No announcement yet.

The Scourge (917)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All right, time for my weekly SG-1 ranting. Honestly, I don't have too much to really say about Prodigy. I thought that seeing the team make a stand against the dangerous bugs was......oh, wait, this wasn't Prodigy, was it? No, this one was called The Scourge. Hmm. Funny, I thought that Mallozzi had already written this one once. I suppose I'll have to say something about how completely similar it was to that other episode then. Which I'm pretty sure I just did, so I'll let it go now.

And, despite the complete rehash and incredible unoriginality of the story, which really isn't SG-1's strength this season anyway, The Scourge actually turned out far better than I had hoped. I thought the script was rather weak, filled with cliches, illogic, and easy outs. But for all of that, the actors were rather good collectively, which in turn saved the story from being a complete waste. I'm not saying it was brilliant, don't get me wrong. There was no gain or loss either way for anyone or anything here, and the episode itself was rather flat, but for some reason things got reversed this week. Whereas throughout the season TPTB have had some decent stories to tell but managed to wreck the little things that make them endearing, here they got all the little things right in a less-than-stellar story.

To begin, let's get through the stuff I could have done without. At the top of that list is the Odyssey. No offense meant to anyone out there who enjoys this element of the show, but these damn spaceships are just about singlehandedly responsible for taking suspense and innovation completely out of the writer's repetoire. I'm well aware that there is a large, vocal segement of fans who get all hot and bothered each week with new CGI shots of the spaceships and what not, but I just don't see why the producers have to pander to them week after week. A pox on the Odyssey and all it's house. May they be blown to smithereens by Ori satellites and heard from no more.

And speaking of CGI, I was unimpressed by the CGI bugs in The Scourge. For some reason, they came across as particularly hokey and were integrated far less seamlessly than past effects in SG-1 have been. When they were oozing from dead bodies or busting out of the containment vessel in the lab they just didn't seem natural enough for the show. Eh, give me the big giant fly prop from Bane any day. Just my two cents. And why on Earth does Mitchell have a different gun than the rest of the team? Phallice or not, it's just another small thing to separate him from the rest of the team and make him different, which is not what the character needs. Besides, the P-90s look way cooler. And lastly, is it really necessary to be so over-the-top cliched with the Frenchman? Seriously, we've already got the untrustworthy Russians and the sneaky Chinese. Throwing the difficult, cowardly Frenchman into the mix is just a little sad.

Aside from the staggeringly unoriginal story and script, the episode played really well. The actors on SG-1 have always been great at making up for deficiencies in the scripts, and no place is that more the case than in The Scourge. This was at best a mediocre story. The only reason it succeeds at all is because of the considerable talents of the cast. Ken Girotti comes through again here, providing a well paced, well directed episode. Again, I can't help but feel that Peter DeLuise, Andy Mikita, and Martin Wood are just burdened with trying to direct too many episodes in too short a period of time. 30 hours of tv is too much for three guys to handle. I think the reason that Ethon and The Scourge came out so well is because Ken Girotti simply had enough time to prep and produce the episodes without trying to just get it filmed quickly and move on to the next one.

For me, Carter and Daniel really saved this episode. Carter's interaction with Woolsey and Daniel's scenes with the Chinese ambassador made the whole bug badness of the episode worth it. Snarky, cynical Carter needs to make an appearance more often. The character has a ton of presence and authority in this one. She's the one who has a grasp of the situation and is thinking clearly. Kudos to Amanda Tapping and to Robert Picardo. Likewise, Daniel's discussion of the Stargate program with the Chinese ambassador was a nice touch in an otherwise worthless bit of filler. That was great stuff for Daniel, all very much in character. I'd like to think that all of them--Daniel, Carter, and Teal'c--would work with whomever they had to in order to continue exploring through the gate and protecting Earth. Michael Shanks has always been able to be "on" when he gets his scenes in episodes, and that was certainly the case here.

I, too, liked the Mitchell and Teal'c walk and talk. It was a nice conversation, and Chris Judge's comedic timing with the character of Teal'c is spot on. I am sort of sick of the writers trying to imply that Mitchell knows every aspect of every mission and circumstance that SG-1 has ever been in for the last eight years, be it private or personal. Stop trying so hard to make it seem like he's been there from the beginning and participated in all that SG-1 has been through. The character would be alot more authentic if he didn't know all.

Mitchell, in general, continues with his Jekyll and Hyde nature. Luckily for me, we got Dr. Jekyll this week. Mitchell at least appeared somewhat competent in this one. He wasn't constantly annoying, and was much more in the background here. Mitchell works best when he's working with everyone instead of acting like a one man SG team replete with piloting, tactical, socioligical, and technical expertise that trumps all. There were definitely shades of that Mitchell here, though, which is worrisome. Mitchell's conversation with Daniel regarding the US's treaties with other nations was interesting and it warranted further discussion. I hated seeing that bit of conflict swept under the rug with Mitchell's idiot line of "I'm right". If you're going to have an ethical discussion about the American military's current or future role in a global Stargate program, then have it. Don't just push the idiot switch on Mitchell and have him be dumb and end the conversation. That scene was good for Daniel; it wasn't good for Mitchell. Mitchell has got to be smarter than "Go Airforce, screw everyone else".

One last bit of annoyance for me is the ever muddled command structure of the team. No one seemed to be in charge here. Not that it was much of an issue. Though, it was very strange to me that Mitchell had no clue when it came to the extermination protocols that would be followed by the SGC. That's something that all SG team members would know, most espcially a "leader". For a character who seems to know SG-1's past missions better than Carter, Teal'c, and Daniel do, it seemed like an odd, rather undermining decision for the writers to make. And I don't believe it was intentional, I just think the writers didn't think about how that would come across.

Anyway, to sum up--good acting from everyone, good directing. Bad story idea and script. And bad, bad, bad line about Starship Troopers. I've said this before and I'll say it again here. Winking at the audience, telling us that you're aware that the story is weak, unoriginal, and derivative does not make it ok to do the weak, unoriginal, and derivative story anyway. And Old School? Come on.

That's about all I've got to say for now about Prodigy, er, The Scourge. Crystal Skull is next week. Damn! I mean Arthur's Mantle. We'll see.

Comment

Thought that was a good ep myself! Much more like the sg1 we know, and miss, not so much stupid jokes, it was more of the good old days kinda ep.

not saying it was great, when they were in the cave you could tell it was a set becuase of the sound, listen to it, thats not how solid stone sounds at all

but all in all much better! its like they had a week spot mid season.

Goosey gives it ****
      Good Evening, Good Nite, GOOD BEER!

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
        That's about all I've got to say for now about Prodigy, er, The Scourge. Crystal Skull is next week. Damn! I mean Arthur's Mantle. We'll see.
        Well all these anti-people will wish for the "good ol' days" of SG-1, i mean theres a team dynamic back, the stories are team based again, but still people are not happy...

... guess tptb should just hand over the reins to all us fans who have such a good idea of how to run a show
        Don't put jam on a magnet

my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle

Comment

Okay, rewatching the non Ori version of the episode (meaning muting or fastforwarding past any mention of Ori's or Priors) here's my observations.

I liked the interactions among the team. I loved the silent working together as they fought the bugs. Teal'c seemed to sense them first, and everyone picked up on that and just went to work.

I thought Mitchell was very good here. Didn't have a problem with him understanding Mandarin. It's not uncommon for someone to know more than one language. I don't even think they need to write an explanation for how he can understand the language. It's not beyond the realm of probability and, imo, it doesn't make him super special to understand a quick little conversation. I thought he was professional. I liked the tree ferret thing. Especially since he said it with a completely straight face. They could have played it for comedy, but they didn't. the only thing that I didn't care for, and it was just a minor quibble was the "we're only 24,000 light years."

I didn't feel Sam was wallpapered. I thought her scenes with Woolsey and the rest of the delegates were very good. I could understand both positions with her and Woolsey over what to say to everyone. If I was Sam, I don't think I would be able to muster up a pep talk either, and as a scientist, she's a realist. On the other hand, I think if I were in the delegates position, I would be thinking ignorance is bliss. Tell me what I need to know to survive, but don't tell me anything more than that. I also thought she was good with the French guy. One thing about him. I had trouble understanding him half the time. One thing that they got right was even though the guest stars were given lines it didn't seem like it was more about them in those scenes. A lot of times, to me, when Sam is playing with guest stars, it's almost like the guest stars are the stars and she's the guest. It wasn't like that here.

Daniel. Sigh. Why did they have to do the shippy hints? Ship is like the Ori. It messes up an episode. I don't think I would have felt it was ship if it hadn't been for the lunch scene, where Ms. Shen clearly was sending out signals that she wanted to eat alone, and Daniel just ignored it and sat down anyway. Without that, I could have viewed their interactions as just two people who respected each other's backgrounds. I did like that she mentioned his doctorates, and most importantly his role as figuring out the Stargate. It was nice to have some acknowledgement that he wasn't just hanging in limbo before he ascended. And, the conversation about the US military not living up to their agreement was good. It reminded me of the problem with letting Russians into the Stargate program that was brought up in Lockdown.

Except for the part I mentioned before with Teal'c sensing the presence of the bugs, I don't have much individually to say about Teal'c. I was going to arrange my comments to mention what I noticed and liked (or didn't) individually for each one, then move on to the different interactions between them. But, most of the things that I have to comment about him were when he was with someone else. Mostly Mitchell. I still think it was a rewriting of history to say he had no doubts. Even him saying that he didn't know the Goa'uld would be defeated in his lifetime still had more faith than what was shown in Avatar. If he had just said something like there may have been a time or two when he had doubts but overall he knew they would be defeated that would have been more accurate, I thought. But, I did like the conversation between him and Mitchell about getting an apartment. I liked him telling Mitchell to butt out. It does make me wonder why Teal'c is so adamant not to try again. Maybe get an apartment closer to the SGC? Just to have the feel of going off on your own, and having more than a room. But, I'm sure Teal'c would tell me to mind my own business. I also liked it when he and Mitchell came up on more bugs, and he said that they should keep the conversation to a minimum.

I thought the conversation between Daniel and Mitchell was a good one. Mitchell had his side, Daniel had his. Of course, since it was just a quick conversation walking down a corridor, they weren't going to have a nice long debate on it. Mitchell saying, "I'm right" wasn't a big deal for me. Daniel had an appropriate response, mocking his 'compelling' argument. It wasn't something that he would get angry over, just something that he would pretty much say what he did.

What does IOA stand for?

And, one thing I didn't get about the bugs. When the scientists noticed that they had multiplied and sent them through the biohazard thing, after one escaped and bit the guy, why did they reopen the door? Why didn't they send a warning, send everyone through the Stargate at that moment before they even thought of reopening the door? I know, I know. Because then the episode would have been too short.

The movie night thing wasn't a big thing for me either in a positive or negative way. They watch movies. I'm more interested in their relationship on screen.

So, I felt it was a team episode, everyone had something to do, or to say, everyone was written in character (except that awkward "I'll just push my way into your space while you're eating" thing with Daniel) and if these had just been normal flesh eating alien bugs with no connection to the hateful, I want them DEAD Ori, I probably would have liked the episode more. Oh, and the ship hints.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Didn't scifi do this movie a couple weeks ago? Except with Colm Meaney, and larger bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by KRiZ
              Well all these anti-people will wish for the "good ol' days" of SG-1, i mean theres a team dynamic back, the stories are team based again, but still people are not happy...

... guess tptb should just hand over the reins to all us fans who have such a good idea of how to run a show
              Um.....touche? I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                I didn't feel Sam was wallpapered. I thought her scenes with Woolsey and the rest of the delegates were very good. I could understand both positions with her and Woolsey over what to say to everyone. If I was Sam, I don't think I would be able to muster up a pep talk either, and as a scientist, she's a realist. On the other hand, I think if I were in the delegates position, I would be thinking ignorance is bliss. Tell me what I need to know to survive, but don't tell me anything more than that. I also thought she was good with the French guy. One thing about him. I had trouble understanding him half the time. One thing that they got right was even though the guest stars were given lines it didn't seem like it was more about them in those scenes. A lot of times, to me, when Sam is playing with guest stars, it's almost like the guest stars are the stars and she's the guest. It wasn't like that here.
                I was getting some serious Jack vibes from Carter in her scene with Woolsey. And I mean that in a good way. Her refusal to sugarcoat the situation and her cynicism regarding the whole turn of events really reminded me of how O'niell would have dealt with both the situation and the delegates.

Daniel. Sigh. Why did they have to do the shippy hints? Ship is like the Ori. It messes up an episode. I don't think I would have felt it was ship if it hadn't been for the lunch scene, where Ms. Shen clearly was sending out signals that she wanted to eat alone, and Daniel just ignored it and sat down anyway. Without that, I could have viewed their interactions as just two people who respected each other's backgrounds. I did like that she mentioned his doctorates, and most importantly his role as figuring out the Stargate. It was nice to have some acknowledgement that he wasn't just hanging in limbo before he ascended. And, the conversation about the US military not living up to their agreement was good. It reminded me of the problem with letting Russians into the Stargate program that was brought up in Lockdown.
                Really? I wasn't getting any real shippy hints from Daniel or the ambassador. I think there was a mutual respect there, and certainly the door is open for them to develop the relationship further, but I didn't see anything that screamed "ship!" at me in this episode. When he sat down to eat with her I just took it as Daniel being Daniel, trying to bring everyone to a reasonable, less selfish understanding of the state of affairs regarding the Stargate program. I thought it was very Daniel to have him be advocating a big picture perspective.

Comment

What did you think of Teal'c lunch selection - I though he ate healthy (mountains of fruit)
                  sigpic
                  Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                  My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                    What did you think of Teal'c lunch selection - I though he ate healthy (mountains of fruit)
                    I would think he would have a hard time maintaining his form living on corndogs especially without Junior to help out. Maybe he figures if he gains weigth they will let him wear shirts again.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Didn't have a problem with him understanding Mandarin. It's not uncommon for someone to know more than one language. It's not beyond the realm of probability and, imo, it doesn't make him super special to understand a quick little conversation.
                      For me it's about the sum total of all things. All those little things add up, and it would be much more authentic and provide greater story potential to let the new guy just be. Or maybe it's something ineffable about the way these little bits are inserted and portrayed, I dunno. :shrug:

I didn't feel Sam was wallpapered.
                      In the opening scenes, I was worried for a bit that she had gone mute. Then when I saw it was an M&M ep, I got very worried. However...

One thing that they got right was even though the guest stars were given lines it didn't seem like it was more about them in those scenes. A lot of times, to me, when Sam is playing with guest stars, it's almost like the guest stars are the stars and she's the guest. It wasn't like that here.
                      Yes! That's what I meant about giving them credit for managing to portray Carter as, well, who she is. I know many people love Jacob Carter, but frankly, I was ready for him to die long before S8 simply because of M&M's tendency to over-emphasise him (and other guests) at the expense of Carter (and other regulars).

I felt as you did about Daniel's interruption of Ms Shen's lunch, but I didn't want to say anything... Besides, I figure that could be my own issue with that sort of behaviour in general. The scene worked out well in the end, though, I thought, and I wasn't convinced that there was a subtextual shippy goal for Daniel/Shen. Plus, philology!

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy

Really? I wasn't getting any real shippy hints from Daniel or the ambassador. I think there was a mutual respect there, and certainly the door is open for them to develop the relationship further, but I didn't see anything that screamed "ship!" at me in this episode. When he sat down to eat with her I just took it as Daniel being Daniel, trying to bring everyone to a reasonable, less selfish understanding of the state of affairs regarding the Stargate program. I thought it was very Daniel to have him be advocating a big picture perspective.
                        It wasn't the conversation. And, I agree that he would want to get everyone together on the Stargate program. But, it was the pushy, "Okay, don't mind if I do!" thing that just seemed wrong. She didn't have the air of someone who needed company, and she seemed like she wanted some time by herself to go over her notes, and he just invites himself there. I just got a "ooh, pretty and smart girlie that I wanna sit by and maybe we can hold hands later" vibe. Maybe if he had just asked to sit there, and she had been more open and they immediately started in on the conversation, or if they had all been sitting at the same table and started talking it wouldn't have come off that way to me.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

It wasn't the conversation. And, I agree that he would want to get everyone together on the Stargate program. But, it was the pushy, "Okay, don't mind if I do!" thing that just seemed wrong. She didn't have the air of someone who needed company, and she seemed like she wanted some time by herself to go over her notes, and he just invites himself there. I just got a "ooh, pretty and smart girlie that I wanna sit by and maybe we can hold hands later" vibe. Maybe if he had just asked to sit there, and she had been more open and they immediately started in on the conversation, or if they had all been sitting at the same table and started talking it wouldn't have come off that way to me.
                          Interesting. I got a "things are strained between the SGC and the International Oversight Committee and let's see what information I can get out of the Chinese liaison with whom I've established rapport or at the very least build stronger ties."

I saw Daniel the savvy bridge builder here not Daniel "I really need to get some" here.
                          Last edited by Uber; 18 February 2006, 12:25 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Eh, to each his own. Or her own as the case is here. I can see where you might be worried as I think it's likely that we could see the Chinese delegate again. I hope we do at least. It would be a shame if that whole part of The Scourge is for naught. And I liked Daniel's interaction with her.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              Interesting. I got a "things are strained between the SGC and the IOC and let's see what information I can get out of the Chinese liaison with whom I've established rapport or at the very least build stronger ties."

I saw Daniel the savvy bridge builder here not Daniel "I really need to get some" here.
                              I saw it that way, too. In the midst of a PR mission, the last thing you want is for one of the people to whom you are trying to sell the mission to sit off by themselves. He was a bit abrupt to just invite himself to sit down, but he also recognized that it was his job to try to improve relations and make a connection with the representative of the Chinese government.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAscended
                                I saw it that way, too. In the midst of a PR mission, the last thing you want is for one of the people to whom you are trying to sell the mission to sit off by themselves. He was a bit abrupt to just invite himself to sit down, but he also recognized that it was his job to try to improve relations and make a connection with the representative of the Chinese government.
                                I agree he was abrupt but I think it was done in humor and was also received in humor. Plus his smiles tend to melt even the coldest of shoulders without even trying which is why his talking to her to gleen any information he could from her was appropriate as he had an already established relationship...or rather rapport built on mutual respect with her. He knew he could get away with being a little pushy as long as he was his charming self.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X