This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
    As Agent Dark said, your preaching isn't going to change anyone's mind, fcol.
    Well I don't want to see SG-1 go belly-up is all...

And I cannot understand why people have a problem with that!

*I suppose many on this site download Illegal stuff and don't like the guilt trip, well I'm not preaching downloads are evil...*
    Spoiler:
    Ruining the future of Stargate to save money is!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post

As Agent Dark said, your preaching isn't going to change anyone's mind, fcol.
      I agree completely. The people who were always going to download it will and have downloaded it. The people who were going to definitely buy it are and a leak hasn't changed their minds. People campaign as if their won't be a dvdrip either, there will, and people will download it. The people who already downloaded the leak will most likely download that, and nothing will have changed in the grand scheme of things. Nothing. If it's one thing I've learned on GW, (especially in the OT section) you can't change someone's mind over the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
        Well I don't want to see SG-1 go belly-up is all...

And I cannot understand why people have a problem with that!
        What I have a problem with (and perhaps others might) is your idea that those who download the movie are going to contribute to the Stargate franchise going belly up, when none of the available evidence points to that conclusion.

How many people have you heard on these forums say that they aren't going to download AoT now because they already seen it? Not many at all. Most who've downloaded it have said they can't wait to get the *finished* copy in March.

If you're really concerned with the franchise going belly up, then maybe you should buy many extra copies to make up for all the enormous amount of money that you think will be lost because a very small percentage of online fans are downloading AoT.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          How is illegally downloading something NOT being a criminal??
          because generally to be held liable under criminal law you need to partake in actually distributing those files. Civil law would be different though.. but you dont go to jail for that.

Easy. Cost of shipping, distribution, inport prices, etc.... Also local economics (such as taxes) can make a big difference.
          You've missed the point in my post there mate. My specific example was of a digital download - there is zero cost in shipping, distributing and importing electronic files from one server to my PC. And its not taxes either, because its only a couple of dollars of GST to add ontop. You cannot justify a 100% markup because I live in Australia, not the US. That's not even the best part - the server that I would have used to download the files from is located IN Australia and owned by my own ISP!! (to clarify, they have no say in the price, they're just mirroring the content).

Rape and murder still happen, does not make them right.
          If you're going to compare rape and murder to downloading a movie, then you've already lost the argument

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            Well gee, aren't you making assumptions!!

The reason I never buy a movie/series until I see it, and I see it through LEGAL means, is that I saw it -
            1. at the cinema / on TV
            2. through one of my friends who has bought it
            3. or if by some strange chance one of the myriad of my sci-fi friends hasn't bought it then I'll rent it on the $1 Tuesday special or use a freebie voucher from the video store
            LOL If you want to play the indignant outrage card, better not publicly admit to stuff like
            Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            Did I get to see AoT before it was released? Yep,
            And I'm assuming that since you've seen a film that has only been released by ILLEGAL (hahaha, does underlining it make it more special than bigging it?) means, that what you said about never buying it till you've seen it legally is irrelevant. You've seen it illegally (I think the word means the same even if it's small, now I look hard at it). Now, are you going to pay for what you took? Are your friends going to pay for what they took?

Madeleine

Comment

I find it quite funny that some of the responses to this thread mentioned the "guilt" of those who download films "illegally". I myself have never felt guilty for downloading something which is shown free on television every day back home, nor have I ever felt guilty for installing software software that I simply wouldn't be able to afford and therefore use if I had to obtain it legally.

In fact, most people who "illegally" download movies, music, and software do so because they're unable to afford them retail; in which case, if they DIDN'T download the media, they'd simply go without - ie, the number of sales would remain unaffected.

Comment

Yeah, I can't afford to pay for a train ticket, but it's going my way anyway, so why shouldn't I just ride anyway? It's a downhill journey so my extra weight won't make any difference to the diesel. Sod all the people whose honesty is subsidising me, sod the people who can scarce afford it the same as me but pay anyway.

Since when does "I can't afford it" translate to "I should be allowed to help myself to it"?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                  Yeah, I can't afford to pay for a train ticket, but it's going my way anyway, so why shouldn't I just ride anyway? It's a downhill journey so my extra weight won't make any difference to the diesel. Sod all the people whose honesty is subsidising me, sod the people who can scarce afford it the same as me but pay anyway.

Since when does "I can't afford it" translate to "I should be allowed to help myself to it"?
                  dodgy analogy. a better one would be, why are they charging me twice as much as the other person for teh same train ride?

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                    In fact, most people who "illegally" download movies, music, and software do so because they're unable to afford them retail; in which case, if they DIDN'T download the media, they'd simply go without - ie,
                    This is false. I know plenty of people who can afford a piece of software, dvds, games etc. but choose to download or copy media because they fall into the cheap arse tightwad category. If you really wanted something you'd save up your money like you did when you were 10 and go buy something, or charge it like most adults do and pay it off. No, people download something because they can and more importantly it's free, for them. The only reason sales will be unaffected will be that those people are a constant on the internet and only buy something if there is no way to obtain for free. (need passkey, internet applications and games)

Comment

I have givern in to the Tempation and wtached It, and I liked it!

ALSO I WILL buy the DVD on realse. There4 Stargate have done me proud and will get my money!

bring on MARCH!
                      sigpic
                      Banner Made By Me for Me
                      The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
                        No, people download something because they can and more importantly it's free, for them.
                        Or they want to sample it first, and see if it's worth its money.

For example: A couple of months ago I wanted to buy latest Nelly Furtado CD because I thought it would be a good one. I downloaded it to check if I should head out to the CD-store and add it to the collection of ever growing CD's, DVD's and games. It was the biggest let down in history and I was glad I was able to spend the money for her CD on the one from Timbaland instead who was worth the buying.

Same goes with AoT... It did not in the least bit impress me that I'm going to run over to the store and get it. I could use that money to buy me season 4 of The 4400, or the new season of BSG or Without A Trace.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                          Exactly.

Not to mention the fact that the majority of people who download "illegally" would be quite willing to pay for the things they actually mae use of an enjoyed if - as I said before - the prices were reasonable.
                          In some ways, downloads can be good advertising for a movie.

A while back, I came across a few episodes of "Charmed" available to watch online. I hadn't seen it in years, but I was bored, so I started watching and my interest in the show was rekindled. A couple of months later, I had collected all eight seasons on DVD. Had I not seen the online episodes, it is unlikely that I would have become interested in it again, and I wouldn't have bought the DVDs.

Using another example, if I buy a movie on DVD and invite a few friends over to watch it, should each of them then be obliged to buy their own copy that movie whether they want to or not? They're watching it free, and they're watching a better quality movie than they would if they downloaded it.

It is possible that one of those friends might have planned to buy the movie and decided against it after seeing it, but it is also possible that another friend may have had no intention of buying a copy until they saw it at my house and liked it.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                            In some ways, downloads can be good advertising for a movie.

A while back, I came across a few episodes of "Charmed" available to watch online. I hadn't seen it in years, but I was bored, so I started watching and my interest in the show was rekindled. A couple of months later, I had collected all eight seasons on DVD. Had I not seen the online episodes, it is unlikely that I would have become interested in it again, and I wouldn't have bought the DVDs.

Using another example, if I buy a movie on DVD and invite a few friends over to watch it, should each of them then be obliged to buy their own copy that movie whether they want to or not? They're watching it free, and they're watching a better quality movie than they would if they downloaded it.

It is possible that one of those friends might have planned to buy the movie and decided against it after seeing it, but it is also possible that another friend may have had no intention of buying a copy until they saw it at my house and liked it.
                            I have a similar story, kinda. RED vs Blue is put online for free by its makers anyways, so its not illegal to watch it online for free. and after watching them ALL online. I still got all 5 series on DVD! Even if they are still online! There4 sometimes watching shows online can still make money. The same with Music. I like 36 Crazyfists, however would have never found them if I had not downloaded one of their songs, by mistake. While downloading some Killswitch Engage songs. Because of that, I have now Purcahsed the CDs of ALL the current 36 Crazyfist Albums and All but one of the Killswitch Engage albums.
                            There4 without online I would have never decided I liked them bands and brought their albums!

As for watching a DVd at a friends house, or having them round mine, watching one of my DVDs, Whats wrong with that? I don't understand how some can complain about that, its perfectly legal! If you copied the disc and gave it to all your friends, that would be illegal!

Turns out this was my last post of 2007, so HAPPY NEW YEAR!
                            Last edited by MechaThor; 01 January 2008, 06:20 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Banner Made By Me for Me
                            The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                              As for watching a DVd at a friends house, or having them round mine, watching one of my DVDs, Whats wrong with that? I don't understand how some can complain about that, its perfectly legal! If you copied the disc and gave it to all your friends, that would be illegal!
                              Absolutely nothing, and you're right that it is legal. If you watch the film at a friend's house, or online, then in both scenarios, you're watching the film without paying for it. I don't think that anyone would seriously argue that someone who watches a movie at a friend's house owes the company who produced that film the price of a rental, as it was suggested earlier in the thread that those who watched the downloaded version do.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I made a personal choice years ago to not purchase bootlegs of any media, nor download them.

No one can police everyone's purchases (although the University of Oregon shoved back when the Recording Industry Association of America pushed for them to reveal info on students suspected of sharing files: NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/31/us...?ref=education). Going too far of course but the stakes are high for the industry and its profit-status quo.

Just a note to consider in the discussion. The laws seem to be on the corporation's side and getting caught is expensive, esp if you're a student/youngster, the primary targets for "compensation." The way is paved for all copyrighted materials, so be careful.

Just sayin', I don't know if my personal decision helps, but for sure it won't hurt a franchise I love. Just my humble O.
                                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                                sigpic
                                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Working...
                                X