This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
    Hmm, yes and no on some things. Whether it's done in 3d or not is important. Because, if they are taking the time to model the drones in 3d, then they are more likely to also do the lighting of them in 3d, them composited in, just like you said. What I mean is, by using 3d instead of sprites, it's easier to go that extra mile. Now, yes they could have attached lights to the particle system, but in my experience, that doesn't look as good, and I personally don't think it's as flexible.
    Then your experience is limited. Lighting using the 3D drones will involve attaching a point source to each drone that simulates the effect of the drone's lighting. If the 3D drones are animated using a particle system or some other swarm rule, then each drone gets one light. The same can be done for sprites, which can be driven by a fully 3D particle system or swarm dynamics. It will look exactly the same when it comes to lighting. They most likely do not use the 3D modeled drone surface as a area light source. It's completely unnecessary and just wastes render time.

And using particles is very flexible. If you want to get anywhere in visual effects, you need to know how to use them. Particle lighting was the preferred way of simulating lighting for the lava in Star Wars III. The blobs of lava were approximated by a huge particle system with lights attached so that the lighting effect was the proper shape.

Yes, I know it's called luminosity. I've played with LW before, not a lot because the interface is annoying.
    You don't know what you're missing. There's a reason why it's been so popular with TV shows that don't require a lot of character animation.

But if they know the saturation could be a problem, then they should have a fix for it by now. This isn't their first time doing this, they are professionals after all. I'm just a novice, and even I know you have to be carefull when doing effects/graphics that are going to end up on a TV.
    The effect is intentional. A bright, glowing object is expected to be washed out against the black background. It's the same way with lightsabers; the core is supposed to be solid white.

Comment

Frankly, the drones shown in Lost City were impressive at the time, but a joke compared to their appreance in Atlantis. The most laughable part of Lost City - when viewed with hindsight - was the drones "consuming" the Kull warriors. Drones either detonate on impact with an object or burn straight through them; in their appearance in Lost City, each drone was about the same size as a kids' football - about a quarter of their actual size, and completely unrealistic. Their portrayal in Atlantis is much, MUCH better.

Comment

Originally posted by 1138 View Post
        Then your experience is limited. Lighting using the 3D drones will involve attaching a point source to each drone that simulates the effect of the drone's lighting. If the 3D drones are animated using a particle system or some other swarm rule, then each drone gets one light. The same can be done for sprites, which can be driven by a fully 3D particle system or swarm dynamics. It will look exactly the same when it comes to lighting. They most likely do not use the 3D modeled drone surface as a area light source. It's completely unnecessary and just wastes render time.

And using particles is very flexible. If you want to get anywhere in visual effects, you need to know how to use them. Particle lighting was the preferred way of simulating lighting for the lava in Star Wars III. The blobs of lava were approximated by a huge particle system with lights attached so that the lighting effect was the proper shape.
        Well, I did say I was still a novice didn't I? They probably do use a 3d particle system for the drones. Doesn't mean I like it or think it's the way that yields the best looking results. Unfortunately, the higher the quality you go, the longer the render times. I may be willing and able to wait for the longer render times, but I know they probably don't. Still though, I just don't think sprites look as good. There's just something about them that looks off to me. Maybe it's just me, but I can usually pick out all the SFX in shots.

You don't know what you're missing. There's a reason why it's been so popular with TV shows that don't require a lot of character animation.
        *eyes roll* Yes I know. It's a great program. The problem is I was trying to learn Max, Maya, LW, XSi, all at the same time. And it got to be a bit confusing. And that was on top of trying to hone my skills in other programs. Have you ever had a brain melt down? It's not pretty. So, I'm just concentrating on one thing at a time right now.

The effect is intentional. A bright, glowing object is expected to be washed out against the black background. It's the same way with lightsabers; the core is supposed to be solid white.
        I understand what you're saying, and agree to an extent, but I just think the amount of the wash out is a little high. It not that I think it's wrong, just needs to be tweaked a little. And it's those little tweaks that make all the difference between good and great visuals. Wouldn't you agree?
        Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
        Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Working...
        X