction of a few people who simply can't keep quiet for more than five minutes at a time and it a much better experience watching at home. A year ago we splashed out and turned our garage into a home cinema, big screen, comfy seats, surround sound etc. It's amazing, so to me it has to be dvd all the way.
    sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

It seems that Stargate fans are geeky losers that never leave the house.

Comment

Originally posted by 123456 View Post
        It seems that Stargate fans are geeky losers that never leave the house.
        I take offence to that.

I was a geeky loser who never left the house long before Stargate.

sigpic

Comment

Indeed!

And what's the real point of leaving the house anyway? Why should I have to endure the existence of other, non-fictional people?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Indeed!

And what's the real point of leaving the house anyway? Why should I have to endure the existence of other, non-fictional people?
            Agreed. It's not like non-fictional people do anything exciting anyway.

sigpic

Comment

I agree

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                budget is not everything. For me, it is the story. And Serenity was great and AoT was awful movie. Of course, it's my personal opinion
                That's funny, I felt exactly the opposite. I loved the Firefly series, but I felt Serenity abandoned what was good about the series, and flushed the whole thing down the crapper.

I think releasing an SG-1 movie in the theaters could be a big boost for the franchise. It could do for Stargate what the Star Trek movies did for the Star Trek franchise.

Lives!

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                  Agreed. It's not like non-fictional people do anything exciting anyway.
                  Exactly. When's the last time you saw your next door neighbor battle replicators? I'm gonna guess never.

And they also exist; a total turn off for those wishing to warp reality to conform with their ideal world.

Write fanfic about Sam/Jack, and it's all fine. Write fanfic featuring your next door neighbor battling replicators, and they give you a restraining order. Anyone can see which bunch are better.

Comment

Exactly. When's the last time you saw your next door neighbor battle replicators? I'm gonna guess never.

And they also exist; a total turn off for those wishing to warp reality to conform with their ideal world.

Write fanfic about Sam/Jack, and it's all fine. Write fanfic featuring your next door neighbor battling replicators, and they give you a restraining order. Anyone can see which bunch are better.
                    LMAO!!! Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Damn right. Last thing anyone around here battled was street hooligans, which can be fun in it's own right. But add a death canon inside a mountain which can wipe out life across a galaxy and create a race of evil street hooligans, now you have something special.

sigpic

Comment

Couldn't agree with you more! But if you try that in real life, they call you a genocidal maniac with a God complex. It's so unfair.

*Sigh* real life. Why you irk me so?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                          Does it really matter if the SG-1 movies are released in theaters, like the original movie, or directly to DVD? It would be nice to watch it on a huge theater screen with that booming audio. However, most new releases I see these days are on my computer or TV, and it's just as enjoyable as if I saw it at the movie theater.

I'm asking if it matters to you, specifically, not people in general.
                          Of course it matters. It has a huge effect on the overall planned budget of the film. Films that are slated for direct to video release have much smaller budgets than films that have theatrical releases and its just common sense why that is. A movie released in the theater has the opportunity to make a considerable amount of additional money than a film released just to DVD.

The budget for each Stargate film was 7 Million dollars and had these films been slated for a theatrical release you can bet those budgets would have exceeded 30 million at least.

That isn't to say that direct to DVD still cant make a lot of money because they absolutely can. DVD sales in 2007 were 3 times higher than the total theatrical sales so as you can see SD DVD is an absolute powerhouse and can make even unsuccessful theatrical bombs into profitable films. Still that will never take away from the fact that a successful film at the box office can make anywhere from 100-200 million before it ever gets onto the DVD shelf and because of that fact budgets for direct to video will never equal theatrical films budgets.

Edit....

Oops for some reason I missed the last sentence of your post.

"I'm asking if it matters to you, specifically, not people in general."

I thought you were speaking in general but as I can see know you were referring to personal enjoyment and in that regard I say no it doesnt matter. I have invested a small fortune into my home entertainment system and I actually prefer watching films in the comfort of my own home. The food is better, the drinks are better and even the picture quality and sound is better.
                          Sure there are some films that I enjoy seeing in the theater especially horror films but as a general rule I absolutely prefer watching films on my home system than in a theater.
                          Last edited by OrangeCrush; 08 July 2008, 11:21 AM. Reason: Misundersttod post

Comment

The way to solve the DVD vs. theater feud is to build a home theater that's indistinguishable from a regular theater.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                              The way to solve the DVD vs. theater feud is to build a home theater that's indistinguishable from a regular theater.
                              I have a 46" LCD HDTV and the Continuum DVD has been pre-ordered
                              My Story:
                              http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                                Does it really matter if the SG-1 movies are released in theaters, like the original movie, or directly to DVD? It would be nice to watch it on a huge theater screen with that booming audio. However, most new releases I see these days are on my computer or TV, and it's just as enjoyable as if I saw it at the movie theater.

I'm asking if it matters to you, specifically, not people in general.
                                I don't care if it actually plays in theaters, but I would LOVE them to have the money behind it as a theater film. I'd still buy the DVD, but with so much more money going into it,, it would be amazing. so.. yes i'd be happy for a theatrical release even though I'd just buy the DVD and watch it at home.
                                BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Working...
                                X