Arthur's Mantle (918)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aadizookaan
    Second, I am a little peturbed. All the Mitchell bashing going on in the forum. Let it go. A torch was passed at the begining of the season, lets accept it and move on.

Third, let's all remember to enjoy the one hour of television that allows us to leave our worries, troubles, and at times hard lives behind. The show is meant to entertain, don't take it too, too seriously.
    Wow! We are all saved! Thank you so much for setting us straight and telling us how to feel about the show and it's characters.

I actually liked your post until the second item. We are allowed to have our feelings about characters. If we all got along and enjoyed the characters equally, this would be a pretty boring board if you think about it.

Sorry, but you telling me how to feel does not change the fact that I do not care for the character of Mitchell and it has nothing to do with a torch being passed.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
      - wait a minute didn't they say at the beginning that the Ancient device had a localised effect?? So why did Mitchell get phased back?? Oh yeah - plot device
      I may be wrong but I don't remember reading this anywhere and you are so right! I mean, how come only Sam and Mitchell were phased out in the beginning and no one else? Yet when they are phased back in it brings back Mitchell who was thousands of light year away. Hmmmm....another plot hole.

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
        I may be wrong but I don't remember reading this anywhere and you are so right! I mean, how come only Sam and Mitchell were phased out in the beginning and no one else? Yet when they are phased back in it brings back Mitchell who was thousands of light year away. Hmmmm....another plot hole.
        It has a localized effect when you engage the cloak. What would be the point of Merlin using it to hide his research if it shifted everything to this other dimention? However in disengaging the cloak, Sam mentioned before Daniel deactivated it that is was possible there was still a subspace connection to Mitchell that would bring him back into phase as well no matter where he was. Apparently she was right.
        My Depth Is Immaterial To This Conversation...

Comment

Originally posted by travis
          OK havn't seen this ep yet but sounds kinder interesting. I just wanted to say that I love Dr Lee's character I dont think he's been reduced in any way, as few fans has mentioned. And the Disney thing arn't we all guilty. Loved it when he made a reference to 101 dalmation in Critical Mass. May be the writer are trying to use as many disney reference as they did with the Wizard of Oz back in the old Sg1 ep's. Any way of to see the this ep now.
          If you have not seen this ep then you dont know how they wrote Dr Lee. I liked his character too but in this ep they wrote him like Feldger. I had hoped for better for Dr Lee.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

***(retakes human form after lurking for about year with the ascended)***

Hello everybody, its been a long time. Well, many things to say with little time to say it. So here goes.

First, I was impressed with this episode. Great interaction with the segmented team members - lets start off with Teal'c : looks like he is large and in charge, the military defered to him while on the Sodan Homeworld. He did what was expected of him characterwize. Now on to Sam :she is back into her groove since her stint at Area 51. She may have made to boo-boo of getting herself and Mitchell into "trouble" but she also had the faith to rely on her fellow SG members to figure it all out. On to Daniel :he is the man, plain and simple. He figured it all out by getting sucked into the "trouble", translating outloud a big "thing", and reboots Merlins computer to save the day. Last but not least Mitchell (note the bold of the name, we will discuss this later):typical Mitchell, runs off trying to save the world by living up to SG1's reputation. All he was doing here was trying to prove that he could lead SG1 and did a bang up job until Daniel solved the "trouble" back home. Like I said, good interaction. The stuff I have watched the show for since day one.

Second, I am a little peturbed. All the Mitchell bashing going on in the forum. Let it go. A torch was passed at the begining of the season, lets accept it and move on. The character is a great addition to the team, unlike the Jonas fiasco of season 6 - not that I didn't like the character, he was just underdeveloped because we only knew him for one season. The same is happening here with Mitchell. He has a lot of catching up to do - Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel have evolved over eight seasons prior to Mitchell's attempt to get the band back together. We all knew by the opening two-parter of the season that none of the original SG1 wanted to be there. They were only reunited because of the Ori's badassness. However, they have come to accept that they will have to stay for the duration to finish what they had started - exploring (and kicking butt in) the galaxy. As for those who have issue with Mitchell calling Daniel - Jackson. Take a look at your own posts, you all have done the exact same thing to Cameron.

Third, let's all remember to enjoy the one hour of television that allows us to leave our worries, troubles, and at times hard lives behind. The show is meant to entertain, don't take it too, too seriously.

Thats all for now, until later...

***(ascends again to avoid the inevitable flaming to follow)***
            I agree on what you said about "Arthur's Mantle". Everyone was in their element. And regarding what you said about Mitchell:

INDEED!! I couldn't have said it better myself. Mitchell, warts and all, is growing on me and I also think he's a good addition to the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
              Oh don't say things like that, you'll start a whole Cam/Teal'c ship thing going.

I do see cockiness as part of Mitchell's overall character, but I agree that going to the planet in the first place wasn't part of that. It was part of his tendency to do things without thinking about them, without considering the consequences of his actions, and without worrying about how they will affect anyone around him. Impulsive and foolhardy, I guess, are ways to describe these tendancies.
              I totally disagree with this. WHile I can see some cockiness as part of his character, it doesn't bother me. From what I've heard about fighter pilots, Mitchell is tame in comparison as far as cockiness goes.

BUt in this ep I don't see his going after TEal'c as something he did without thinking about it. He clearly did think about it when he talked to Carter. He knew he couldn't do a lot but he felt that gathering intel was important enough to go, and he had a plan on how to get back, which was to come back when the gate opened. If he hadn't thought about it, then he would've just gone off without telling her or without a plan on how to get back.

Instead of being slammed for helping Teal'c, he should be praised. A lot of people criticize him for not caring about the team. Here's an example of where he cared for a teammate quite a bit. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation for Mitchell, imo.

And I don't understand how Mitchell going offworld in this case affected anyone but himself. I would describe his actions as well-thought-out and a bit risky.

Comment

Loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it!

Everyone's timing on this one was as near perfect as SG-1 could get. The humor was wonderful with lots of it unexpected, and the drama was also sufficiently strong to hold this ep together well.

Volnek was creepy-scary, and really personalized the Ori's malevolence, for me. I really like the color wash they gave to the Sodan cloak scenes. Obviously, though the ep was about cloaking devices, there are different ways of cloaking and the color wash was an excellent way of showing that difference.

The opening scene between Sam&Cam was especially delightful, as were all the Sam&Dan scenes. Just great stuff from everybody, really.

I can't stop gushing about this ep...

Dr Lee was terrific, as usual, though I'm beginning to suspect that he earned his PHds at DisneyWorld's EPCOT Center... Honey I Shrunk the Colonels! Hilarious!

And, Blue Jell-O! Ha ha!

Cam's constant hunger reminded me of Jonas, always eating something. Wonderfully subtle how, when they were looking for Sam&Cam, they had checked the cameras on the labs and the cafeteria.

Oh, BTW, what's a whoopie?

Loved Sam's frustration at everybody, but also her faith in her co-workers, that they would figure things out - eventually. Her smile of "Bill screwed up" when Daniel entered her dimension instead of her re-entering his was priceless.

So, is Merlin an Ori sympathizer? Which group of Ancient does he want to kill? How does putting the weapon on another planet hide it from the Ancients??? At this point , though, I am so enamored of the ep that I don't see this as a plot-hole.

Major Hadden was terrific, too, and I liked the way his team was kitted out. I hope we see more of this character.

That was quite the swipe Teal'c took at Cam. heh, heh. It took two viewings for me to get why Teal'c didn't seem to react to Cam's presence, but the unflappable Teal'c had been through this before, with Daniel and he knows Cam; he knew he could see everything going on at the SGC, that he would want to come help his teammate and his Sodan friends. Yup, Teal'c reacted exactly in character, there, IMO.

After nine seasons of watching military personnel react with restraint to any situation, I do find that Cam's reactions are OTT. You'd think exaggerated arm-waving would be a dangerous trait in an officer, beaten out of him in boot camp.... Still, nothing he did actually bugged me, this time. (Does the Steve Erkel hand wave: He's wearing me down!)

I rate this ep, outstanding. Gimme more!
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Oh, BTW, what's a whoopie?

it's a reference to Whoopi Goldberg and the movie Ghost

whoopi was the only one that could see patrick swayze. Seen ghost whisperer? same premise, just a decade earlier
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yowo

There is only one thing I dislike about this episode. Where was Teal’c staff weapon? In the old Stargate they would have explained where it was. Did he misplace it?
                    Can't fanthom why. Even if he did misplace it. There would have been lots laying around after the massacre of the Sodan. TPTB seem to love the Rambo style footage lately.
                    A Symbiote

Comment

Second, I am a little peturbed. All the Mitchell bashing going on in the forum. Let it go. A torch was passed at the begining of the season, lets accept it and move on.
                      There's nothing written down anywhere that says I have to automatically LIKE a new character that arrives on an established show. Just because I don't like Mitchell--which I have every right to SAY--doesn't mean I didn't accept the 'passing of the torch'.

I don't like Mitchell. I think the character sucks swamp-water. You like him, fine, I'm happy for you. I don't like him and I'm not going to pretend I do. When he's done things I like, I say so. He was good in Ethon.

And I call him Mitchell because I don't like him. Same as Sam Carter (who was Sam in this episode) swings back and forth between Sam and Carter for me. I have just as much right to be bugged by CAMERON calling Daniel "Jackson" as you do to not care. You don't care, fine. I do. Please, don't tell me how to feel and don't suggest those of us who are not happy with certain aspects of the show simply "accept it and move on."

Dana Jeanne
                      Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                        I do see cockiness as part of Mitchell's overall character, but I agree that going to the planet in the first place wasn't part of that. It was part of his tendency to do things without thinking about them, without considering the consequences of his actions, and without worrying about how they will affect anyone around him. Impulsive and foolhardy, I guess, are ways to describe these tendancies.
                        Which, In My Opinion, is what makes him a poor leader and a bad character. A good leader doesn't have the option to go off half-cocked, to not think about consequences, and not worry about the effects of what he's doing on his team. A good leader does't lead his team into danger.

Impulsive and foolhardy are not character traits I'd want in anybody I have to go into life-threatening situations with. Daniel, Teal'c and Sam should have complained about him by now.

Dana Jeanne
                        Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Originally posted by Elfinwood
                          I tend to agree with you. I prefer the old formula -- action/adventure with a little humor thrown in. Now all we seem to get is slapstick with a thready plot. And it's not like TBTB can't do SG-1 like they used to -- I'm seeing the old formula on Atlantis.
                          Anyone else getting the impression that SG-1's needs are being ignored due to the "baby"?

Actually, I see TBTB being stretched too thin. It is more or less the same small circle of them producing, writing and/or directing for both shows. Something's got give with all that demand.
                          A Symbiote

Comment

***(retakes human form after lurking for about year with the ascended)***

Second, I am a little peturbed. All the Mitchell bashing going on in the forum. Let it go. A torch was passed at the begining of the season, lets accept it and move on. The character is a great addition to the team, unlike the Jonas fiasco of season 6 - not that I didn't like the character, he was just underdeveloped because we only knew him for one season.

Thats all for now, until later...

***(ascends again to avoid the inevitable flaming to follow)***
                            Wow - thank goodness you "descended" to save me and make me see the error of my ways!!! Can you possibly be more condescending? Another example of someone who likes the show and the character presuming to know all and tell those with differing opinions that they are wrong and should not be expressing those opinions, hhhmmm I see a pattern.

BTW - I loved Jonas as an addition to the team- get over it already with your talk that it was a fiasco - he was a great adidtion to the team and I wish he was on the team right now instead of ugghhh, Mitchell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
                              Which, In My Opinion, is what makes him a poor leader and a bad character. A good leader doesn't have the option to go off half-cocked, to not think about consequences, and not worry about the effects of what he's doing on his team. A good leader does't lead his team into danger.

Impulsive and foolhardy are not character traits I'd want in anybody I have to go into life-threatening situations with. Daniel, Teal'c and Sam should have complained about him by now.

Dana Jeanne
                              You're NEVER going to accept Cam, right? Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne

Dana Jeanne
                                Exactly - I agree these are traits that make him a very, very bad co-leader and a very very bad teammate. He gets himself, and worse yet, the Big 3 into trouble and danger with his impulsive, foolish, unthinking behaviour.

How can it be acceptable that a guy that is supposedly such a great leader (still we have been told, per Landry in episode 1, but I have yet to see any of it) and is supposedly co-leader of the elite SG team be so impulsive and without thought that he runs off without regard for consequences of his actions (especially without thought to the consequences it will have on his teammates), without a full plan, and with a cocky attitude that "oh I don't need to worry because SG1 will save my sorry arse so I do not have to worry if I get into trouble because I didn't think this through and I didn't have an apporpriate plan but, hey, no big deal - I got to run around and have big fun. So what if I put Sam, Daniel and Teal'c in danger - they will rescue me and everything will turn out okay." I would not want a guy like this anywhere near me or my team on any military mission or on any team of any kind anywhere, business, sports, military, it doesn't matter - that kind of dangerous, immature, selfish, foolish, attitude invites and results in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X